Former Prosecutor Who Declined to Charge Bill Cosby in 2005 Says he Believed Accuser Andrea Constand, Good news, bad news for Bill Cosby in civil suits in California, Catholic Church settles 30 of 40 priest sex abuse lawsuits, Pitcairn mayor charged with possessing child abuse material wants to face ‘local law’

February 3, 2016 Comments Off on Former Prosecutor Who Declined to Charge Bill Cosby in 2005 Says he Believed Accuser Andrea Constand, Good news, bad news for Bill Cosby in civil suits in California, Catholic Church settles 30 of 40 priest sex abuse lawsuits, Pitcairn mayor charged with possessing child abuse material wants to face ‘local law’

Former Prosecutor Who Declined to Charge Bill Cosby in 2005 Says he Believed Accuser Andrea Constand
By Nicole Weisensee Egan  02/02/2016
Even though he declined to charge Bill Cosby when sexual assault allegations were brought to him in 2005, and despite spending much of his testimony Tuesday alleging that accuser Andrea Constand’s story had “inconsistencies,” former Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor, Jr. nonetheless testified he thinks Constand was telling the truth.

“I believed Ms. Constand’s account,” Castor said at a hearing in Norristown, Pennsylvania. “What I think and what is provable in a courtroom are two different things. What I think is that Andrea Constand was inappropriately touched by Mr. Cosby.

“I’m analyzing back in 2005 what I can prove,” Castor said. “All of those combined together in my mind created a situation where she had ruined her own credibility and would not be believed by a juror. That does not mean she was not telling the truth.”

Castor testified he never interviewed or even met Constand himself. He testified for more than six hours Tuesday at a pre-trial hearing, and was the only witness to testify.

Constand, 42, is the former director of operations for the Temple University women’s basketball team who went to authorities in January 2005 with allegations that, in January 2004, Cosby gave her pills at his house that knocked her out and then sexually assaulted her.

Castor, the Montgomery County district attorney at the time, did not file criminal charges, but after Constand sued Cosby, she and the comedian agreed to a civil settlement in late 2006.

Cosby has denied Constand’s allegation, saying the sexual contact was consensual. He has also denied similar allegations from more than 50 other women…. http://www.people.com/article/bill-cosby-former-prosecutor-says-he-believes-accuser-andrea-constand

Good news, bad news for Bill Cosby in civil suits in California
Maria Puente, USA TODAY  February 2, 2016

As Bill Cosby faced criminal sexual-assault charges in a Pennsylvania courthouse on Tuesday, there was good news and bad news for him in civil court in Los Angeles.

Chloe Goins, the youngest and most recent of Cosby’s five-dozen accusers, dropped her civil suit against him, according to the Associated Press, which cited federal court records showing the suit was dropped without explanation.

Meanwhile, in another civil case in Los Angeles, Cosby was ordered to sit for another grilling in a deposition for a lawsuit alleging he sexually abused accuser Judy Huth at the Playboy Mansion around 1974 when she was 15.

Depositions have not been good for Cosby: His testimony in a deposition in a civil suit filed by an accuser in 2005 played a role in the filing of the criminal charges against him in Pennsylvania.

Cosby resisted sitting for the first deposition in the Huth case but was ordered by a judge to do so. When he didn’t answer every question, Huth’s attorney, Gloria Allred (who represents nearly half of the five-dozen women who have accused Cosby), sought to compel him to sit for another….

The Los Angeles district attorney declined last month to file charges against Cosby in connection with Goins’ accusations because the California statute of limitations for sexual assault had expired.

She had earlier filed a civil suit in federal court against Cosby alleging sexual battery. It was one of a half-dozen civil suits pending against Cosby stemming from the accusations that he had drugged and/or raped dozens of women in episodes dating to the mid-1960s. .

It is not clear why Goins dropped the suit, but when a plaintiff moves to dismiss her own lawsuit it often means the parties have come to a settlement. And often such a settlement is confidential.

One other accuser suit against Cosby, for defamation, was dismissed by a judge in Pittsburgh last month.

