Ariel Castro’s house of horror leveled in Cleveland, Religious order priest admitted abusing 100 boys; new files add to LA clergy abuse picture
August 8, 2013 Comments Off on Ariel Castro’s house of horror leveled in Cleveland, Religious order priest admitted abusing 100 boys; new files add to LA clergy abuse picture
Ariel Castro’s house of horror leveled in Cleveland
Neighbors, victims and family clapped and cheered on the street as the heavy equipment clawed away at the roof and walls of Ariel Castro’s house where he kept three women captive for more than a decade.
Jennifer Lindgren, Doug Stanglin and Yamiche Alcindor, August 7, 2013
One of his victims brought yellow balloons in memory of other missing children.
CLEVELAND — Demolition crews leveled Ariel Castro’s former house of horror Wednesday not long after one of three young women held captive there for 11 years brought a bundle of yellow balloons in memory of other missing children.
Cheers erupted on Seymour Avenue as the heavy equipment clawed away part of the roof and walls of the rundown house where Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight were rescued after years of living in chains.
Crews reduced the two-story house to rubble in a little more than an hour. The demolition was carried live online and also drew crowds of neighbors and onlookers.
Castro, 53, pleaded guilty last month to 937 charges including rape, kidnapping and aggravated murder charges in connection with the abduction of the three young women, who were rescued May 6.
Knight, who also spoke at Castro’s sentencing in a moving condemnation of his crimes, made a brief statement and asked God to grant strength to those still missing and told their families to have hope. She says the yellow balloons represented those still out there waiting to be found….
Religious order priest admitted abusing 100 boys; new files add to LA clergy abuse picture
Published August 01, 2013
LOS ANGELES – In therapy sessions, the priest confessed the shocking details he’d kept hidden for years: He had molested more than 100 boys, including his 5-year-old brother. He had sex with male prostitutes, and frequented gay strip clubs.
The admissions of the Rev. Ruben Martinez are included among nearly 2,000 pages of secret files unsealed Wednesday that were kept on priests, brothers and nuns who belonged to religious orders but were accused of child molestation while working within the Los Angeles archdiocese.
The papers, which were released under the terms of a $660 million settlement agreement reached in 2007, are the first glimpse at what religious orders knew about the men and women they posted in Roman Catholic schools and parishes in the Los Angeles area. The archdiocese itself released thousands of pages under court order this year for its own priests who were accused of sexual abuse, but the full picture of the problem remained elusive without the orders’ records. Several dozen more files are expected to be released by the fall.
The documents cover five different religious orders that employed 10 priests or religious brothers and two nuns who were all accused in civil lawsuits of molesting children. Among them, the accused had 21 alleged victims between the 1950s and the 1980s….
Child Sex Trafficking Rescue: FBI Saves 105 Victims in ‘Operation Cross Country’, Michael Madison Indicted For Deaths Of 3 Ohio Women
July 30, 2013 Comments Off on Child Sex Trafficking Rescue: FBI Saves 105 Victims in ‘Operation Cross Country’, Michael Madison Indicted For Deaths Of 3 Ohio Women
Child Sex Trafficking Rescue: FBI Saves 105 Victims in ‘Operation Cross Country’ 07/29/2013
child sex trafficking rescue
The FBI has rescued 105 child sex-trafficking victims, FBI Assistant Director Ronald Hosko announced Monday.
The youngest of the rescued children was 9 years old, according to Reuters….
“Many times the children that are taken in in these types of criminal activities are children that are disaffected, they are from broken homes, they may be on the street themselves,” FBI Acting Executive Assistant Director Kevin Perkins said, according to the network. “They are really looking for a meal, they are looking for shelter, they are looking for someone to take care of them.”
Another victim, identified as “Alex,” told interviewers she became a prostitute at the age of 16, when she felt she had no other options to feed and clothe herself.
The raids also resulted in the arrests of 150 “pimps” and other individuals, according to an FBI press release.
The rescues were the product of Operation Cross Country, a three-day nationwide initiative to aid victims of underage prostitution….
