Tony Alamo victims awarded $525 million, Murder brings more calls for national inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women, Loretta Saunders’ roommates charged with 1st-degree murder
March 6, 2014 Comments Off on Tony Alamo victims awarded $525 million, Murder brings more calls for national inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women, Loretta Saunders’ roommates charged with 1st-degree murder
Tony Alamo victims awarded $525 million; L.A. properties may be sold By Paresh Dave March 1, 2014
Seven women who alleged they were sexually abused as children by former Christian ministry tycoon Tony Alamo were awarded $525 million by an Arkansas judge this week after an Alamo church failed to respond to a lawsuit.
Collecting the largest judgment in Arkansas history, according to one of the plaintiffs’ attorneys, will likely require some help from a Los Angeles court, though. Texas attorney David Carter said he would “soon” file paperwork asking that a court here sell at least two Santa Clarita Valley properties connected to Alamo’s operation….
Alamo, 79, has been serving a 175-year prison sentence in Tucson after being convicted in 2009 on 10 counts of sex trafficking minors. Attorney Rogers is appealing the conviction on the grounds that a previous lawyer botched the case.
During the 1960s, Alamo and his wife, Susan, founded a Christian organization in Los Angeles. They bused school dropouts and drug users into their shelters and provided food and anti-Catholic, anti-government religious lectures. The street preaching became a multimillion-dollar empire through a television show, events and merchandise cheaply manufactured by their adherents.
After years of evading arrest, Alamo served four years in prison during the 1990s for not paying about $10 million in federal taxes. His ultimate downfall came in 2008.
Authorities raided his Arkansas headquarters after allegations of child abuse, child pornography and polygamy. Alamo has said puberty signified an age of consent and that a godly man could take multiple wives.
The Arkansas lawsuit names Alamo, Twenty First Century Holiness Tabernacle Church and Jeanne Estate Apartments as defendants. The $525-million default judgment in actual and punitive damages was ordered against the church….
The Alamos…used the threat of hell to keep a tight rein on their Christian community, holding power over matters large and small, from approving clothes to selecting jobs and marriage partners. They built dorms, classrooms and play areas to keep children hooked, lawsuits have alleged….
Loretta Saunders remembered at vigil on Parliament Hill
Murder brings more calls for national inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women
The Canadian Press
Published: March 5, 2014
OTTAWA — It took the disappearance of a cousin to bring Holly Jarrett and her estranged mother together after a year of silence….
Saunders was an honours student at Saint Mary’s University when she disappeared. Two people have been charged with first-degree murder in her death.
One of them, 25-year-old Blake Leggette, appeared recently in a provincial court. The other, Leggette’s 28-year-old girlfriend, Victoria Henneberry, did not appear in court and was instead represented by her lawyer.
In a cruel irony, Saunders was writing a thesis on murdered and missing aboriginal women before she died.
Cheryl Maloney of the Nova Scotia Native Women’s Association, who spoke at the vigil, said she grappled with the question of who, if anyone, should finish Saunders’ work before coming to a realization.
“Maybe it wasn’t up to one person to finish Loretta’s thesis,” she said. “Maybe it was up to all of us as Canadians.”
Maloney and others at the vigil called on the Conservative government to hold a national inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women.
But while the Conservatives renewed funding to combat violence against aboriginal women and girls in their recent budget, they have so far resisted calls for a formal inquiry.
It is estimated there are hundreds of cases of missing and murdered aboriginal women dating back to the 1960s.
A United Nations human rights investigator called that statistic disturbing last year during a fact-finding visit to Canada in which he also urged the Conservative government to hold an inquiry….
Loretta Saunders’ roommates charged with 1st-degree murder
Blake Leggette and Victoria Henneberry accused in Halifax student’s death
CBC News Posted: Feb 27, 2014
Police have laid first-degree murder charges against the roommates of Loretta Saunders, a Halifax student whose body was found nearly two weeks after she was reported missing.
Victoria Henneberry, 28, and Blake Leggette, 25, who had been facing charges of being in possession of a stolen vehicle, were charged Thursday in the slaying of the 26-year-old Saint Mary’s University student….
Yalcin Surkultay, who dated Saunders for 2½ years, told CBC News that when he last saw his girlfriend, she told him she was going to try to collect rent money from her roommates….
