– Man dubbed ‘largest facilitator’ of child abuse images pleads guilty – Police uncovering ‘epidemic of child abuse’ in 1970s and 80s
February 7, 2020 Comments Off on – Man dubbed ‘largest facilitator’ of child abuse images pleads guilty – Police uncovering ‘epidemic of child abuse’ in 1970s and 80s
– Man dubbed ‘largest facilitator’ of child abuse images pleads guilty
– Police uncovering ‘epidemic of child abuse’ in 1970s and 80s
Man dubbed ‘largest facilitator’ of child abuse images pleads guilty
Eric Eoin Marques, citizen of US and Ireland, faces up to 30 years in prison over web hosting service
Associated Press Thu 6 Feb 2020
A man once described by an FBI agent as the world’s largest “facilitator” of child abuse websites pleaded guilty on Thursday to operating a web hosting service that allowed users to anonymously access hundreds of thousands of images and videos depicting child abuse.
Eric Eoin Marques, 34, faces a mandatory minimum of 15 years in prison and a maximum of 30 years after his guilty plea to one count of conspiracy to advertise child abuse images. A plea agreement will ask the US district judge Theodore Chuang in Maryland to sentence Marques to 15 to 21 years in prison, but the judge is not bound by the recommendation….
Marques, who spent years fighting his extradition from Ireland to the US, operated a web hosting service on the darknet that allowed thousands of users to view and share child abuse images, according to a court filing on Thursday….
Marques created and operated a free, anonymous web hosting service, called Freedom Hosting, on a network allowing users to access websites without revealing their IP addresses. In 2013, FBI agents in Maryland connected to the network and accessed a child abuse bulletin board with more than 7,700 members and more than 22,000 posts. Agents downloaded more than 1 million files from another website on the network, nearly all of which depicted sexually explicit images of children. Images on the service depicted the rape and torture of infants and older children….
Authorities seized nearly $155,000 in US currency from Marques, who said during an August 2013 extradition hearing that his business had been “very successful” and profitable, according to Thursday’s court filing.
Marques was indicted in April 2019 in Greenbelt, Maryland, on four counts: conspiring to advertise child abuse images, conspiring to distribute child abuse images, advertising child abuse images and distribution of child abuse images….
Police uncovering ‘epidemic of child abuse’ in 1970s and 80s
Vikram Dodd Police and crime correspondent
Wed 5 Feb 2020
Police believe figures showing 35% of allegations leading to guilty verdicts justify their inquiries.
Police say they are uncovering a hidden “epidemic” of paedophile abuse in the 1970s and 1980s, with thousands of allegations leading to convictions against people who abused their power to attack children.
New figures seen by the Guardian show that 4,024 allegations led to guilty verdicts at court after police investigations since 2014 into decades-old child sex offences.
Officers say hundreds of offenders, including teachers, religious workers, youth and care workers, thought they had got away with their crimes. Many victims have been traumatised, and some have killed themselves or been left with severe mental health problems.
Police believe the figures, which show that 35% of all allegations led to guilty verdicts, demonstrate that inquiries into non-recent sexual abuse are not “spaffing money up the wall”, as Boris Johnson last year claimed. Labour said Johnson should apologise to victims.
Officers believe there are many more allegations to come, and Chief Constable Simon Bailey, the national lead for child protection and abuse investigations, told the Guardian: “We are now having to come to terms, as a society, and we are going to have to recognise and accept, that during the 1970s and 1980s in particular, there was widespread sexual abuse of children taking place….
Since Hydrant’s launch, 7,000 suspects have been identified, with 11,346 allegations of attacks received from 9,343 victims, all concerning sexual abuse of children. Some claims date back to the 1940s.
Of the alleged offences, 47% were not investigated by police, in over a third of these cases because the suspect was dead. In a fifth of discontinued claims, suspects could not be identified. More than one-third of the allegations resulted in convictions at court, with 6% resulting in acquittal.
