New York joined more than a dozen states this year in significantly extending statutes of limitations for filing lawsuits over sexual abuse.

August 14, 2019 Comments Off on New York joined more than a dozen states this year in significantly extending statutes of limitations for filing lawsuits over sexual abuse.

He Says a Priest Abused Him. 50 Years Later, He Can Now Sue.

A new law has created a “look-back window,” during which claims that had passed the statute of limitations can be revived.

By Rick Rojas Aug. 13, 2019

Major institutions across New York State, from the Catholic Church to the Boy Scouts of America to elite private schools, are bracing for a deluge of lawsuits now that adults who said they were sexually abused as children will be entitled to pursue formal legal action.

New York joined more than a dozen states this year in significantly extending statutes of limitations for filing lawsuits over sexual abuse. Previously, the state had required that such suits be filed before a victim’s 23rd birthday.

Under the new law in New York, the Child Victims Act, which was approved by the Legislature in January, accusers will be able to sue until they are 55.

The new law includes a one-year period, known as a look-back window, that revives cases that had expired, in many instances decades ago, under previous statutes of limitations.

The one-year period begins on Wednesday, and the impact could cause major financial stress for many institutions in New York, including the state’s eight Catholic dioceses, which have faced a series of scandals involving abuse by clergy….

In lobbying for the new law, advocates for abuse victims have highlighted the toll of sex abuse on children, and the decades it can often take before they are able to speak up about it, if they can at all.

It took Charlie d’Estries years to process the sexual encounters that he said he remembered having with a priest as a boy. They were naked together, as he recounted it, and their relationship became sexual. Still, for decades, Mr. d’Estries, 64, did not describe it as abuse, and refused to see himself as a victim.

But last year, when Mr. d’Estries returned to his Catholic school on Long Island for a reunion, a nun he had known as a student offhandedly called him “Billy’s buddy,” a reference to the priest.

In a moment, he said, everything shifted. He was deeply shaken. He realized he had been abused. He was a victim. And he wanted justice, he said.

But he discovered he could not sue until the law changed….

This year, far more than in past years, legislatures in nearly 40 states introduced proposals to expand statutes of limitations. New laws were enacted in 18 states and the District of Columbia. New Jersey was among them, passing a law that includes a two-year look-back window that opens later this year.

“The significance of it is a switch in the balance of power,” said Marci A. Hamilton, the chief executive of Child U.S.A., a think tank focused on child protection at the University of Pennsylvania. “There was a severe imbalance of power that led to their abuse in the first place. The culture shut them out of the legal system until now. For them, this is validation.”….

Lawmakers in New York had tried and failed for well over a decade to expand the state’s statutes of limitations, which were regarded as among the most restrictive in the country. “We used to call New York a ‘shut down state,’” Mr. Amala said.

Each time, the law’s supporters were thwarted in the Legislature by opposition from the Catholic Church, the Boy Scouts, Orthodox Jewish groups and the insurance industry.

In years of jostling over the legislation, the look-back window had been the single most disputed element.

The New York Catholic Conference said before the law passed that the look-back window would “force institutions to defend alleged conduct decades ago about which they have no knowledge and in which they had no role.” (Many of the clergy members named as credibly accused of abuse are dead, infirm or no longer affiliated with the church.)

The State Assembly had passed the legislation multiple times, but before this year, the Senate never took it up for a vote. The political calculus in New York changed, however, after Democrats won control of the Senate in November…..

In future cases, the Child Victims Act allows prosecutors several more years to bring criminal charges, and decades more to victims weighing lawsuits. But advocates and lawyers stressed that the new law does not apply retroactively, meaning that virtually every abuse survivor older than 23 must bring any claims through the look-back window.

In the Rockefeller University case, the endocrinologist, Dr. Reginald Archibald, who died in 2007, is accused of abusing scores of boys and teenagers….

The Rockefeller University Hospital, through a spokesman, declined to comment. In a statement last year, the hospital acknowledged reports of “certain inappropriate conduct during patient examinations,” and sent a letter alerting about 1,000 former patients to the allegations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/nyregion/child-victims-act-lawsuit.html

The 2019 Annual Child and Ritual Abuse Conference with Alison Miller, Neil Brick and Daniel Roemer
S.M.A.R.T.’s conference on August 17 – 18, 2019 in Connecticut Special low income prices are available.

Bryan Singer sex abuse accuser names three more Hollywood bigwigs in lawsuits

April 22, 2014 Comments Off on Bryan Singer sex abuse accuser names three more Hollywood bigwigs in lawsuits

Bryan Singer sex abuse accuser names three more Hollywood bigwigs in lawsuits
Michael Egan III, 31, claims ex-NBC Entertainment head Garth Ancier forced him to have oral sex and both former Disney exec David Neuman and Broadway producer Gary Goddard also engaged in inappropriate behavior with him as a minor in the ’90s.
BY Nancy Dillon NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Monday, April 21, 2014

The Nevada actor who publicly accused “X-Men” director Bryan Singer of sexually abusing him when he was 15 named three other Hollywood figures on Monday and said they too preyed on him during his teenage years.

