Woody Allen’s Secret Teen Lover Speaks, 18 Chicago-area Jesuit priests, 300 Pennsylvania priests who were found to have sexually abused children
December 19, 2018 § Leave a comment
Woody Allen’s Secret Teen Lover Speaks: Sex, Power and a Conflicted Muse Who Inspired ‘Manhattan’ by Gary Baum December 17, 2018
In 1976, 16-year-old model Babi Christina Engelhardt embarked on a hidden eight-year affair with the 41–year-old filmmaker that mirrors one of his most famous movies. Now, amid the #MeToo reckoning and Allen’s personal scandals, she looks back with mixed emotions on their relationship and its unequal dynamic.
Sixteen, emerald-eyed, blond, an aspiring model with a confident streak and a painful past: Babi Christina Engelhardt had just caught Woody Allen’s gaze at legendary New York City power restaurant Elaine’s. It was October 1976, and when Engelhardt returned from the ladies’ room, she dropped a note on his table with her phone number. It brazenly read: “Since you’ve signed enough autographs, here’s mine!”
Soon, Allen rang, inviting her to his Fifth Avenue penthouse. The already-famous 41-year-old director, still hot off Sleeper and who’d release Annie Hall the following spring, never asked her age. But she told him she was still in high school, living with her family in rural New Jersey as she pursued her modeling ambitions in Manhattan. Within weeks, they’d become physically intimate at his place. She wouldn’t turn 17, legal in New York, until that December….
Englehardt now works for legendary producer Bob Evans; previously she was an assistant to (later disgraced) financier Jeffrey Epstein and, before that, a member of Federico Fellini’s creative circle….
18 Chicago-area Jesuit priests named in new list alleging sexual abuse
Morgan Greene Chicago Tribune December 18, 2018
Eighteen Jesuit priests with ties to Chicago-area institutions were named on a list released Monday alleging instances of sexual abuse dating back more than six decades, including one defrocked priest who was convicted of sex crimes in federal court.
The Midwest Province Jesuits, part of a Catholic religious order known for its focus on education, released a list of dozens of priests with credible allegations of sexual abuse to their names since 1955.
In a Monday evening phone interview, the Rev. Brian Paulson, provincial of the Midwest Province, said the list was a response to the scandals that have rocked the Catholic Church for the past two decades — from the 2002 abuse crisis exposed by the Boston Globe to the more than 300 Pennsylvania priests who were found to have sexually abused children, according to an August grand jury report.
“I think in the past, church leaders tried to avoid scandal,” Paulson said. “But I think now we realize the greater scandal is keeping this information in our drawer.”….
More than 50 priests were named as perpetrators in cases where there was “reasonable certainty that the sexual abuse of a minor occurred.” Several worked at Loyola Academy in Wilmette, Holy Family Parish and St. Ignatius College Prep on the Near West Side, and Loyola University Chicago, among other institutions….
Donald McGuire, a prominent priest and retreat director who traveled frequently, was among those on the list. The Tribune reported that the convicted sex offender abused dozens of children around the globe, according to internal church records released in 2013, and was associated with what was, at the time, the largest settlement amount per individual paid in the history of the U.S. Catholic sexual abuse crisis.
The Midwest Province list accused McGuire of multiple instances of abuse across five Chicago-area institutions: at Loyola Academy from 1954-57 and again from 1965-70, Loyola University Chicago in 1976, Bellarmine Jesuit Retreat House in Barrington from 1981-84 and from 1985-88, Canisius House in Evanston from 1988-2002 and the Chicago Jesuit Community from 2002-05….
February 21, 2011 Comments Off on Settlement reached in priest abuse case – Chicago Jesuit priest John Powell
Settlement reached in priest abuse case
Monday, November 21, 2005
By Theresa Gutierrez
November 17, 2005 (WLS) — A settlement has been reached in connection with a Roman Catholic priest accused of sexual abuse. At least six adults claimed father John Powell abused them in the late 60’s and 70’s. No criminal charges were filed against Powell but the priest has admitted to the abuse.
Two of the former Chicago Jesuit priest John Powell’s victims spoke out Thursday. Patrice Regnier says Father Powell — a former Loyola University professor — started abusing her when she was 12 years old. She just received a settlement.
“The idea people found from me speaking the truth that they could come out themselves and speak the truth is a good thing,” said Patrice Regnier, victim of sexual abuse.
Diane Ruhl says she was abused at 17 years old by Father Powell on the Loyola campus when she was a student. She confronted him 30 years later by writing him. He responded and admitted to the abuse in his letters.
October 13, 2010 Comments Off on More than half had priest accused of abuse, Belgian Catholic abuse legal row
Study: More than half of parishes had priest accused of abuse
October 11, 2010 More than half of Chicago’s Roman Catholic parishes have had a priest accused of sexually abusing a child working there at some point, according to a study released today that was quickly questioned by the Chicago Archdiocese.
