Sweep 255 suspected child predators, child abuse cover-ups, North Wales, Stuart Hall, Nottinghamshire
July 16, 2013 Comments Off on Sweep 255 suspected child predators, child abuse cover-ups, North Wales, Stuart Hall, Nottinghamshire
– Sweep snares 255 suspected child predators, rescues 61 children, officials say
– The truth behind the child abuse cover-ups child abuse in North Wales care homes
– Stuart Hall faces new rape allegations
– Police investigating over 50 allegations of sexual and physical abuse at former children’s home (Nottinghamshire homes)
– Ex-teacher faces 47 charges of historical sexual abuse
– Global Perspectives on Dissociative Disorders
Sweep snares 255 suspected child predators, rescues 61 children, officials say
By Andy Gross and Daniel Arkin, NBC News July 14,2013
Law enforcement officials announced Monday that a recent five-week sweep snared more than 250 suspected child predators, including nine teachers and three clergymen.
Director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement John Morton said that 255 child predators were arrested and 61 child victims were rescued in so-called “Operation iGuardian,” which targeted online sexual abusers as well as those who possess, produce or trade child pornography.
Morton said that the international investigation, which ran from May 28 to June 30, revealed that online sexual abuse is pervasive and growing….
Twenty-two of the victims were 9 years old or younger — including four under the age of 3. The remaining 39 children were between the ages of 10 and 17, according to the ICE news release.
Of those arrested, 20 people were charged with online sexual enticement of a minor, with the remaining 235 people charged with child pornography production, possession or distribution of child pornography, traveling with the intent to have sex with a minor, or other offenses, including rape, according to the ICE release….
Investigators have arrested 1,674 people in similar investigations this fiscal year alone, ICE officials said.
The truth behind the child abuse cover-ups
The report that first exposed child abuse in North Wales care homes has finally been published. But, says Eileen Fairweather, damning details have still been left out
By Eileen Fairweather 13 Jul 2013
Seventeen years ago, a nervous-sounding woman rang and asked me to publicise a top-secret report. She was not the whistleblower, she explained, but a go-between. She would not give me her name: “It’s safer if you don’t know.”
That secret report revealed the extensive rape and savage beating of countless children in North Wales children’s homes. It was titled “Child Abuse: An independent investigation commissioned by Clwyd County Council, period 1974-1995”. Last week, John Jillings’s report on the Clwyd scandal was finally published. But Flintshire county council – successor to Clwyd – has heavily censored it. I dug out the original and discovered, unsurprisingly, that the cover-up continues….
as one investigation rapidly led to another, and I realised that paedophiles had comprehensively infiltrated Britain’s children’s homes since the 1970s.
Back in 1996, only a handful of local politicians and officials were allowed a copy of Jillings’s report. They were told – by police, insurers and the council – that they risked their careers, arrest and being personally sued if a word reached the media. The uncensored Jillings report includes these chilling threats.
Every report had a number, imprinted as a large watermark on every page. Any journalist who quoted it would supposedly be ordered by the courts to produce their copy or photocopy or face jail, and the watermark would expose their source….
Jillings, in the non-redacted report, reveals that one head of a home who allegedly cruelly beat boys even had a post secured for him by Clwyd at an exotic holiday destination abroad. Might some who failed to act now be investigated for neglect or conspiracy? When does inertia become criminal?
Many children ran away, but police returned them, weeping, to their abusers. At Bryn Estyn – famously described by Jillings as “the Colditz of residential care” – one boy was crammed into a laundry basket, the lid tied shut and tossed into a swimming pool. Other children saved him from drowning….
The real martyrs are the care children who killed themselves or died violently. Jillings lists 12. He called them R1, R2, etc, with just a few poignant lines about their deaths by hanging or falling from heights. My hand ached after I wrote out that report, and so did my heart.
I later learnt of four other abused boys who died tragically or mysteriously. I rang the secretariat of the Waterhouse tribunal and asked if it would examine the deaths of these 16 boys. The official said no and, when I asked why not, became supercilious. If they’re dead, he snapped, they can’t give evidence – can they?….
Stuart Hall faces new rape allegations
Fresh allegations of rape and sexual assault against Stuart Hall have emerged, after he was jailed for 15 months for a string of child sex offences. By Daniel Johnson 15 Jul 2013
Five new claims, including the alleged rape of a 12-year-old girl, have been made against the former BBC broadcaster, it has been reported.
The former It’s A Knockout presenter, 83, was jailed last month after admitting 14 counts of indecent assault against girls as young as nine between 1967 and 1987.
A Lancashire Police spokesman said: “We can confirm that we have received further allegations against Mr Hall and we are working closely with the Crown Prosecution Service to determine the most appropriate course of action….
Police investigating over 50 allegations of sexual and physical abuse at former children’s home
Police investigating abuse at council-run Beechwood home in Mapperley
Six victims previously came forward in 2011, five years after the home shut
Also looking at claims of abuse at three other Nottinghamshire homes
By Daily Mail Reporter 14 July 2013
Police are investigating more than 50 allegations of physical or sexual abuse at a former children’s home.
Nottinghamshire Police said they are investigating claims that people were abused at the council-run Beechwood Children’s Home in Mapperley, Nottinghamshire.
Some of the allegations date back nearly 30 years.
Ex-teacher faces 47 charges of historical sexual abuse Mon 15 Jul 2013
A man has been charged following an investigation into historical sexual abuse at a school in Trafford, Greater Manchester.