The conviction rate comes despite cases from long ago being harder to investigate because of fewer, if any, forensic clues.
Since 2015, there has been a final outcome in 11,346 allegations of child abuse reported to Operation Hydrant – 4,024 of which resulted in a conviction….
January 31, 2017 Comments Off on All FIVE London Premier League clubs are caught up in historic child abuse allegations
All FIVE London Premier League clubs are caught up in historic child abuse allegations
Police today said they are now investigating 255 allegations involving 77 clubs
Five teams in the Premier League are involved, as well as three in Championship
Scandal came to light when ex-Crewe Alexandra player opened up on the abuse….
By James Dunn For Mailonline 30 January 2017
All five of London’s Premier League clubs and three teams in the Championship are now caught up in hundreds of historic sexual abuse claims.
In what is quickly becoming the biggest scandal in the history of British football, 77 clubs from the top flight to non-league are now being investigated by police.
There have now been 255 allegations made since former Crewe Alexandra player Andy Woodward lifted the lid on the murky world of abuse in football by opening up about being abused by ex-coach Barry Bennell.
It is understood that Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Tottenham and Crystal Palace are being investigated by the Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse Command.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: ‘The allegations are connected with individuals at 77 named clubs or teams.
‘The breakdown for those clubs is five in the Premiership, three against Championship clubs, three against clubs in Leagues One and Two and there have also been 66 other named clubs which would include non-league or non-professional or amateur teams.’Earlier this month, the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC), which is co-ordinating the nationwide police investigation Operation Hydrant, said more than 500 complainants and 184 potential suspects had been identified.
The inquiry involves up to 248 football clubs, spanning all tiers of the game from the Premier League down to amateur level.
Latest figures show the total number of potential victims standing at 526, with 97 per cent identified as male. Their ages span from 20 to four….
Police expect 30,000 new child abuse reports from Goddard inquiry, Cult leader’s extradition from Brazil to Minn. to face rape charges suddenly called off
May 20, 2016 Comments Off on Police expect 30,000 new child abuse reports from Goddard inquiry, Cult leader’s extradition from Brazil to Minn. to face rape charges suddenly called off
Police expect 30,000 new child abuse reports from Goddard inquiry
Exclusive: Extent of child sexual abuse in England and Wales begins to become clear as inquiry passes on 100 cases a month
Sandra Laville Thursday 19 May 2016
The scale of child sexual abuse in England and Wales is being exposed by evidence from thousands of victims, with cases being passed to police at a rate of 100 a month by the public inquiry set up following the Jimmy Savile scandal.
Simon Bailey, head of the national coordinating unit Operation Hydrant, said his team was expecting to be given 30,000 reports of new child sexual offences by the end of the Goddard inquiry, and predicted the rate of referrals of allegations of abuse would increase.
Reports of child abuse to forces across the country are continuing to rise, said Bailey, who is the chief constable of Norfolk. He calculated that the continuing increase would mean that by 2020 police across the country would be investigating 200,000 cases of child sexual abuse.
Bailey added:….”We are seeing a significant rise in the number of referrals each month from the Goddard inquiry, and these allegations relate to abuse in a range of institutions from the church, to schools, the scouts and hospitals.”
Justice Lowell Goddard is running 13 investigations into institutional abuse, which include inquiries concerning Westminster, the Catholic Church, Church of England, and Lambeth borough, and concerning grooming and sexual exploitation in Rochdale, Devon, Cornwall, Oxford and Rotherham, and at the Medomsley detention centre in Durham….
Cult leader’s extradition from Brazil to Minn. to face rape charges suddenly called off
Dispute between Brazil and U.S. over sentencing is behind the delay.
By Paul Walsh Star Tribune
May 19, 2016
Minnesota cult leader Victor Barnard was arrested in February 2015 while on the run in Brazil, where he remains imprisoned.