Michael Egan III, 31, filed new federal lawsuits on Monday that accuse Garth R. Ancier, Gary Wayne Goddard and David Alexander Neuman of sexually assaulting him when he was as a minor in the late ’90s.

Egan and his lawyer, Jeff Herman, who previously represented victims in the molestation lawsuits against “Sesame Street” puppeteer Kevin Clash, said the three men were allegedly part, along with Singer, of a “sordid sex ring” that preyed on teenage boys seeking stardom in Tinseltown. They allegedly attended “notorious parties” in Los Angeles and Hawaii, where underage boys were “groomed” to be sexually victimized and plied with drugs, alcohol and gifts — and sometimes subjected to violence, according to Egan and his lawyer.

Efforts to reach the three men for comment were not immediately successful….

Egan filed a separate federal lawsuit last week against the “X-Men” director, claiming that Singer repeatedly sexually abused him when he was a vulnerable teen in the late ’90s. The accusations include forced sodomy.

Singer has denied the allegations, and his lawyer raising the possibility of a counter suit….
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/bryan-singer-sex-abuse-accuser-names-hollywood-bigwigs-lawsuits-article-1.1764009

Bryan Singer Accuser — Alleged Sex Abuse Victim Accuses 3 More Hollywood Honchos
4/21/2014  BY TMZ STAFF

The man who has sued “X-Men” director Bryan Singer — claiming he was sexually assaulted when he was 15 — has just filed lawsuits against 3 other Hollywood big wigs, also claiming sexual assault.

The 3 men named in the new lawsuit are Garth Ancier, David Neuman and Gary Goddard.

Ancier has a slew of hits under his belt, including The Ricki Lake Show, which he created.  He headed up the Fox entertainment group and produced 21 Jump Street, Married … with Children, The Simpsons and In Living Color.  He also developed Home Improvement at Disney.  And at NBC he put The West Wing on the air.

Neuman is the former president of Disney TV.  Goddard produced off-Broadway shows.

According to the new lawsuits, Ancier sexually abused Egan numerous times by sodomizing him, forcing oral sex and fondling him — when he was 15 at an Encino estate.   The suit goes on to allege Ancier sexually abused Egan in Hawaii 2 years later.

The suit against Goddard and Neuman are similar — alleging they were part of a Hollywood sex ring, giving Egan alcohol and drugs and sexually assaulted him at the Encino estate and in Hawaii….

The state of Hawaii has allowed alleged victims of sexual assault to sue, even if the statute of limitations has long since expired — but the deadline for filing is Thursday.
http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/21/michael-egan-press-conference-hollywood-sex-ring-lawsuit-bryan-singer

More lawsuits filed over sex abuse of Haitian boys, Molho – severe physical abuse

January 6, 2012 Comments Off on More lawsuits filed over sex abuse of Haitian boys, Molho – severe physical abuse

More lawsuits filed over sex abuse of Haitian boys
By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN  AP 1/5/12

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — Seventeen Haitian men are suing Fairfield University in Connecticut, the Society of Jesus and others alleging they failed to protect them from a man who sexually abused them when they were poor children or young adults attending a school he founded in Haiti.

The lawsuits bring to 21 the number of alleged victims suing Douglas Perlitz and the others. Perlitz was sentenced in 2010 to nearly 20 years in prison for sexually abusing children at Project Pierre Toussaint.

The victims ranged from ages 9 to 21 at the time of the abuse and are now 18 to 29.

The lawsuits seek $20 million for each victim. They contend Perlitz’s supervisors disregarded warning signs of inappropriate behavior with boys.

The Rev. Paul Carrier, a Jesuit priest who was Fairfield University’s chaplain, saw Perlitz show a student a pornographic video and saw boys in his bedroom, according to the lawsuits. A school board member, Hope Carter, flew to Haiti in 2008 and removed Perlitz’s computer, according to the lawsuits.
http://news.yahoo.com/more-lawsuits-filed-over-sex-abuse-haitian-boys-165002483.html

Toward the Within – George Molho Author, ‘Scarred: A Memoir’ 1/3/12

In 1978, at the age of 7, I was kidnapped and tortured for a year, taken by my father from my home in Houston, Texas to the northern mountains of Greece.