In some cases, multiple priests accused of misconduct worked at the same church, according to the study, conducted by reform groups Voice of the Faithful, African American Advocates for Victims of Clergy Sexual Abuse and the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests. “In almost 60 percent of the parishes, an accused predator worked there,” said Barbara Blaine, president of SNAP. For example, from 1980 to 1990, 57.7% of Chicago parishes had an accused priest working there, said Bob Kopp, one of the study’s researchers and vice president of Chicagoland Voice of the Faithful. Other decades examined in the study had similar percentages of affected parishes, he said. She is calling for victims to speak up. “Silence protects predators.”….”From the description of what we have heard, it appears that the analysis and conclusions are questionable,” said Colleen Dolan of the archdiocese in an e-mailed statement. “The priests referred to in the … report have all been removed and are not in ministry in the Archdiocese of Chicago.”
New twist in Belgian Catholic abuse legal row
AFP, Oct 12, 2010 BRUSSELS: Belgium’s highest court ordered magistrates on Tuesday to re-examine evidence seized by police relating to decades of child abuse and alleged Roman Catholic Church cover-ups. The court overturned two previous decisions by lower courts that rendered inadmissible evidence taken from church headquarters, the home of a former archbishop and a church-backed commission investigating sex crimes perpetrated by priests. Responding to lawyers acting for alleged victims who lodged appeals, the judges said the lower courts were wrong not to hear civil parties and therefore magistrates should look again at the evidence in a new light. It means that truckloads of material gathered by police in spectacular raids in June that drew the ire of Pope Benedict XVI himself could potentially be used to relaunch state prosecutions for abuse.
July 25, 2009 § Leave a comment
Second child abuse uproar engulfs Catholic Church in Ireland – A second report has given details of alleged sexual abuse by Roman Catholic priests in Dublin 7/22/09 David Sharrock, Ireland Correspondent – A report detailing the alleged sexual abuse of 450 children by Roman Catholic priests in the Archdiocese of Dublin was handed to the Irish Government yesterday. It is the second one this year to examine the extent of abuse perpetrated by members of the Catholic Church in Ireland and will undermine further its position in a country that only a few decades ago conformed rigidly to standards set by the Vatican. The Report of the Dublin Archdiocese Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse was delivered to Dermot Ahern, the Justice Minister, who must decide if and when to make its findings public….Dr Martin handed over 66,583 documents to the commission, which is presided over by Justice Yvonne Murphy. In a television documentary, he said that since 1940 more than 400 children had been abused by at least 152 priests in the Dublin area. In April the Archbishop told his congregation that the report’s revelations would “shock and horrify us all”….The commission was established in 2006 and has investigated how allegations of child sex abuse made against a representative sample of 46 priests were handled by 19 bishops in Dublin from January 1975 to April 2004. The report is likely to produce evidence of how bishops sought to cover up the activities of paedophile priests by moving them from diocese to diocese, thereby facilitating the abuse of children over a wider area. The arrest in 1994 of Father Brendan Smyth, who was convicted of abusing children in Dublin, Belfast and the US over 40 years, led to the collapse of the Irish Government. Last year Cardinal Desmond Connell, who was replaced as Archbishop of Dublin by Dr Martin in 2004, abandoned a lengthy legal challenge to his successor’s transfer of tens of thousands of church files to the commission. The cardinal, who retired under criticism for his handling of clerical sex abuse allegations, had argued that the files were legally privileged. The commission investigated nineteen bishops, seven of whom are dead. Its report is expected to name fifteen priests, eleven of whom have been convicted. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6722491.ece
Failure to report sex abuse in Chicago archdiocese described – Bishop’s deposition details attempts to keep cases secret By Kristen Mack – Tribune reporter 7/22/09 The archdiocese of Chicago has agreed to pay $3.9 million to settle six sexual abuse cases and on Tuesday released a bishop’s deposition that detailed the church’s failure to report the crimes and attempts to keep them secret. The 180-page deposition provides a rare glimpse of “how clerical culture operated in the past,” said Jeffrey R. Anderson, an attorney for the victims. Retired Auxiliary Bishop Raymond Goedert, the second-highest-ranking bishop in the Chicago archdiocese, testified that most of the priests he confronted with sexual abuse charges admitted them. “I knew the civil law considered it a crime,” Goedert said in his deposition, adding that he felt church law required him to treat matters confidentially. “I simply would not talk about [the cases] to anyone except those who had a right to know because of their position in the diocese.” Goedert’s deposition demonstrates the “energy spent on keeping the scandal contained,” said Marc Pearlman, another attorney for the victims…. The deposition shows how “deeply ingrained secrecy” is in this archdiocese, Barbara Dorris, the outreach director of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, said in a statement. “That confidentiality allowed the archdiocese to move serial predators from parish to parish without congregations’ knowledge about child-abuse allegations,” she said….The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago paid more than $15.8 million in legal settlements related to sexual abuse last year, amounting to $80.2 million in claims from June 2001 to June 2008. firstname.lastname@example.org