Since 2003, the Innocence Lost National Initiative has netted the rescue of more than 2,700 children.
Michael Madison Indicted For Deaths Of 3 Ohio Women
By REGINA GARCIA CANO 07/29/13
COLUMBUS, Ohio — A man accused in the deaths of three women whose bodies were found wrapped in trash bags was indicted Monday on 14 counts including multiple charges of aggravated murder and kidnapping.
Michael Madison is being charged in connection with the deaths of Shirellda H. Terry, Angela H. Deskins and Shetisha D. Sheeley….
A Cuyahoga County grand jury charged Madison with six counts of aggravated murder, two for each victim under different legal theories, plus three counts of kidnapping, three counts of gross abuse of a corpse, one count of rape and one count of having weapons under disability, the county prosecutor’s office announced Monday….
The indictment states that Madison raped Terry between July 10 and July 19. Terry’s family has said she was last seen July 10, leaving a Cleveland elementary school where she had a summer job.
Madison was classified as a sex offender in 2002, when he was sentenced to four years in prison for attempted rape, according to Cuyahoga County court records. He had previous convictions in 2000 and 2001 for drug-related charges….
Ariel Castro victims relieved by guilty plea, Cleveland Kidnapping Update: Victim could face Ariel Castro in court, source tells CBS
July 27, 2013 Comments Off on Ariel Castro victims relieved by guilty plea, Cleveland Kidnapping Update: Victim could face Ariel Castro in court, source tells CBS
Ariel Castro victims relieved by guilty plea
Marisol Bello and Laura Petrecca, USA TODAY July 26, 2013
The three women whom Ariel Castro kidnapped, raped and tortured over an 11-year span are relieved by his guilty plea that spares them from testifying.
The three Cleveland women kidnapped, raped and tortured by Ariel Castro over an 11-year span are relieved that his guilty plea spares them from testifying.
Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight “are satisfied by this resolution to the case, and are looking forward to having these legal proceedings draw to a final close in the near future,” said a statement released by the law firm Jones Day, which is representing the women.
“They continue to desire their privacy. They do not wish to speak to the media or anyone else, and they thank people for continuing to respect their privacy as they grow stronger,” the statement said.
Castro, 53, pleaded guilty Friday to 937 criminal counts of kidnapping, rape and aggravated murder. The terms of the plea mean he will likely receive life in prison with no possibility for parole, plus 1,000 years. He will be formally sentenced Thursday.
Mental health and legal experts say it is a good thing the women do not have to testify….
Cleveland Kidnapping Update: Victim could face Ariel Castro in court, source tells CBS July 26, 2013 By Crimesider Staff
(CBS/AP) CLEVELAND – One of the three Cleveland kidnapping victims is set to testify against the man charged with holding them captive for up to ten years in his home, a source tells CBS News. It would be their first meeting between victim and captor since the three women escaped from the Cleveland home on May 6.
As part of a plea deal yet to be accepted by a judge, Ariel Castro pleaded guilty to holding the three women captive for about a decade.
Sources tell CBS News’ investigative unit that one of the three women is expected to testify live in court during the Thursday hearing, during which Ariel Castro will be formally sentenced. The two other women may confront Castro via video, though those plans have not yet been finalized….
As a part of the deal, Castro pleaded guilty Friday to 937 charges, including aggravated murder, kidnapping and rape….
Earlier Friday, the three women said they are relieved that Ariel Castro has pleaded guilty to the charges that will keep him in prison for life.
“Amanda, Gina, and Michelle are relieved by today’s plea,” read a statement released Friday by a law firm representing the women. “They are satisfied by this resolution to the case, and are looking forward to having these legal proceedings draw to a final close in the near future. ”
Experts question death penalty in Castro case, John Jamelske, Dozier School for Boys, Crisis in America’s Family Courts, Ex-swimming coach Rick Curl
May 27, 2013 Comments Off on Experts question death penalty in Castro case, John Jamelske, Dozier School for Boys, Crisis in America’s Family Courts, Ex-swimming coach Rick Curl
– Experts question death penalty in Ohio missing women case
– Justice Story: John Jamelske, the Ariel Castro of Syracuse, held 5 women and girls captive
– Dozier survivor: Judge’s decision just a temporary roadblock
– Failure to Protect: The Crisis in America’s Family Courts
– Ex-swimming coach Rick Curl gets 7 years in child sex abuse case
Experts question death penalty in Ohio missing women case
May 26, 2013 COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A prosecutor faces numerous obstacles as he weighs whether to bring death penalty charges against a man accused of kidnapping three women and forcing one of them into miscarriages through starvation and beatings, capital punishment experts say.