Amanda Berry Has Nightmares That Ariel Castro Is Coming For Her, Satanic Ritual Trial Continues, Why fathers are killing their children, Tony Alamo Properties, Alleged Galilee cult leader, ex-priest Bill Carney
May 23, 2013 Comments Off on Amanda Berry Has Nightmares That Ariel Castro Is Coming For Her, Satanic Ritual Trial Continues, Why fathers are killing their children, Tony Alamo Properties, Alleged Galilee cult leader, ex-priest Bill Carney
– Amanda Berry Has Nightmares That Ariel Castro Is Coming For Her
– DRC refugee meant to take blame for ‘satanic’ murder
– Satanic ritual trial continue
– Why ever more fathers are killing their children: Top criminologist reveals her research into this sickening trend
– Tony Alamo Properties In Fort Smith Sought For Restitution
– Alleged Galilee cult leader suspected of abusing children for decade
– Judge lifts ban on naming ex-priest Bill Carney accused of historic child sex abuse
Amanda Berry Has Nightmares That Ariel Castro Is Coming For Her
Wed, May 22, 2013
Amanda Berry escaped from a decade of captivity in Ariel Castro‘s home in Ohio on May 6, but her suffering is far from over. In a new interview, her father Johnny Berry reveals that Amanda is having nightmares every night, in which she dreams that her captor Ariel is coming after her. He says she wakes up “screaming and crying.”….
Amanda, Michelle Knight and Gina DeJesus escaped from the house of horror May 6, and since then, Amanda has only been photographed once. In the photo, she is smiling with her sister, whom she had not seen for over a decade, and it is clear that she was in ecstasy after seeing her family again.
However, 27-year-old Amanda has since been having a hard time readjusting to the world, and it appears she is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder….
DRC refugee meant to take blame for ‘satanic’ murder
South Africa Tuesday 21 May 2013
Johannesburg – The Kirsty Theologo murder case will continue at the high court sitting in Palm Ridge, south of Johannesburg.
Isha Harvey, a 24-year-old refugee from the Democratic Republic of Congo, says he was meant to take the fall for Theologo’s murder by fleeing to his home country.
However, lawyers claim Harvey played no part in the planning or execution of the alleged satanic ritual that led to the death of his friend….
Harvey, one of four young people on trial, also told the court on Monday that money lent to co-accused Lindon Wagner by the deceased, had paid for the petrol used in her murder…. http://www.enca.com/south-africa/drc-refugee-meant-take-blame-satanic-murder
Satanic ritual trial continues South Africa Thursday 16 May 2013
JOHANNESBURG – The trial of three men and a girl accused of killing teenager Kirsty Theologo by setting her alight in an apparent satanic ritual was expected to continue in the High Court sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court on Thursday.
On May 2, Jeremy King, 20, gave evidence against four other youths accused of participating in the ritual. He told the court his version of events leading up to the incident.
Theologo, 18, and her friend were tied up, doused with petrol and set alight on a hill in southern Johannesburg on October 21, 2011….http://www.enca.com/world-sport-rugby/satanic-trial-continues
Why ever more fathers are killing their children: Top criminologist reveals her research into this sickening trend By Elizabeth Yardley 22 May 2013
As a criminologist specialising in murder, I have just completed research into the phenomenon of parents killing their children.
And my discoveries left me wondering not how it could happen — but just how soon it would be before another case of parental murder would hit the headlines.
Perhaps the most terrifying thing I have learned from my research is that the incidence of parents murdering their children is becomingly increasingly common. There have been 71 cases since 1980 – and the numbers are speeding up alarmingly.
In the Eighties, fewer than one child a year was murdered by a parent. Over the past decade, numbers have risen to two or three a year – a rate that is increasing steadily….
Though mothers are also capable of murdering their children, the vast majority of murders – 59 of the 71 – are committed by men. I call them Family Annihilators because they cold-bloodedly plot their family’s destruction….
I examined all of the cases of murders by parents of their children since 1980, looking at everything from the fathers’ jobs to the day of the week they committed the murder — and uncovered some quite extraordinary patterns.
In seven out of ten cases, the children have been at the centre of a bitter family break-up. Of course, I wouldn’t for a minute suggest that divorce inevitably leads to murder….
