ICE seeks ‘John Doe’ in largest-ever child porn investigation, Claims ADF abuse victims ignored by specialist taskforce

June 10, 2014 Comments Off on ICE seeks ‘John Doe’ in largest-ever child porn investigation, Claims ADF abuse victims ignored by specialist taskforce

ICE seeks ‘John Doe’ in largest-ever child porn investigation
Jun 09, 2014 By Rob Polansky and Tina Martin

NEW HAVEN, CT (WFSB) –
Federal officials sought the public’s help Monday to find a suspected child pornography distributor.

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations said “John Doe” helped facilitate one of the largest underground networks ever encountered by law enforcement.

ICE said the man was the only remaining suspected administrator of the website. They believed the suspect’s name was Shaun and that he may be between the ages of 40 and 50….

The search was part of Operation Round Table, one of the largest child exploitation investigations in history. It involved victims in 39 states, including Connecticut, and five additional countries.

As a result of the operation, investigators said they identified 251 victims. Eight of the victims were female while 243 were male. The majority of the victims were between 13 and 15 years old. A handful of victims were 6 years old and younger….
http://www.wfsb.com/story/25729030/feds-seek-help-in-finding-child-porn-suspect

Claims ADF abuse victims ignored by specialist taskforce
June 10, 2014  Timna Jacks
Victims of rape and sexual abuse at the Defence Force were never told about a Government taskforce set up to investigate instances of abuse in the military and provide compensation to those affected.

The ABC TV’s Four Corners program has broadcast four case studies of former cadets who report being sexually assaulted and raped at the Australian Defence Force Academy in the 1990s and 2009 but have not had their cases investigated by a specialist taskforce, the Defence Abuse Response Taskforce (DART).

DART was established to assess complaints of abuse, particularly of the ADFA 24 cases –  a group of about two dozen cadets who were sexually abused at the military college between 1994 and 1998. It would also determine whether any ADFA 24 victims or perpetrators are still serving members of the ADF.

However, the Four Corners investigation revealed only seven of the ADFA 24 have lodged submissions, and the deadline for submissions was in May last year….

DART has already assessed more than 2,400 complaints of abuse, paid $28 million in compensation and referred 63 matters to police….
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/claims-adf-abuse-victims-ignored-by-specialist-taskforce-20140609-39thv.html

Ariel Castro, Cleveland Kidnappings – History of Abuse, Pentagon estimates 26,000 sexual assaults

May 10, 2013 Comments Off on Ariel Castro, Cleveland Kidnappings – History of Abuse, Pentagon estimates 26,000 sexual assaults

– Hints of a dark side in Cleveland abduction suspect’s life
– In note, Ariel Castro claimed he was sexually abused as a child
– Cleveland kidnapping suspect had history of abuse, former lover said
– Cleveland kidnappings: Suspect Ariel Castro had ‘no flaw,’ neighbor says
– Pentagon estimates 26,000 sexual assaults

Hints of a dark side in Cleveland abduction suspect’s life
By Daniel Trotta CLEVELAND  Wed May 8, 2013

(Reuters) – In hindsight, there were signs of a darker side to Ariel Castro, the Cleveland man suspected of abducting three girls and holding them captive for around a decade.

Divorced years ago and never seen in the company of women, Castro suddenly started showing up in the largely Latino, working-class neighborhood with a 6-year-old girl. It was his girlfriend’s child, he told neighbors.

Castro, 52, was believed to have lived alone, yet on his lunch break would bring home enough bags of fast food and beverages for several people.

He was a school bus driver given mostly “excellent” marks on his performance appraisals, but was repeatedly disciplined, including for one incident when he was accused of calling a young student a “bitch” and leaving the child alone on a bus. These incidents eventually caught up with him, and he was fired last November….

“Ariel was in my garage probably five or six years ago. We were recording a song, an idea we had – a little hard rock with some Latin,” said Joe Popow, 45, a father of six who said he has known the Castro brothers since childhood.

“And – you’re going to laugh – he said he was in the CIA. And I don’t know if he was joking or not, but it’s the way he said it, how serious he said it. I didn’t know what he was capable of. That just put me on defense, and I just started stepping away,” Popow said….
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/08/us-usa-missing-ohio-suspect-idUSBRE94704Z20130508

In note, Ariel Castro claimed he was sexually abused as a child
CBS News  May 9, 2013

A Cleveland man allegedly confessed years ago in writing to taking the three women he’s accused of raping and holding captive and said that he was abused as a child and raped by an uncle, CBS News senior investigative producer Pat Milton reports.

According to a law enforcement source, Ariel Castro apparently contemplated committing suicide in the lengthy, handwritten note discovered in his house from which the women – Amanda Berry, 27, Gina DeJesus, 23, and Michelle Knight, 32 – escaped Monday.

