Alleged Victim of Bill Cosby Will Cooperate with Prosecutors if Charges Are Brought Against Him, Time hasn’t run out on possible charges against Cosby in Pa., Percentage of students who had ever been physically forced to have sexual intercourse when they did not want to – 5.7%

September 24, 2015 Comments Off on Alleged Victim of Bill Cosby Will Cooperate with Prosecutors if Charges Are Brought Against Him, Time hasn’t run out on possible charges against Cosby in Pa., Percentage of students who had ever been physically forced to have sexual intercourse when they did not want to – 5.7%

– Alleged Victim of Bill Cosby Will Cooperate with Prosecutors if Charges Are Brought Against Him
– Time hasn’t run out on possible charges against Cosby in Pa.
– As Students Return To St. Paul’s, Specter Of Trial And School Culture Questions Linger
– New Hampshire High School Survey
Percentage of students who had ever been physically forced to have sexual intercourse when they did not want to – 5.7%

Alleged Victim of Bill Cosby Will Cooperate with Prosecutors if Charges Are Brought Against Him
By Nicole Weisensee Egan 09/22/2015
If prosecutors decide to arrest Bill Cosby for allegedly sexually assaulting Andrea Constand in January 2004, she will fully cooperate, her attorney, Dolores M. Troiani, tells PEOPLE exclusively.

“I think she’s a very strong lady,” says Troiani, in the lawyer’s first public comments about the possibility of her case being reopened. “She’ll do whatever she needs to do, whatever they ask of her.”

However, both Constand and Troiani are taking no public stance on whether the case should be reopened, Troiani says. (The statute of limitations to charge Cosby does not expire until Jaunary 2016, reports The Philadelphia Inquirer.)

Constand, 42, is a massage therapist who lives in Toronto. In January 2005, when she worked for Temple University in Philadelphia, she went to authorities alleging that Cosby, now 78, had sexually assaulted her in his Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, mansion the year before. Then-Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor, Jr. publicly called the case against Cosby “weak,” and decided not to press criminal charges against the veteran entertainer.

Constand later filed a civil suit against Cosby and agreed to a settlement with him, which came with a confidentiality agreement. In July, Constand filed a motion claiming that Cosby violated the confidentiality agreement. (In 2006, PEOPLE reported on the sexual assault allegations against Cosby from interviews with some of the women who backed up Constand’s account by making similar allegations against Cosby in court. Cosby has previously denied all sexual assault allegations.)….
http://www.people.com/article/bill-cosby-alleged-victim-prepared-to-cooperate-pending-case-reopening

Time hasn’t run out on possible charges against Cosby in Pa.

By Jeremy Roebuck and Laura McCrystal, Inquirer Staff Writers
September 14, 2015

Dozens of women have come forward this year to accuse Bill Cosby of sexual misconduct, their allegations bonded by one undisputed fact: Each claim is too old to prosecute.

But the clock is quietly ticking in Montgomery County on an exception.

A decade ago, Andrea Constand first reported to police that Cosby had drugged and molested her during a January 2004 dinner at his Cheltenham mansion. Under Pennsylvania’s 12-year statute of limitations on felony sex crimes, prosecutors still have until January to bring charges.

And though Constand’s claim was once investigated and closed, hers may be the rare allegation that has actually grown stronger with time, according to interviews with a dozen veteran sex-crimes prosecutors, defense lawyers, and criminal justice experts.

Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman would neither confirm nor deny whether her office was reconsidering the case her predecessor closed a decade ago….

But the allegations this year by more than 40 women that the 78-year-old comedian drugged and assaulted them mirror Constand’s claim. And Cosby’s own, potentially damaging sworn statements about his sexual past were released publicly for the first time this summer.

“We now have something pretty close to an admission from Cosby,” said Roger A. Canaff, a former New York deputy attorney general focused on sex-crimes cases. “We now have dozens of women reporting abuse along similar lines. Where there’s that much smoke, there’s usually fire.”….

Cosby’s own descriptions of the January 2004 encounter with Constand might also help investigators fill in previously unclear details from that night.

Because she was unconscious at the time, Constand only recalled Cosby groping her when she made her initial report to police. As a result, Castor’s office was looking primarily at misdemeanor charges, which carry a two-year statute of limitations.

In the newly released deposition excerpts, however, Cosby described more advanced sexual activity with Constand that night. According to the transcript, Cosby recalled a phone conversation some time after the alleged attack in which he said of his contact with her: “It was digital penetration.”

If true, such a statement could form the basis for a more serious felony charge, such as aggravated indecent assault, legal experts said.

Cosby’s lawyers are likely to fight any effort to introduce that deposition transcript at a trial. They have argued in separate legal proceedings that it was improperly released and remains subject to a confidentiality agreement the comedian signed with Constand in settling the civil suit.

But defense lawyers would face a challenge in trying to bar it in a criminal case, said Lisae C. Jordan, director of the Sexual Assault Legal Institute in Maryland….

http://articles.philly.com/2015-09-14/news/66500374_1_bill-cosby-cheltenham-mansion-andrea-constand

As Students Return To St. Paul’s, Specter Of Trial And School Culture Questions Linger
By Paige Sutherland September 23, 2015….

Last month 19-year-old Owen Labrie was convicted of statutory rape for having sex with a then 15-year-old freshman girl in May of 2014. During the trial, Labrie’s lawyer told the jury how the sexual encounter was part of a so-called tradition known as the “Senior Salute,” for which seniors try to hook-up with as many underclassmen as they can before they graduate….

According to New Hampshire’s 2013 Youth Risk Behavior Study, nearly six percent of all high school students say they have been physically forced to have sex with someone without their consent and more than 10 percent say they were forced to do sexual things by someone they were dating….
http://wnpr.org/post/students-return-st-pauls-specter-trial-and-school-culture-questions-linger#stream/0

New Hampshire High School Survey
Percentage of students who had ever been physically forced to have sexual intercourse when they did not want to – 5.7%

New Hampshire High School Survey
Among students who dated or went out with someone during the past 12 months, the percentage who had been forced by someone they were dating or going out with to do sexual things that they did not want to one or more times during the past 12 months – 10.2%

New Hampshire High School Survey
Percentage of students who had ever been bullied on school property during the past 12 months – 22.8%
http://education.nh.gov/instruction/school_health/documents/nhyrbsresultsgraphs.pdf

Advertisements

Where Am I?

You are currently browsing the statutory rape category at Eassurvey's Weblog.