Goins’ lawyer, Spencer Kuvins, declined to comment. Cosby’s spokesman did not return emails seeking comment…. http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2016/02/02/civil-suit-against-bill-cosby-dismissed-accuser/79698200/

EXCLUSIVE: Catholic Church settles 30 of 40 priest sex abuse lawsuits
Jan 29, 2016   By Keoki Kerr
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) –

The Roman Catholic Church has reached settlements in 30 lawsuits filed by people in Hawaii who claim they were sexually abused by priests decades ago when they were children.

They are among 63 people who have made abuse allegations against priests in 40 lawsuits, according to legal documents obtained by Hawaii News Now.

Some of the cases have been reported in the media, such as the 2012 lawsuit filed by Mark Pinkosh claiming two priests at St. Anthony Church in Kailua sexually abused him.

Pinkosh said when he told then-Father Joseph Ferrario that another priest had raped him, Ferrario told him to keep the incidents secret and then Ferrario raped him.  Ferrario, who is now deceased, went on to become the bishop of the Catholic Church in Hawaii.

Other cases have been kept quiet, with the plaintiffs listed as John or Jane Roe.

Hawaii News Now has learned that Pinkosh and 62 other alleged victims of priest sex abuse went to mediation last year with the Catholic Church to try to settle their 40 lawsuits…. http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/31095979/exclusive-catholic-church-settles-30-of-40-priest-sex-abuse-lawsuits

Pitcairn mayor charged with possessing child abuse material wants to face ‘local law’

Lawyer calls for trial to be held on Pitcairn Island, not in Auckland, as ex-mayor Michael Warren denies all 25 charges
Elle Hunt Tuesday 2 February 2016

The lawyer representing a former Pitcairn Island mayor facing charges of possessing child abuse films and photos has said the case should be dealt with under local laws rather than by a court in New Zealand.

Michael Warren, who served as mayor of the tiny British territory in the South Pacific from 2008 to 2013, appeared by video link from Pitcairn to an Auckland courtroom on Monday to deny 25 charges relating to more than 1,000 child abuse films, images and messages.

As mayor in 2010, it was alleged in court, Warren accidentally sent an email to a diplomatic staff member from an address in someone else’s name.

It was further alleged in court that the staff member searched for the address online and found it was linked to an online chat site containing explicit material.

Sergeant Geoff Medland, an officer seconded to Pitcairn Island in 2009 as part of the assistance provided by New Zealand police to the territory, was made aware of the allegations in late April 2010.

The crown alleges Medland found more than 1,000 child abuse images and videos in a search of Warren’s home on 26 May 2010.

Warren was arrested by Medland on behalf of the British high commission and charged with 20 counts of possessing child sexual abuse content under section 160 of the UK’s Criminal Justice Act 1988. He also received five charges under the Pitcairn summary offences ordinance for possession of indecent articles involving adults….

Warren pleaded not guilty in March 2013.

Pitcairn, settled in 1789 by Fletcher Christian and the mutineering crew of the Bounty, is a group of four volcanic islands that form the last British overseas territory in the Pacific. It has a population of about 50 people, originating from four families.

The hearing is set down for a week in Auckland and will reconvene on Pitcairn Island later this month.

In 2004 and 2006, seven of the island’s 12 men faced a total of 55 sex crimes, some dating back 40 years. Six were found guilty, with four sentenced to jail terms of up to five years. The crimes included rape, incest and indecent assault against girls from the age of seven. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/03/pitcairn-mayor-charged-with-possessing-child-abuse-material-wants-to-face-local-law

Bill Cosby sued by model over alleged sexual assault, Judge won’t dismiss woman’s molestation suit against Bill Cosby

October 8, 2015 Comments Off on Bill Cosby sued by model over alleged sexual assault, Judge won’t dismiss woman’s molestation suit against Bill Cosby

Bill Cosby sued by model over alleged sexual assault
7 October 2015

A 25-year-old model has sued US comedian Bill Cosby, alleging he sexually assaulted her at the Playboy Mansion in Los Angeles in 2008.

Chloe Goins claims Mr Cosby drugged and molested her when she was 17.

The civil lawsuit accuses Mr Cosby of “childhood sexual abuse” and demands damages of at least $75,000 (£49,000). Ms Goins is also seeking a jury trial.