But they all seem to have one thing in common. They feel that their masculinity is being threatened. In getting divorced, they believe they are losing the one thing that makes them feel like successful men: their families.
In murdering their children, they are, in some twisted way, wresting back control not just of their children, but often of their wives, too….
often the trigger is that the spouse is with a new partner or is pregnant. He may have been dreaming of a reconciliation: now he has to face the reality of losing his wife for ever. In half of all cases of Family Annihilator, the murderer kills his former wife, too….
But these men seem to want to inflict maximum damage on their children as a way of proving just how powerful they are — and as a means to inflict the maximum pain on their wives….Fewer than 10 per cent of Family Annihilators have a record of domestic violence.
Even more frightening, perhaps, most have no record of mental illness. They have simply slipped beneath the radar….
And there is no way of predicting which men are going to carry on being loving fathers — and which are going to act on these feelings and turn into Family Annihilators.
Tony Alamo Properties In Fort Smith Sought For Restitution By Jeff Arnold
Times Record May 16, 2013
Two men with a $30 million judgment against Tony Alamo and federal prosecutors are both seeking Fort Smith properties owned by the evangelist, who is serving a 175-year prison sentence.
Seth Calagna and Spencer Ondrisek won the judgment in a federal lawsuit in June 2011 when a jury found Alamo ordered them beaten while they were children and members of Tony Alamo Christian Ministries.
In July 2009, a federal jury in Texarkana, Ark., found Alamo guilty on 10 counts of transporting minor females in interstate commerce for the purpose of criminal sexual activity. In November 2009, Alamo was sentenced to 175 years in prison and is at a U.S. penitentiary in Marion, Ill.
On Tuesday, the U.S. Attorney’s office filed motion in U.S. District Court in Fort Smith and Texarkana, seeking the seizure of six Alamo properties, including two in Fort Smith — a home at 1405 Meadow Lane and a “mechanics shop” at 503 Division.
In an affidavit accompanying the motion, Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Timmy Akins detailed how the properties were used to facilitate the sexual abuse of the girls Alamo was convicted of transporting across state lines for sexual activity.
If federal authorities are allowed to take ownership, the money from the sale of those properties would go toward $2.5 million in restitution — $500,000 for each victim — U.S. District Court Judge Harry Barnes ordered following Alamo’s 2009 conviction….
Alleged Galilee cult leader suspected of abusing children for decade
Munib Farhat, 56, suspected of imposing strict disciplinary code on 11 adults, 25 children • Cult leader allegedly forced parents to beat their children, withhold food….
Daniel Siryoti Newsletter Wednesday May 22, 2013
The details of a shocking child abuse scandal began to emerge on Tuesday in the Galilee town of Majd al-Krum when a Nazareth court lifted the gag order on the affair, which apparently has been going on for ten years.
Munib Farhat, a 56-year-old resident of Majd al-Krum, is suspected of heading a cult and enforcing his will on six families in his community, including dozens of children. The police suspect Farhat of forcing the members of his cult to beat their children, humiliate them, withhold food, lock them in bathrooms….The cult leader is also suspected of abusing the women in the cult, committing sexual assault and sodomizing them….
Farhat denied the allegations and argued that the complainant was seeking revenge against him for being kicked out of the compound.
The chief investigator, Superintendent Eyal Harari, said that the cult did not share a house, but instead lived in houses scattered across the town. “His method was to cozy up to weak, poor families and strike a relationship based on support and fear, to the point of complete dependence and a real fear of leaving the cult,” Harari explained.
The police said further that the suspect habitually locked women up when he was not satisfied with their cleaning duties….
Judge lifts ban on naming ex-priest Bill Carney accused of historic child sex abuse Tom Tuite – 22 May 2013
A FORMER priest awaiting trial on historic child sex abuse charges does not have the right to anonymity, a judge held today.
William Carney, aged 62, is charged with 34 counts of indecent assault of eight boys and two girls, at locations in Dublin and north east Leinster from 1969 until 1989.
Today at Cloverhill District Court, Judge Grainne Malone lifted an earlier gag order prohibiting the news media from naming the 62-year-old who currently has no fixed address.
Her ruling came following submissions from lawyers for the Irish Independent, RTE, The Irish Times, and the Irish Daily Mail’s publishers Associated Newspapers….