Most agree that such charges are possible against Ariel Castro, though not without legal fights starting with constitutional questions over the definition of a murder victim for the purposes of a death penalty case.
Cuyahoga County prosecutor Tim McGinty said at a news conference on May 9, days after the women were rescued from Castro’s run-down home, that capital punishment “must be reserved for those crimes that are truly the worst examples of human conduct.”
“The law of Ohio calls for the death penalty for those most depraved criminals, who commit aggravated murder during the course of a kidnapping,” he added…. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/26/ariel-castro-death-penalty-ohio-kidnap/2362045/
Justice Story: John Jamelske, the Ariel Castro of Syracuse, held 5 women and girls captive
After keeping victims hidden in secret basement rooms, kidnapper undone by trip to return bottles
By David J. Krajicek / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Saturday, May 25, 2013
John Jamelske, a scruffy bottle-picker from Syracuse, regarded himself as smooth with the ladies. To the rest of the world, he was a kidnapper and sexual predator.
Before there was Ariel Castro, Cleveland’s industrious triple kidnapper, there was Jamelske, New York’s dungeon dragoon.
For 15 years beginning in 1988, he held a succession of females as sex slaves in a filthy bunker beneath his house in upstate DeWitt. Jamelske was finally busted on April 3, 2003, three weeks before Castro kidnapped Amanda Berry, the second of his three victims.
Castro seemed shamed by his arrest. Jamelske, on the other hand, claimed his victims were “buddies.” He said he chained them “only a tiny little” and saw himself as “a tremendous influence” on them.
“No, I never considered anybody a kidnap victim,” he told the Syracuse Post-Standard. He explained that kidnappers demand cash ransoms. He didn’t do that….
The law disagreed, and convicted kidnapper Jamelske, 78, is living out his life in prison.
His case didn’t get the national attention of the dramatic escape of the three women in Cleveland earlier in May, but Jamelske’s story is just as implausible.
Though he described himself as “a little bit crazy,” Jamelske had a rather ordinary life until he reached his 50s. He was married with three sons, had a community college degree, and worked at grocery stores in the Syracuse area, where he grew up.
His life turned in the 1980s. He lost his job and began scavenging for bottles and cans. His hoarding tendencies flourished as he stacked his house floor to ceiling with cast-off crap….
Jamelske began cruising in his distinctive vintage Mercury Comet, seeking females from the wrong side of the tracks. And he built a 12-by-24 foot bunker accessible through a crawl space behind a hidden door in his garage. He told busybodies it was a storm shelter. It featured a plastic bucket toilet, a filthy foam cushion as a bed, and a salvaged bathtub filled with cold water from a garden hose.
In September 1988, he lured a 14-year-old girl into his car and secreted her in the dungeon for two years. The girl was reported missing by her family, and they were shocked when she came home in 1989. The victim later said Jamelske had threatened to kill her brother, so she lied and said she had run away from home….
In 1995, Jamelske abducted a second 14-year-old. For two years, he subjected the teen to daily sexual assaults — all while his wife, ill with cancer, was upstairs. He freed that victim in 1997, again with a threat if she squealed. The girl told her mother she had been kidnapped and raped by an older man, but she was so terrified the crime was never reported…. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/justice-story/justice-story-john-jamelske-girls-dungeon-article-1.1351897
Dozier survivor: Judge’s decision just a temporary roadblock
By Paul Mueller, Reporter Friday, May 24, 2013
MARIANNA – A Circuit Court judge has denied a request to exhume the bodies from gravesites at the Dozier School for Boys in Marianna.
