Grandfather guns down six grandchildren and his daughter, ‘Craigslist Killers’ Sentenced to Life in Prison
September 19, 2014 Comments Off on Grandfather guns down six grandchildren and his daughter, ‘Craigslist Killers’ Sentenced to Life in Prison
‘Craigslist Killers’ Miranda and Elytte Barbour Sentenced to Life in Prison By Associated Press 09/18/2014
A newlywed couple whose Craigslist ad lured a stranger to his death were sentenced Thursday to life in prison without parole by a judge who said their “permanent removal” from society is appropriate.
Neither 19-year-old Miranda Barbour nor her 22-year-old husband, Elytte, displayed emotion as they sat with their lawyers in the Sunbury, Pennsylvania, courtroom while some of the victim’s relatives described the grief and pain they have experienced since the Nov. 11 murder….
The couple pleaded guilty last month to second-degree murder, which carries a mandatory life sentence, in a plea deal that ruled out the death penalty….
In April, Miranda Barbour gained some notoriety when she claimed in an interview with the Sunbury newspaper, The Daily Item, that she had killed at least 22 other people in Alaska, Texas, North Carolina and California over six years as part of her involvement in a satanic cult.
Police said they couldn’t substantiate her claims. But in a Monday telephone interview with The Daily Item from Muncy State Prison, Miranda Barbour stood by her confession to multiple murders…. http://www.people.com/article/craigslist-killers-sentenced-life-in-prison
Grandfather guns down six grandchildren and his daughter in Florida trailer home
Sep 18th 2014 By RYAN GORMAN
Six children and two adults, including the shooter, are dead after a mass shooting in Florida, authorities said.
Grandfather Don Spirit, 51, reportedly gunned down his adult daughter and her six children inside his Bell home, Gilchrist County Sheriff Robert Schultz said in a Thursday evening press conference. Local media is reporting the other adult victim is 28-year-old Sarah Spirit, but he declined to confirm….
The Thursday afternoon incident began as a domestic dispute, but it is not known what triggered the confrontation. Also not clear is what type of gun was used in the mass shooting.
“It started out as a family dispute and escalated,” a law enforcement source previously told AOL News.
Donald Spirit has a criminal record, Schultz said, but declined to confirm his previous charges.
The gunman reportedly pleaded guilty to to shooting his eight-year-old son in in a 2003 hunting accident. He was released from prison in 2006, corrections records showed….
Other charges include possession, depriving a child of food/shelter and accidental death, records reportedly show.
Methamphetamine is also reportedly “a problem” in the trailer home where Donald Spirit lives…. http://www.aol.com/article/2014/09/18/mass-shooting-florida-six-children-eight-people-dead/20964648/
Satanic Craigslist Killers Dodge Death Penalty for Man’s Vicious Murder, ‘Culture of denial’ leaving UK children at risk of serious abuse
August 29, 2014 Comments Off on Satanic Craigslist Killers Dodge Death Penalty for Man’s Vicious Murder, ‘Culture of denial’ leaving UK children at risk of serious abuse
Satanic Craigslist Killers Dodge Death Penalty for Man’s Vicious Murder
By Dominic Gover IB Times – Wed, Aug 27, 2014
A young married couple who killed a man who answered their Craigslist advert, and then claimed more victims, have dodged the death penalty for murder.
Miranda Barbour, 19 and Elytte Barbour, 22, admitted the murdered of Troy LaFerrara in Pennsylvania, United States, last year.
Forty-two year-old LaFerrara was stabbed and strangled by the couple when he met them in a car, after making contact on the popular website Craigslist.
Both Barbours pleaded guilty to murder, meaning they will not face a death sentence for the crime. The case saw them labelled the ‘Craigslist Killers’….
Police documents stated Elytte hid beneath a blanket in a car and then pounced upon LaFerrara when Miranda gave him a signal. She stabbed him repeatedly while Elytte strangled him from the back seat.
Following her arrest and charge for the murder of LaFerra, Miranda claimed to have killed 22 more victims and dumped their body parts in locations close to a venue where she previously worked as a go-go dancer.