According to the source, Castro wrote about his whole life, saying that he was abused by his parents as a child and that he was raped by an uncle.

Castro also provided details about taking each of his alleged victims, who went missing in their teens and early 20s. The note was discovered by FBI agents searching his house this week.

CBS News correspondent Dean Reynolds reports Castro called himself a “sexual predator” and blamed the women for their own kidnappings, but he asks for whatever money he has to be donated to his victims after his death.

Investigators inferred from the 2004-dated note that Castro was going to commit suicide. He asked in the note that all of his money be provided to each of his victims….
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57583660/in-note-ariel-castro-claimed-he-was-sexually-abused-as-a-child/

Cleveland kidnapping suspect had history of abuse, former lover said
By Alana Semuels and Ari Bloomekatz
May 8, 2013

CLEVELAND — One of the men suspected of imprisoning and abusing three recently freed young women was earlier accused of a series of violent acts against the mother of four of his children and was ordered to complete domestic violence and substance abuse counseling.

Grimilda Figueroa, who in various court documents filed in 2005 said she had four children with Ariel Castro, told authorities that Castro broke her nose twice, knocked out her tooth and threatened to kill her and her daughters several times.

“Ariel Castro and I were never married. During our relationship, he was very abusive,” Figueroa said, according to an affidavit filed in Cuyahoga County in 2005.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-ohio-women-cleveland-suspect-abuse-20130508,0,5534556.story

Cleveland kidnappings: Suspect Ariel Castro had ‘no flaw,’ neighbor says
By Michael Muskal and Alana Semuels
May 7, 2013
CLEVELAND – Ariel Castro, the former school bus driver who is a suspect in the kidnapping of three women who escaped years of incarceration, was a friendly man who befriended area children and gave no hint of what was happening behind the locked doors of his Seymour Avenue house, his neighbors say.

“If a kid didn’t have a father, they would look up to him. There was no flaw,” said Juan Perez, 27, who lives two doors down from the house from where the three abducted women escaped on Monday. “I guess he had a great mask to cover a monster.”

Castro was known for giving children rides in his four-wheeler. He attended neighborhood parties and would have a beer….

Hector Lugo, 31, who lives on the same street, said he still can’t believe the friendly guy who would give his nieces rides was allegedly the perpetrator behind kidnappings that have baffled this city for a decade.

“He used to drive my nieces on his four-wheeler. That’s what threw me off,” Lugo said. “They always thought of him as a cool person — a cool person to kick it with. He was an outgoing person, he never messed with anyone. He was always cool.”….
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-cleveland-kidnappings-ariel-castro-20130507,0,325028.story

Pentagon estimates 26,000 sexual assaults; Obama vows crackdown
By DAVID S. CLOUD Tribune Washington Bureau  Tuesday, May. 7, 2013

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon estimated that 26,000 members of the military were sexually assaulted in unreported incidents last year – 35 percent more than in 2010 – a severe trend that senior officials warned could threaten recruiting and retention of women in uniform….

police in Arlington, Va., arrested the chief of the Air Force sexual-assault prevention branch for allegedly groping a woman outside a bar near the Pentagon, the latest sexual scandal to hit the headlines. Officials said Lt. Col. Jeffrey Krusinski was removed from his post after the arrest.

….An investigation that began in 2011 at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas has turned up 59 cases of sexual assault of military recruits by drill instructors….
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/07/5402972/pentagon-estimates-26000-sexual.html

Sex Abuse Scandal at Lackland Air Force Base, Bishops Told Pedophiles Lie, Victims Must Be Heard

July 21, 2012 Comments Off on Sex Abuse Scandal at Lackland Air Force Base, Bishops Told Pedophiles Lie, Victims Must Be Heard

Why Won’t Congress Investigate the Sex Abuse Scandal at Lackland Air Force Base?  Soumya Karlamangla The Nation July 17, 2012

Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas, has become the center of the nation’s biggest military sex abuse case in years. Over the past several months, a widespread sexual crime epidemic that began in 2009 has been uncovered at the camp, with twelve of 475 of the base’s instructors accused of either rape, sodomy and aggravated sexual assault, among other offenses, and thirty-one female trainees identified as victims.

Now dozens of lawmakers are calling for a Congressional hearing to investigate the incidents at Lackland. But there’s no sign that one will happen anytime soon…..

At a hearing last month, two female former trainees told a courtroom that they were pressured to have sex with two of their male instructors. The men called them over the intercom under false pretense and asked them to leave their dorm rooms, then led them to a supply closet where one of the men had sexual intercourse with one of the women, while the other woman performed oral sex on the other male instructor….