Cult leader Victor Barnard was supposed to have been put on a flight from Brazil under guard of federal agents Thursday and returned to Minnesota to face charges that he raped young followers in his congregation, but an unexpected delay has popped up, a defense attorney said. The extradition is now on an indefinite hold.
Barnard faces 59 counts of first- and third-degree criminal sexual conduct for allegedly molesting young girls he called “maidens” in his Pine County congregation.
He fled to Brazil, was captured in February 2015 and has been imprisoned there ever since. Even though that nation’s Supreme Court has approved Barnard’s extradition back to Minnesota, a dispute between Brazilian and U.S. authorities over any potential sentence is delaying his return.
….one condition of the Brazilian court is that any potential sentence for Barnard in the United States not exceed 30 years, which is the maximum he would receive if prosecuted and convicted in that South American country….
UK police 2,228 child abuse suspects, Catholic church knew it had abuse ‘time bombs’, child sex abuse inquiry hears
December 4, 2015 Comments Off on UK police 2,228 child abuse suspects, Catholic church knew it had abuse ‘time bombs’, child sex abuse inquiry hears
Operation Hydrant: UK police identify 2,228 child abuse suspects
1 December 2015
More than 2,200 suspects are being investigated by UK police probing historical child sex abuse allegations. Figures from Operation Hydrant – which was set up by the National Police Chiefs’ Council – show the total has risen by almost 800 since May. It includes 302 people of “public prominence”, including 99 politicians and 147 from television, film or radio. Some 761 different institutions are now on the Hydrant database, including 288 schools and 204 children’s homes.
Operation Hydrant was set up last summer to oversee the investigation of allegations of “non-recent” child sex abuse within institutions or by people of public prominence. It does not conduct any investigations itself, but gathers information from other inquiries carried out by police forces in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Of the 2,228 suspects currently under investigation:
Some 286 are now dead, while 554 are classified as unknown or unidentified
Among those of public prominence, 39 come from the music industry and 17 from the world of sport
A total of 1,217 are alleged offenders who operated within institutions, including 86 religious institutions, 39 medical establishments and 25 prisons or young offenders institutes
Other institutions named include 22 sports venues, 10 community institutions, such as youth clubs, and 81 other institutions, such as guest houses….
Catholic church knew it had abuse ‘time bombs’, child sex abuse inquiry hears
‘The big time bomb was ticking away’ in Ballarat diocese, former Melbourne archdiocese vicar-general Bishop Peter Connors tells royal commission
Australian Associated Press Thursday 3 December 2015
The Catholic church knew it had child abuse “time bombs” ticking away in a number of Australian dioceses, an inquiry has heard.
A special issues committee meeting at the Australian Catholic Bishops conference in 1992 noted: “It was agreed that there are serious time bombs ticking away in a number of dioceses at the present time.”
That was the case in a number of dioceses, former Melbourne archdiocese vicar-general Bishop Peter Connors, who chaired the committee, told the child abuse royal commission.
It also included Melbourne’s Doveton parish, where a succession of paedophile priests were sent.
“There would certainly be other dioceses where that problem, of time bombs ticking away, existed,” Bishop Connors said.
“That would certainly be the case, I think particularly, in the diocese of Ballarat, the big time bomb was ticking away there.”
The meeting of special issues groups, set up to deal with allegations against priests, noted it was important the alleged offender be treated fairly.
Bishop Connors agreed with Gail Furness SC, senior counsel assisting the commission, who said there was little, if any, concern about the victims.
The commission heard there was a culture in the Catholic church of keeping abuse allegations secret.
Milwaukee archdiocese settles with clergy abuse survivors for $21 million, Edward Heath abuse claims: Five forces investigating ex-PM
August 5, 2015 Comments Off on Milwaukee archdiocese settles with clergy abuse survivors for $21 million, Edward Heath abuse claims: Five forces investigating ex-PM
Milwaukee archdiocese settles with clergy abuse survivors for $21 million
Aug. 4, 2015 By SCOTT BAUER, Associated Press
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Milwaukee said Tuesday that it will pay $21 million to more than 300 victims of clergy abuse in a settlement that would end a four-year bankruptcy proceeding.