Miranda said the alleged killing spree was motivated by her beliefs in Satanism. She also said her alleged victims were men who had “deserved it”.
Craigslist Killers: Satanic murder married couple lure man to death with sex ad on website
Aug 27, 2014 By Christopher Bucktin
Troy LaFerrara, 42, was stabbed and strangled to death by 19-year-old Miranda Barbour and her husband, Elytte Barbour, 22, in Pennsylvania
A satanic teen killer and her husband have avoided the death penalty after they pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a married man whom she lured to his death using the Internet.
Miranda Barbour, 19, and Elytte Barbour, 22, had previously pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder charges that carried a possible death penalty upon conviction.
Following her arrest the 19-year-old boasted from her prison cell on Valentine’s Day she had killed at least 22 other people over six years in a cross-country murder spree motivated by her satanic cult beliefs.
She said she dumped body parts in Big Lake, Alaska, and also in Mexico Beach, Florida where she worked as a 15-year-old lap dancer but police have failed to find any victims….
This culture of silence and denial around child abuse must end
I know from my own experience how difficult it is for victims to speak up, so when they do it is vital that we listen, believe and treat them with respect
James Rhodes theguardian.com, Thursday 28 August 2014
Rotherham stands apart for many reasons: the sheer number of perpetrators; the sheer numbers involved (some survivors, some, sadly, inevitably victims) – 1,400 conservatively estimated – the contents of two state secondary schools or 127 school football teams. But there is a more devastating reason it stands alone: the resounding silence. The countless children who were brave enough to come forward at the time and afterwards, who were disbelieved, punished, mocked, accused and summarily dismissed.
We are told to keep quiet from the earliest, pre-verbal stages of life. Children should be seen, not heard. Don’t answer back. You have two ears and one mouth for a reason. Don’t speak until spoken to. Put up and shut up.
And then a child, doused with petrol and threatened to be set alight, gang-raped and forced to watch others suffer the same, digs deep down and somehow finds the extraordinary courage to stand up and say “this happened to me”. She risks the all-encompassing shame, the reliving and recounting of unimaginable horrors, the video evidence, diagrams of who did what and where, being questioned repeatedly by adults trying to pick holes in her story, the blame, recrimination, taunts, insults; the final, ghastly ripping of the child out of a child. She does it anyway.
I didn’t. I wasn’t that brave. I waited 25 years before going through all that. I was finally heard and believed, and the police tracked down and charged the teacher who raped me. But pick any one of those 1,400 children and look at their experience of the aftermath of abuse and hang your heads in shame.
There is a large section of society for whom talking about child abuse is in itself as bad as child abuse. We are complicit in the shaming, silencing, blaming and castigating of those who are our most defenceless and vulnerable, and it must not, can not, should not stand any longer….
Abuse thrives on silence. It exists because those who have endured it believe at a cellular level that they are in the wrong. They believe they are inherently evil. They believe it is their fault. Is that any surprise given the monstrosity of the Rotherham case?
‘Culture of denial’ leaving UK children at risk of serious abuse
Deputy children’s commissioner Sue Berelowitz says, despite Rotherham and gang violence cases elsewhere, police and authorities are practising ‘wilful blindness’
Randeep Ramesh The Guardian, Wednesday 27 August 2014
Children are at risk of serious abuse across England because of a culture of “wilful blindness” about the scale and prevalence of sexual exploitation across swaths of local government and in police forces, the deputy children’s commissioner warns.
In a highly critical interview given in the aftermath of the Rotherham abuse inquiry, which concluded that hundreds of children may have been abused there over a 16-year period, Sue Berelowitz said she had been “aghast” at the examples of obvious errors and poor practice she found.
Berelowitz told the Guardian she had discovered that police and council officers were in some cases still either looking the other way, not asking questions or claiming abuse was confined to a certain ethnic group – such as Asian men – or a particular social class….
Because the subject matter is uncomfortable and scrutiny damaging, Berelowitz added that there was a “culture of denial” that had been exposed by Prof Alexis Jay’s inquiry into the handling of child abuse in Rotherham. It found at least 1,400 children were sexually exploited by predominantly Asian criminal gangs between 1997 and 2013….