According to the Department of Defense, one in four women who join the military will be raped or sexually assaulted. And according to a report released last year by the department, 71 percent of women and 85 percent of men who experienced unwanted sexual contact chose not to report it. http://www.thenation.com/article/168918/why-wont-congress-investigate-sex-abuse-scandal-lackland-air-force-base

Call over the intercom led to Lackland sex tryst
By Sig Christenson Saturday, June 2, 2012
Two former Air Force trainees said Friday they were lured into a sexual tryst by a pair of trainers on their last night in San Antonio. Testifying at an evidentiary hearing, the women said Staff Sgt. Kwinton Estacio called over an intercom two days after they graduated from basic training last fall and asked them to leave the dorm and meet them. http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/military/article/Call-over-the-intercom-led-to-Lackland-sex-tryst-3602350.php

2010 Workplace and Gender Relations Survey of Active Duty Members Overview Report on Sexual Assault http://www.sapr.mil/media/pdf/research/DMDC_2010_WGRA_Overview_Report_of_Sexual_Assault.pdf

Bishops Told Pedophiles Lie, Victims Must Be Heard NICOLE WINFIELD   02/7/12

ROME — Priests who rape and molest children lie when confronted with an accusation but victims usually tell the truth, psychologists told Catholic bishops at a symposium Tuesday, advising them to listen first to the victims….

Survivors of clerical abuse have long said that once they summoned the courage to denounce their abusers to church leaders, Catholic bishops often dismissed their accusations and instead accepted the word of their priests, whom bishops consider their brothers and sons in the priesthood.

That pattern led to decades in which bishops shuffled pedophiles from parish to parish, protecting the church’s reputation at all costs, while victims were left to feel like they were to blame for the abuse.

Marie Collins, who was assaulted as a 13-year-old by a hospital chaplain in her native Ireland, told the bishops that dynamic led to multiple hospitalizations later in life for anxiety and depression. She told her story of abuse and how the church’s response to it – refusing to believe her, telling her it was her fault and taking the priest’s word over hers – made the initial trauma even worse….

Monsignor Stephen Rossetti, a psychologist who for a decade ran a U.S. treatment center for abusive priests, told the conference Tuesday that just like alcoholics or drug addicts, sexually abusive priests often lie when confronted with allegations. They manipulate, they con, they deny, he said.

“There are false allegations to be sure” and it’s critical to restore a priest’s good name when he has been cleared, Rossetti said in his prepared remarks. “But decades of experience tell us that the vast majority of allegations – over 95 percent – are founded.” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/07/bishops-told-pedophiles-l_0_n_1259416.html

Private Practice – ABC Makes TV History, Public Reading of SYBIL in her own words

March 1, 2012 Comments Off on Private Practice – ABC Makes TV History, Public Reading of SYBIL in her own words

Private Practice Partners with RAINN As ABC Makes TV History

ABC made television history this month when its hit drama, Private Practice, ran a storyline about a male survivor of sexual assault. The episode featured a character that had just returned from Afghanistan, who discloses that he was raped during his military service. This was the first time that a national network addressed sexual assault in the military.

The Private Practice team, led by the show’s creator, Shonda Rhimes, partnered with RAINN for the second time in the last year. Experts on RAINN’s staff were able to help the show’s writers and producers understand what many men go through after an assault, and the challenges they face in their recovery process.

http://rainn.org/news-room/private-practice-military-survivor-episode

The Time Has Come – Full Episode – Private Practice – ABC

http://abc.go.com/watch/private-practice/SH559070/VD55167665/the-time-has-come

Press Release: Reading of “SYBIL in her own words: The Untold Story of Shirley Mason, Her Multiple Personalities and Paintings.”

The public is invited to attend a reading of the book “SYBIL in her own words: The Untold Story of Shirley Mason, Her Multiple Personalities and Paintings.” It is the follow up to the original book SYBIL. Being her friend, Shirley gave Dr. Suraci the materials for this book about her life after her cure.  Paintings of 5 of her 16 alternate personalities will be projected on a screen and Dr. Suraci shall give interpretations of the various emotions each personality displayed.

A recording of her conversation with Dr. Suraci will be played so the audience will hear Sybil/Shirley’s voice for the first time. Shirley maintained her anonymity until her death.

The event will be held on March 31, 2012 from 7pm to 9pm at the Bluestockings Bookstore,  172 Allen St. New York, NY 10002 – 212.777.6028

Sybil in her words – Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sybil-In-Her-Own-Words/108610352553254

Sybil in Her Own Words – Patrick Suraci, Psychologist http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patrick-suraci/post_2699_b_1152241.html

Patrick Suraci, Ph.D. Biography http://members.authorsguild.net/psuraci/

Where Am I?

You are currently browsing the sexual assault in the military category at Eassurvey's Weblog.