Mr Cosby, 78, is facing a series of sexual assault accusations dating back decades. He has denied the claims.

The star is due to testify on Friday in a separate lawsuit brought by Judy Huth, who accused the comedian of sexually abusing her at the Playboy Mansion in 1974, when she was 15 years old.

More than 50 women have come forward publicly over the past year with allegations including drugging, sexual harassment, sexual assault and rape – all of which Mr Cosby denies.

In most cases, the alleged incidents date back decades, meaning they fall outside the time limit for legal action.

But Ms Goins’ allegations do fall within California’s statute of limitations, and prosecutors are also now reviewing the evidence for possible criminal charges.

The model told reporters: “Today I recognise that I’ve taken legal action that many of the other victims of Bill Cosby will never be able to take. This has gone on long enough, it’s time Bill Cosby was held accountable for his crimes.”….
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34463079

Judge won’t dismiss woman’s molestation suit against Bill Cosby
AP October 7, 2015

A judge on Wednesday refused to throw out a lawsuit filed by a woman who accuses Bill Cosby of molesting her when she was 15, saying the comedian can still receive a fair trial despite procedural errors.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Craig Karlan’s ruling came over the objections of Cosby’s attorneys, who sought to dismiss Judy Huth’s case because her previous attorney violated rules for how older sex-abuse cases should be handled.

Cosby’s attorney Martin Singer argued the lawsuit improperly included Cosby’s name, which caused the comedian harm and required him to defend himself against numerous other allegations from women who claim he abused them decades ago.

“This was the linchpin that triggered everything going forward,” Singer said.

Huth’s former attorney admitted Wednesday he erred by naming Cosby in the lawsuit filed in December 2014. Huth, 57, claims Cosby forced her to perform a sex act on him at the Playboy Mansion around 1974….

Karlan said in his ruling that he was troubled by the mistake by Huth’s previous lawyer, but despite that he felt Cosby could still get a fair trial. He also noted Cosby’s name would have eventually been disclosed in Huth’s case and received widespread notoriety.

Huth’s former attorney, Marc Strecker, acknowledged he overlooked a portion of the legal code that states claims by adult plaintiffs that they were victims of underage sexual abuse should omit the defendant’s real name. “I made a mistake,” Strecker said….
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/judge-wont-dismiss-womans-molestation-suit-against-bill-cosby/

Model Who Alleges Bill Cosby Drugged and Assaulted Her Speaks Out: I’ll Never ‘Get Over’ What Happened, Bill Cosby loses latest legal skirmish

September 11, 2015 Comments Off on Model Who Alleges Bill Cosby Drugged and Assaulted Her Speaks Out: I’ll Never ‘Get Over’ What Happened, Bill Cosby loses latest legal skirmish

Model Who Alleges Bill Cosby Drugged and Assaulted Her Speaks Out: I’ll Never ‘Get Over’ What Happened

By Aurelie Corinthios    09/08/2015

Model Chloe Goins says she’s still suffering after coming forward with her claim that she was sexually assaulted by Bill Cosby.

The 24-year-old, whose allegations may be the first to fall within the statute of limitations and lead to a criminal case against the comedian, spoke recently with Dr. Phil McGraw along with four others among more than 40 women who have come forward over the past year accusing Cosby, 78, of drugging and assaulting them.

Many of their stories echo the experiences of the five women who first spoke to PEOPLE in 2006 for an article that helped to break open the scandal, which began after Andrea Constand, a former Temple University employee, filed a civil suit claiming that Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her in his Philadelphia-area mansion in 2004. Constand’s suit was settled out of court.

On an upcoming episode of Dr. Phil, Goins alleges the comedian drugged and assaulted her at the Playboy Mansion in 2008….

Cosby is scheduled to give his testimony Oct. 9. The deposition will mark the first time he will speak about a sexual-assault allegation against him since a separate case in 2005….
http://www.people.com/article/chloe-goins-talks-bill-cosby-allegations-on-dr-phil


Bill Cosby loses latest legal skirmish

Jayme Deerwester, USA TODAY  September 5, 2015

Bill Cosby’s legal team will be spending the Labor Day weekend licking their wounds after a judge denied their request to see documents that may explain how his 2005 sexual battery case deposition were leaked to the New York Times.