Born of my mother’s love and my father’s fury, I was his proof to the world that he could succeed at something. But the boy I was died in those mountains. I’ll never know what life he would have had….
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george-molho/writing-toward-the-within_b_1182285.html

Scarred, a Memoir
In 1978, seven-year-old George Molho was kidnapped by his own father. For a year, he survived mental and physical abuse to the point of torture. He found it easier to get used to hell, instead of hoping that heaven was around the corner. George eventually escaped, but surviving the aftermath proved to be much more difficult.

describes abuse in detail
http://georgemolho.com/scarred/

Germany mass child abuse, Knights of Columbus accused of child abuse, porn ring

December 16, 2010 Comments Off on Germany mass child abuse, Knights of Columbus accused of child abuse, porn ring

Germany admits enslaving and abusing a generation of children
Lawsuits accuse Knights of Columbus of child abuse
Federal authorities say they broke up a global child porn ring

Germany admits enslaving and abusing a generation of children
Government agrees up to €120m in compensation for three decades of post-war ‘Nazi-era’ brutality in foster homes  By Tony Paterson in Berlin  Tuesday, 14 December 2010

Germany has owned up to one of the most disturbing examples of mass child and youth abuse in its post-war history, some 60 years after the first teenagers started being locked away and mistreated by supposedly “caring” foster homes.

The country agreed yesterday to provide a €120m (£101m) compensation fund for the estimated 30,000 victims who were among the 800,000 children in German foster homes in the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies.

Institutions that for decades meted out inhuman treatment – including ritual beatings, periods of solitary confinement, forced labour and sexual assaults – were not youth remand centres or borstals as might be expected, but homes run by nuns and priests in former West Germany’s Catholic and Protestant churches, as well as state-run homes.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germany-admits-enslaving-and-abusing-a-generation-of-children-2159589.html

Lawsuits accuse Knights of Columbus of child abuse NEW HAVEN, Connecticut Dec 14, 2010 (Reuters) – The Knights of Columbus was sued on Tuesday by two men who said they were sexually abused as children by a leader of a youth group run by the Roman Catholic fraternal organization. The federal lawsuits allege that Knights of Columbus officials knew a leader of the Columbian Squires youth group in Texas was molesting children but did not make any effort to stop him or remove him from the position.

The suits are believed to be the first child sex abuse claims filed against the Catholic group, said Jeffrey Herman, the attorney representing the two alleged victims….
“We emphatically deny the allegations that have been made,” said Patrick Korten, a spokesman for the Knights of Columbus.
With 1.8 million members worldwide, the Knight of Columbus is the world’s largest Catholic mens’ organization and is focused on charity work….

In one of the lawsuits, an unnamed Kansas resident claims the Squires leader abused him from 1978, when he was 10 years old, until 1986.
He claims the leader shared him with other youth counselors in the group and threatened to kill him if he told anyone, the lawsuit said.
The second lawsuit came from Texas resident Jim Dennany, who said he alerted Knights of Columbus officials in 1986 to assaults he said he suffered in the 1970s when he was a young teenager.

He claimed the group took no action, concealed the allegations and told him to keep quiet, according to the lawsuit….
The Knights of Columbus spokesman said the group first became aware of allegations of sexual abuse against Rivera in December 2009.
“We acted immediately, removing him from any responsibility involving youth programs,” Korten said. The group also alerted local authorities in Brownsville, Texas…
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6BD5LW20101214

Federal authorities say they broke up a global child porn ring By Michael Martinez, CNN December 15, 2010 Los Angeles (CNN) — Federal authorities announced Tuesday they dismantled an international child pornography ring that allowed its 35 male members to trade thousands of images and videos of boys in sexually explicit situations through a website.

The announcement was made in the wake of Monday’s guilty plea by a Georgia man to transporting child pornography using a secret Internet bulletin board called “Lost Boy.” That website operated from September 2007 to January 2009, when authorities shut it down and began investigating the men who operated it, officials said….

The investigation has also led to the identification of 27 victims of child abuse in the United States, including some whose images were posted on the Lost Boy bulletin board, officials said….

The bulletin board also had a “Handbook Project,” where members contributed to a guide on how to find and groom boys to engage in sex and how to move on to other victims when the current victim grows too old to be attractive to the members, authorities said.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/14/california.child.porn/index.html

Obama Administration Backs Vatican In Pedophile Case

May 26, 2010 § Leave a comment


25 May 2010, (NewsCore) – The Obama administration in a brief to the Supreme Court has backed the Vatican’s claim of immunity from lawsuits arising from cases of sexual abuse by priests in the United States, AFP reported Tuesday. The Supreme Court is considering an appeal by the Vatican of an appellate court ruling that lifted its immunity in the case of an alleged pedophile priest from Oregon. In a filing on Friday, the solicitor general’s office argued that the Ninth Circuit court of appeals erred in allowing the lawsuit brought by a man who claims he was sexually abused in the 1960s by the Oregon priest.

The unnamed plaintiff, who cited the Holy See and several other parties as defendants, argued the Vatican should be held responsible for transferring the priest to Oregon and letting him serve there despite previous accusations he had abused children in Chicago and in Ireland. The solicitor general’s office, which defends the position of President Barack Obama’s administration before the Supreme Court, said the Ninth Circuit improperly found the case to be an exception to the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, a 1976 federal law that sets limits on when other countries can face lawsuits in U.S. courts.
http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpps/news/obama-administration-backs-vatican-in-pedophile-case-km-20100525_7741141

Where Am I?

You are currently browsing entries tagged with lawsuits at Eassurvey's Weblog.