New York attorney general’s office has issued subpoenas to every Catholic diocese in the state, Mexico violence: Remains of 166 found in Veracruz mass grave

September 7, 2018 § Leave a comment

New York attorney general’s office has issued subpoenas to every Catholic diocese in the state
By Julie Zauzmer and Michelle Boorstein September 6, 2018

The New York attorney general’s office has issued subpoenas to every Catholic diocese in the state, becoming the latest U.S. state to embark on an expansive investigation of sex crimes committed and covered up by Catholic priests.

The Catholic Church faces a major test over the next several months, as the attorneys general of at least five states conduct investigations and several more consider opening up the decades-old secret files of the dioceses in their states. Millions of Catholics nationwide now must grapple with attending a church that is under criminal investigation.

After New York’s subpoenas were issued, and first reported by the Associated Press on Thursday, New Jersey quickly followed, announcing a criminal task force focused on investigating sexual abuse by Catholic clergy. New Mexico launched an investigation this week, and Nebraska and Missouri have inquiries underway….

A person familiar with the New York investigation told The Washington Post that the attorney general’s office sent civil subpoenas to the eight Catholic dioceses. The subpoenas are part of an ongoing civil investigation by the attorney general’s Charities Bureau, which is looking into whether the nonprofit dioceses covered up sexual abuse of minors.

Separately, the criminal division is working with district attorneys in the state who might convene grand juries to investigate crimes committed by priests. On Thursday, Attorney General Barbara Underwood announced a telephone hotline and an online forum for victims and witnesses of child abuse committed by clergy in the state of New York to contact investigators. New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal also said that his office had set up a new telephone hotline for victims of sexual abuse by clergy and would investigate the allegations through its new criminal task force….

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2018/09/06/new-york-joins-the-list-of-states-investigating-sex-crimes-committed-by-catholic-priests/

Mexico violence: Remains of 166 found in Veracruz mass grave
September 5, 2018

The skulls of at least 166 people have been found in a mass grave in Mexico’s eastern state of Veracruz.

State prosecutor Jorge Winckler said the skulls and other human remains had been there for at least two years.

The exact location is not being disclosed for security reasons, he added.

Drug traffickers have used Veracruz as a dumping ground for their victims for many years. In March 2017, 250 skulls were found in another mass grave there….

Relatives of people who have disappeared in Mexico have long been campaigning for more to be done to help them find their loved ones.

Drug-related violence in Mexico has soared since 2006 when the army was deployed to fight the powerful cartels. Since then more than 200,000 people have been killed, including a record 28,702 last year.

Another 37,000 people are registered as missing.

Victims include cartel members but also migrants heading to the US who refuse to be recruited.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45442402

Catholic diocese to file for bankruptcy protection

February 1, 2014 Comments Off on Catholic diocese to file for bankruptcy protection

Catholic diocese to file for bankruptcy protection
Matt Volz, Associated Press January 31, 2014

HELENA, Montana (AP) — The Roman Catholic Diocese of Helena planned to file for bankruptcy protection Friday as part of a proposed settlement of $15 million for hundreds of victims who say clergy members sexually abused them over decades while the church covered it up.

Diocese spokesman Dan Bartleson said the bankruptcy reorganization plan comes after confidential mediation sessions with the plaintiffs’ attorneys and insurers, resulting in the deals to resolve the abuse claims.

The settlement details are being worked out, but the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Montana would be responsible for approving and supervising the disbursement of $15 million to compensate the 362 victims identified in the two lawsuits.

In addition, at least $2.5 million will be set aside for victims who come forward later, Bartleson said….

The Helena diocese is the 11th in the nation to seek bankruptcy protection in the face of sex-abuse claims

The two lawsuits filed in 2011 claim clergy members groomed and then abused the children from the 1940s to the 1970s. They claim the diocese shielded the offenders and knew or should have known the threat they posed to children….

In one of the lawsuits, the plaintiffs said they were repeatedly raped, fondled or forced to perform sexual acts while at school, on the playground, on camping trips or at the victims’ homes.

The second lawsuit, filed a week after the first in 2011, contained similar allegations against priests, but also alleged that nuns at the Ursuline Academy in St. Ignatius abused dozens of Native American children….
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/31/catholic-diocese-files-for-bankruptcy-protection/5078991/

Clergy abuse in Delaware: Catholic Diocese of Wilmington, survivors settle suits

February 4, 2011 Comments Off on Clergy abuse in Delaware: Catholic Diocese of Wilmington, survivors settle suits

Clergy abuse in Delaware: Catholic Diocese of Wilmington, survivors settle suits – Framework would set aside $77.4M to pay abuse claims By SEAN O’SULLIVAN The News Journal  February 3, 2011

WILMINGTON — Attorneys representing the Roman Catholic Diocese of Wilmington and survivors of priest abuse reached a $77.4 million lawsuit settlement Wednesday night following a marathon negotiating session.

Some details are yet to be worked out, but both sides announced around 9 p.m. that a general framework that sets aside $77,425,000 in a trust to pay survivor claims was hammered out along with a number of non-monetary conditions, including the release of files related to abusive priests.

Wilmington Bishop W. Francis Malooly and some survivors of priest sexual abuse were part of the lengthy negotiations.
“After a seven-year fight, we are on our way to a fair compensation for survivors. This is an average payment of $530,000 for each survivor,” said attorney Thomas Neuberger, who represents the majority of the approximately 150 plaintiffs with claims against either the diocese or one of its parishes….

“Due to our long court battle, there has now been more public exposure of church child abuse, misdeeds and evil practices here in Delaware than in any other state,” Neuberger said. “Due to the public release of secret church archives, which the Official Committee [of survivors] demanded, these records now will permanently see the light of day.”
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110203/NEWS01/102030346/Diocese–survivors-settle-suit

Where Am I?

You are currently browsing entries tagged with Catholic Diocese at Eassurvey's Weblog.