In the court order, Judge William Wright of Jackson County Circuit Court states the petition was denied because the Petitioner “failed to meet the threshold for an order granting exhumation in a civil case,” and that the “Interim Report prepared by the University of South Florida does not provide any information or opinion regarding what physical evidence is likely to be found that will lead to the identification of the human remains or a determination of the causes of death.”
A local survivor of the school said it’s just a temporary roadblock in the search to find the remains of so many boys who were forgotten.
From his home in Clearwater, Robert Straley remembers the first day he walked into the Dozier School for Boys. The year was 1963 and Straley was just 13 years old.
Looking back, Straley calls it “one of the most horrible times of my life, if not the worst.”
On the first night, he said men in charge gave him the first of three floggings during his 10 and a half months there. “I was in a state of shock,” Straley said. “I didn’t even know what was going on. It was like it was happening to somebody else. It was like a bad nightmare.”
Investigators said the beatings went on at the school for nearly 70 years and some of the boys would simply disappear. But then in 2007, Straley and others began asking questions and wanted to know where those boys ended up.
While doing forensic research on the school’s grounds, a team of USF researchers uncovered dozens of shallow graves. http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2013/5/24/judge_denies_request.html
Failure to Protect: The Crisis in America’s Family Courts May 6, 2010
When a mother’s bitter custody battle ends with the death of her child, something has gone terribly wrong with the system.
Wyatt Garcia was born in April 2009. Nine months later, he was shot and killed by his father, who then turned the gun on himself.
It might have turned out differently—if a family court judge had listened to Wyatt’s mother….
Lawyers, judges, psychologists and representatives of women’s groups interviewed by The Crime Report describe a broken family court system that is already burdened with a heavy caseload and too few judges—many of whom are forced to rotate between cases—and in which serious criminal allegations of domestic or sexual abuse are routinely ignored. The crushing financial costs of pursuing long custody battles is an additional burden on indigent mothers, who get little or no legal support. The odds are particularly stacked against children at risk when the court battle revolves over “he said, she said” arguments.
The system has particularly failed parents – usually mothers – whose efforts to protect their children collide with an approach to custody issues that is based on narrow legal concepts of balance and fair treatment rather than psychological or medical evidence. “Courts assume mothers are orchestrating misinformation, instead of trying to protect their children,” said Kathleen Russell, director of the Center for Judicial Excellence…. http://www.thecrimereport.org/news/inside-criminal-justice/failure-to-protect-the-crisis-in-americae28099s-family-courts
Ex-swimming coach Rick Curl gets 7 years in child sex abuse case
By Amy Brittain and Chris Trevino, Published: May 23
Former D.C. area swimming coach Rick Curl was sentenced to seven years in prison for child sexual abuse at a hearing Thursday that also featured a revelation from Curl’s attorney that the University of Maryland knew about the abuse more than 25 years ago.
The sentencing in Montgomery County Circuit Court brought closure to a criminal case centered on Curl’s five-year sexual abuse of a swimming pupil that began in the 1980s, but it also raised new questions about the University of Maryland’s role in the decades-old case.
The victim, Kelley Currin, now 43, was 13 when the abuse began. She swam for the Curl-Burke Swim Club, one of the nation’s largest such organizations, through which Curl, now 63, had guided athletes to Olympic gold medals.
Currin’s parents became aware of her sexual encounters with Curl in 1986 and confronted the coach around their kitchen table, Thomas Kelly Jr., Curl’s attorney, said at the sentencing hearing.
They demanded that Curl sign a letter admitting that he had had sex with their daughter, who was then known as Kelley Davies. At some point, the attorney said, the letter was given to the athletic director at the University of Maryland, where, in 1987, Curl began coaching swimming and diving, in addition to his private coaching job. Kelly said in court that after U-Md. officials received the letter, they quietly pushed Curl out…. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ex-swimming-coach-rick-curl-to-be-sentenced-in-child-sex-abuse-case/2013/05/23/d80320f2-c3a5-11e2-9fe2-6ee52d0eb7c1_story.html