Alan Morris, 63, of Hale has been charged with 47 offences.
The charges are for offences alleged to have taken place between 1972 and 1991 and involve 29 boys aged between 11 and 17 during their time at St Ambrose RC School in Hale Barns.
Global Perspectives on Dissociative Disorders
Individual and Societal Oppression
Edited by Vedat Sar, Warwick Middleton, Martin Dorahy
To Be Published January 13th 2014 by Routledge – 192 pages
Dissociative disorders are one of the psychiatric consequences of childhood psychological trauma. While oppression is an aspect of traumatic conditions, dissociation undermines resistance to oppression throughout a person’s lifespan. Neither oppression nor dissociation are restricted to particular cultures, and both can affect the individual as well as societies.
This collection engages with the universality of dissociative disorders and their close relationship to oppression. The chapters cover extreme examples such as ongoing incest in adulthood, children and adults forced to kill others, and abusive states in interrogation. Further subjects examined include the utilization of dissociation in postmodern societies to maintain oppression, the oppressive conditions of asylum seekers and the consequences of oppression as they are dealt with in psychotherapy. The final chapter considers how a paedophile pandering network employed multi-layered oppression to prevent the public becoming aware of the widespread and organised abuse of children….
Prosecution Backtracks in Sex-Abuse Fraud Case, Jillings report confirms ‘extensive’ abuse at north Wales children’s homes
July 9, 2013 Comments Off on Prosecution Backtracks in Sex-Abuse Fraud Case, Jillings report confirms ‘extensive’ abuse at north Wales children’s homes
Prosecution Backtracks in Sex-Abuse Fraud Case
By MOSI SECRET July 8, 2013
Brooklyn prosecutors had been scheduled on Monday to open the trial of an Orthodox Jew charged with paying a child to falsely testify that he was a victim of sexual abuse.
But in a dramatic reversal, they told the trial judge that their key witness was no longer trustworthy, indicating the potential collapse of a controversial case that highlighted the complicated relationship between District Attorney Charles J. Hynes and the politically influential Orthodox community.
The case against the defendant, Sam Kellner, has been unusual from the start. Mr. Kellner had accused a prominent Hasidic cantor, Baruch Lebovits, of molesting his son, and Mr. Kellner helped the district attorney’s office identify other victims, leading to Mr. Lebovits’s conviction in March 2010.
But four months later, one victim who testified against Mr. Lebovits before a grand jury told prosecutors that he had testified only because Mr. Kellner paid him $10,000. Prosecutors turned around and won the indictment of Mr. Kellner, using the original accuser, now an adult, as their key witness in the new case. Mr. Kellner was also charged with trying to extort $400,000 from the Lebovits family to keep other children from making accusations….
In State Supreme Court in Brooklyn on Monday, prosecutors told the judge, Ann M. Donnelly, that they learned a couple of weeks ago that their witness had made the accusations against Mr. Kellner after accepting financial assistance from Mr. Lebovits’s supporters. That money went to paying for his lawyer; his travel to and from Israel, where he is a student; his apartment; and his school fees.
The judge delayed the trial until July 29 to give prosecutors time to investigate the witness, who previously had said Mr. Lebovits had raped him. A lawyer for Mr. Kellner, Niall MacGiollabhui, said after the hearing that he approached Mr. Hynes’s office months ago with evidence that supporters of Mr. Lebovits were manipulating the accuser….
The concerns come even from inside the district attorney’s office, where some have worried that Mr. Lebovits’s lawyer, Arthur L. Aidala, had undue influence.
Mr. Aidala, who used to work in the office, had brought the allegations against Mr. Kellner directly to the chief of the district attorney’s rackets division, Michael F. Vecchione. Mr. Aidala turned over an audio recording of a conversation that he said showed Mr. Kellner trying to extort money from Mr. Lebovits’s son, according to discovery material in the case. A translation of the conversation issued by the prosecutor’s office is ambiguous.
Mr. Aidala, who is a campaign contributor to Mr. Hynes and the vice president of Mr. Hynes’s nonprofit foundation, has boasted to prosecutors about his access to and influence with Mr. Hynes and Mr. Vecchione, according to a law enforcement official with knowledge of the case….
Jillings report confirms ‘extensive’ abuse at north Wales children’s homes
Heavily redacted version of 300-page report finally published after 20 years following freedom of information requests
Steven Morris guardian.co.uk, Monday 8 July 2013
A report into physical and sexual abuse at children’s homes that was suppressed for almost 20 years concluded there was “extensive” mistreatment of young people over a “substantial” number of years.
The Jillings report into residential care units in north Wales, which has finally been released, said the lives of many children had been blighted by the abuse they suffered while living at the homes….
But it concluded: “Our investigations have led us to conclude that the abuse of children and young people in Clwyd residential units has been extensive and has taken place over a substantial number of years.
“It’s clear in a significant number of cases the lives of young people who have been through the care system in Clwyd have been severely disrupted. At least 12 young people are dead.”
The report said the role of other agencies including North Wales police and the Welsh Office needed “careful and detailed scrutiny”.
It expressed concern there was “no mechanism to ensure that independent investigations are conducted of allegations against former and serving police officers”.
The report added: “Time and time again the responses to indications that children may have been abused has been too little and too late. The criticisms apply not only to Clwyd county council but also to the Welsh Office and North Wales police.”….
A police investigation ordered by David Cameron at the height of the McAlpine scandal is under way. So far more than 140 people have told police they were victims of abuse at children’s homes across north Wales between 1963 and 1992.