Savile ‘boasted of under-age sex’ during BBC meeting, Sugar Ray Leonard : I was child sex abuse victim
October 30, 2012 Comments Off on Savile ‘boasted of under-age sex’ during BBC meeting, Sugar Ray Leonard : I was child sex abuse victim
– Jimmy Savile ‘boasted of under-age sex’ during BBC meeting
– Jimmy Savile: Children in Need had ban – Sir Roger Jones
– Jimmy Savile: the BBC emails
– Jimmy Savile: Agencies could have spotted ‘pattern of behaviour’ police chief admits
– Sugar Ray Leonard: I was child sex abuse victim
Jimmy Savile ‘boasted of under-age sex’ during BBC meeting
During a meeting with Jimmy Savile, a Radio 1 researcher says the late DJ boasted that he’d “had three 14-year-old girls” in his trailer that morning.
12 Oct 2012
Richard Pearson was a 21-year-old working at Radio 1 and meeting with a senior producer in BBC Broadcasting House’s restaurant when he says Jimmy Savile joined them and claimed “not particularly quietly” that he’d just “had” three underage girls in his trailer.
“And when he said ‘had’ he didn’t mean they’d come to criticised his curtains, he meant he’d had sex with them.” Mr Pearson said.
He went onto claim that Savile openly said having sex with the girls “kept him young”.
29 October 2012
Jimmy Savile: Children in Need had ban – Sir Roger Jones
A former BBC governor for Wales and Children in Need chairman says he had suspicions about Jimmy Savile more than a decade ago and would not allow him any involvement with the charity.
Sir Roger Jones heard of rumours from London staff, and the charity decided not to allow Savile “anywhere near” it.
He said he did not tell management because he did not have evidence Savile abused children while a BBC employee.
Police believe Savile may have abused as many as 300 people over 40 years.
Sir Roger’s comments come on the day the investigation into the BBC’s child protection and whistle-blowing policies begins.
He was a member of the board of governors between 1997 and 2002, and said he would have stepped down from his Children in Need role if Savile had become involved with the charity….
Jimmy Savile: Agencies could have spotted ‘pattern of behaviour’ police chief admits
The Metropolitan Police Commissioner has admitted to being shocked by the scale and extent of the Jimmy Savile allegations.
By Martin Evans, Crime Correspondent
29 Oct 2012
Bernard Hogan-Howe also suggested more could have been done when complaints were originally made to spot patterns of behaviour that could have led to the entertainer being stopped.
The Commissioner said it was possible that the authorities including the police and the BBC had relied too much on Savile’s reputation when considering whether to dig deeper.
Mr Hogan-Howe told reporters: “You might have thought that people would at least have talked about it and intervened.
“It does look as if from time to time people have been concerned, they’ve made the start to intervene, but probably then they’ve relied a little bit too much on his reputation and his word that he did nothing.
“If you accept all the public accounts of the activity then it’s possibly spanned 50 years which is a huge amount of time….
Four police forces were contacted by seven potential victims while Savile was alive. Surrey, Sussex and Jersey all found that there was not enough evidence to proceed.
Two potential victims came forward to Scotland Yard – one of whom claimed she had been abused in the 1970s but did not want to pursue a criminal investigation.
Officers are trying to find the original file relating to a second claim made by a woman who claimed she was assaulted in the 1980s, possibly in a caravan outside BBC premises in west London….
So far around 300 potential victims have been identified, with Met officers following more than 400 lines of inquiry.
Meanwhile it has emerged that the Savile scandal has led to a surge in the number of people reporting child sex abuse allegations to the authorities.
Peter Davies, the chief executive of the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (Ceop), said the exposure had encouraged victims unconnected to Savile to come forward and unburden themselves….
Jimmy Savile: the BBC emails
Emails between senior members of BBC staff give insight into whether the corporation scrapped its Jimmy Savile Newsnight investigation after coming “under pressure” from managers.
22 Oct 2012
…. 2 DEC Head of news Helen Boaden tells George Entwistle at an awards lunch that if the Newsnight programme goes ahead he might have to change the Christmas schedules, which include a handful of Savile tribute programmes.
7 DEC Email, Meirion Jones to Peter Rippon. He insists “the story is strong enough” and the danger of not running it is “substantial damage to BBC reputation”.
9 DEC The Crown Prosecution Service tells Newsnight it did not investigate Savile because of lack of evidence. Rippon axes Newsnight item on Savile.
2 OCT 2012 Blog, Peter Rippon, BBC News website. Mr Rippon says on his blog that all the women spoken to by Newsnight had gone to the police already and that no new information had been uncovered by the investigation. Both points are denied by Meirion Jones in the Panorama programme.
5 OCT 2012 Email, George Entwistle to all BBC staff: “The BBC Newsnight programme investigated Surrey Police’s inquiry into Jimmy Savile towards the end of 2011.”
5 OCT Email, Meirion Jones to George Entwistle: “George – one note – the investigation was into whether Jimmy Savile was a paedophile – I know because it was my investigation. We didn’t know that Surrey police had investigated Jimmy Savile – no one did – that was what we found when we investigated and interviewed his victims.”
Sugar Ray Leonard: I was child sex abuse victim Reuters October 29, 2012
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Boxing legend Sugar Ray Leonard recounted his own sexual abuse by coaches he trusted, telling a Penn State audience Monday he hoped to encourage other victims to report abuse to police.
Leonard spoke at a sold-out conference on child sex abuse hosted by Penn State weeks after former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, 68, was sentenced to prison for 30 to 60 years for sexually assaulting 10 boys he befriended through his charity for at-risk youth.
Leonard, 56, who retired after winning world boxing titles in five different weight classes, said as a youth he was sexually assaulted by men he trusted as his boxing coaches.
“Trust is a very sacred thing, especially for young people, kids, or a young boxer, so I trusted these people, these individuals who impacted my life,” said Leonard said. “They told me everything I wanted to hear, and more.”
The former champion said he used drugs and alcohol to “numb” his shame of being a victim of child sexual abuse.
“I beat myself up for years,” said Leonard as the two-day conference got underway with Hurricane Sandy quickly approaching Pennsylvania.
Now Leonard said he wants to step into the spotlight as a leader in the fight against child sex abuse in the hopes it will help other victims find the courage to report crimes to police.
“I’m going to be the poster child. I don’t care,” Leonard said to applause.
“I will be that leader. I will stand right there and say, ‘Yes, something must be done now. Not later, now,'” Leonard said….