According to filings obtained by TheWrap.com, Cosby’s attorneys filed a discovery motion in July, operating under the theory that accuser Andrea Constand and her attorney Dolores Troiani facilitated the leak, which, if true, violated a June court order.

On Friday, Judge John R. Radova ruled that the contents of the deposition are actually subject to the 2006 settlement agreement between Cosby and Constand rather than that court order.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2015/09/05/bill-cosby-loses-latest-legal-skirmish/71767786/

Will Bill Cosby ever face prosecution over allegations of sexual misdeeds?, Scale of child abuse images online is ‘shocking’, says NSPCC

July 22, 2015 Comments Off on Will Bill Cosby ever face prosecution over allegations of sexual misdeeds?, Scale of child abuse images online is ‘shocking’, says NSPCC

Will Bill Cosby ever face prosecution over allegations of sexual misdeeds?
By Paul Farhi July 20, 2015

There is little question that Bill Cosby’s revered reputation is in tatters. But will he ever be called to account for conduct that has led to multiple lawsuits and accusations of sexual misconduct from more than 40 women?

The one assault allegation against Cosby to progress through the legal system — a 2005 civil suit brought by a Temple University employee named Andrea Constand — was settled without any admission by Cosby. But Constand’s complaint set in motion events that could raise new legal troubles for Cosby and that have the potential to be powerful pieces of evidence against him in potential civil or criminal cases, plaintiffs attorneys and others say. The most problematic are Cosby’s own account contained in court records and his deposition in the Constand case.

The records, which have been unsealed or disclosed in the past two weeks, contain Cosby’s admission that he gave drugs to women he sought to have sex with, including Constand and some of the long line of women who have accused him of drugging and assaulting women since the late 1960s (Cosby has denied any criminal intent)….

Cosby, however, may still face criminal charges. The Los Angeles Police Department is investigating a sexual-battery complaint filed by Chloe Goins,a model who says Cosby spiked her drink during a party at the Playboy Mansion in Los Angeles in 2008 and then removed her clothes and masturbated in her presence after she passed out, according to Goins’s attorney, Spencer Kuvin.

The statute of limitations on the allegation won’t run out until next April, Kuvin said. He said the LAPD has questioned Goins twice since she came forward in December. If officials decline to pursue a criminal case, he said, he is prepared to file a civil suit on Goins’s behalf.

The LAPD has confirmed an ongoing investigation of Cosby’s behavior but has not identified the alleged victim. Gloria Allred, an attorney who represents 17 Cosby accusers, said one of her clients, Judy Huth, also has spoken to detectives….

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/will-bill-cosby-ever-face-prosecution-over-allegations-of-sexual-misconduct/2015/07/20/c01fa5d6-2f24-11e5-8353-1215475949f4_story.html

Scale of child abuse images online is ‘shocking’, says NSPCC
Charity claims there are two convictions each day for indecent images and calls for urgent action two years after government promised crackdown

More than a quarter of those convicted of viewing abuse images were also found guilty of other sexual crimes.  Press Association Tuesday 21 July 2015

Two people are being convicted of child abuse image crimes every day on average, two years after a government pledge to crack down on the offence, the NSPCC says.

The charity said its analysis of news reports showed there had been at least 1,000 court cases involving indecent images of children since David Cameron’s July 2013 speech in which he threatened to impose tough new laws on internet companies if they failed to blacklist key search terms.

The NSPCC said a snapshot of 100 cases revealed that 4.5m child abuse images were discovered among them, with one in three of the 101 convicted criminals involved having held a position of trust or a role that allowed them access to children….

Six out of 10 were jailed. Those convicted included a father and son, and a teenager who confessed to viewing such pictures from the age of 12. More than a quarter were also convicted of other sexual crimes, including grooming, voyeurism, and indecent assault, and one in six already had criminal records for similar offences….
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jul/22/scale-of-child-abuse-images-online-is-shocking-says-nspcc

Where Am I?

You are currently browsing entries tagged with Chloe Goins at Eassurvey's Weblog.