The proposed deal, which will be part of a reorganization plan submitted to a bankruptcy court later this month, was to be reviewed by a judge overseeing the case at a Nov. 9 hearing. Archbishop Jerome Listecki called the settlement a “new Pentecost,” but an attorney for the victims, along with advocates for those abused by clergy, decried the settlement as a paltry amount.
Milwaukee is one of 12 Roman Catholic dioceses nationwide to file for bankruptcy in the past decade over a flood of abuse claims. The settlement announced Tuesday is among the smallest per-victim payments yet in these cases. The actual amount each victim receives will be determined by an appointee of the bankruptcy court….
Edward Heath abuse claims: Five forces investigating ex-PM
August 7, 2015
Edward Heath, who was prime minister from 1970 to 1974, died in 2005
Five police forces are investigating claims of historical child sexual abuse involving former PM Sir Edward Heath.
The Met, Wiltshire, Kent, Jersey and Hampshire forces are conducting separate inquiries into the late MP.
The BBC understands Wiltshire Police halted an inquiry into a brothel keeper in the 1990s after she said Sir Edward was involved in child sexual abuse.
The Sir Edward Heath Charitable Foundation said it was confident he would be cleared of any wrongdoing.
On Tuesday night, Hampshire became the fifth force to say it was investigating “allegations”, but gave no further details.
The BBC’s home affairs correspondent Dominic Casciani says claims made by the brothel keeper, that Sir Edward was a client, meant that she had left herself open to prosecution.
However, the case against her was allegedly discontinued between 1990 and 1995….
Operation Midland: The BBC understands Sir Edward is being looked at as part of the operation examining claims that boys were abused by a group of powerful men at locations across southern England and in London in the 1970s and 1980s. It has focused on the Dolphin Square estate in Pimlico, south-west London.
Operation Whistle: The States of Jersey Police has confirmed Sir Edward forms part of its investigation into historical allegations of abuse. It says some of the allegations relate to abuse “within institutions or by people of public prominence”.
Operation Hydrant: A nationally co-ordinated exercise to collate all allegations of historical abuse involving high profile-figures. The operation has been notified of Sir Edward being named in connection with an allegation of sexual assault in the 1960s….
1,400 child abuse suspects identified, VIPs among Scots child abuse suspects, New Info on the Fran’s Day Care/Keller Case
May 21, 2015 Comments Off on 1,400 child abuse suspects identified, VIPs among Scots child abuse suspects, New Info on the Fran’s Day Care/Keller Case
1,400 child abuse suspects identified
20 May 2015 UK
More than 1,400 suspects, including politicians and celebrities, have been investigated by police probing historical child sex abuse allegations.
The figures were revealed by Operation Hydrant, set up by the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC).
It explores links between child sex abuse by “prominent public persons”.
Of the 1,433 suspects identified, 216 are now dead and 261 are classified as people of public prominence, with 135 coming from TV, film or radio.
Of the remainder:
A further 76 suspects are politicians, 43 are from the music industry and seven come from the world of sport.
….with 357 separate institutions identified.
VIPs among Scots child abuse suspects
20 May 2015 Scotland
Detectives investigating historic child sex abuse in Scotland have identified 110 suspects, including 37 VIPs.
The figures, released by Police Scotland, relate to Operation Hydrant, which was set up to look at allegations.
The force currently has 58 separate investigations as part of the UK-wide probe….
A total of 99 people were suspected of carrying out abuse within 45 institutions, police said, including educational, social care and religious establishments….
New Information on the Fran’s Day Care/Keller Case
State’s highest criminal court throws out 1992 convictions of sexual assault at Austin day care.
Court declines, however, to find Dan and Fran Keller innocent in case involving claims of satanic abuse.