July 2, 2014 Comments Off on Harrowing tales at abuse royal commission
Harrowing tales at abuse royal commission
By Australian Associated Press
29 June 2014
Forty years later in 2006 the man giving evidence read an article by Tommy Campion, another former resident of the North Coast Children’s Home….
In the 1980s he had been diagnosed with depression and attempted suicide several times. He now had leukaemia. In broken voice he told of beatings that left him scarred; of being left at a table for ten hours because he could not eat the food. If he threw up he would be made to eat the vomit.
A priest who seemed kind made him lie naked while he performed a pseudo-religious ritual that involved molesting him sexually….
His life has been no life just like many among the thousands of people who are coming forward to tell their stories – often for the first time….
Children of abuse survivors are learning for the first time why their mum or dad could never hug them. A landscape of broken lives, failed relationships, drug use, anger, suicides, bravery and extraordinary honesty while people struggle still for happiness is being painted by these witnesses.
Preparing for and giving evidence is a renewed trauma and the commission always has counsellors on hand to help them through.
Institutions, the Christian and Marist brothers, the Salvation Army, Catholic and Anglican dioceses, the YMCA, Scouts Australia, state run child-protection agencies and police forces across the country are trying to explain how it happened on their watch.
When a Salvation Army witness started to say how different standards of child discipline in the 1960s and `70s might explain why boys were beaten until they bled in homes in NSW and Queensland, commission chair Justice Peter McClellan interrupted to remind her she was talking about criminal assaults.
Brand protection, systemic failures, wilful ignorances, whether it be in the YMCA, the Scouts or the Catholic Church are being uncovered daily at these hearings.
The Catholic and Anglican churches moved abusers when complaints were made.
They kept no records that can now be produced.
In the case of the Marist Brothers, a man who was jailed for 12 years in 2006 was put on a plane to a clinic for sex-offending priests in Canada three days after the order knew police were investigating him for offences dating back years….
Salvation Army ‘deeply regrets’ sexual abuse of children in its care, Northern Ireland child abuse inquiry to hear victims of Derry nuns, Sisters of Nazareth become second Catholic order to admit to child abuse
January 28, 2014 Comments Off on Salvation Army ‘deeply regrets’ sexual abuse of children in its care, Northern Ireland child abuse inquiry to hear victims of Derry nuns, Sisters of Nazareth become second Catholic order to admit to child abuse
Salvation Army ‘deeply regrets’ sexual abuse of children in its care
Charity acknowledges ‘failure of the greatest magnitude’ before public hearing into its response to abuse at four of its homes
Australian Associated Press
theguardian.com, Monday 27 January 2014
The Salvation Army says it feels deep regret for every instance of sexual abuse inflicted on children in its care.
The statement comes as representatives of the Salvation Army prepare to appear before the royal commission into institutional responses to child sexual abuse on Tuesday.
The commission is preparing to investigate the charity’s movement of staff linked to sex abuse between children’s homes in New South Wales and Queensland….
At a child abuse inquiry in Victoria last year it was revealed that since 1997 the Salvation Army had received 474 abuse claims, 470 of which arose from its children’s homes, over 30 to 40 years.
It has also been reported that the Salvation Army Australia has privately paid out more than $15 million settling abuse claims.
Northern Ireland child abuse inquiry to hear victims of Derry nuns
Former residents of homes run by Sisters of Nazareth to give evidence at historical institutional abuse inquiry on Monday
Henry McDonald Ireland correspondent
theguardian.com, Monday 27 January 2014
The UK’s biggest ever child abuse inquiry will hear evidence on Monday from victims who were abused in two Derry homes run by Catholic nuns.
Based in Banbridge courthouse in Northern Ireland, the historical institutional abuse inquiry will focus on the maltreatment of children in Nazareth children’s home and Termonbacca, both run by the Sisters of Nazareth.
The order of nuns has already issued an apology to victims at the tribunal….
The Derry-based homes are among 13 separate institutions where children were physically and sexually abused. The inquiry will hear from 434 people and will last until June 2015.
A representatives of Northern Ireland’s Health and Social Care Board also said that if the state had failed in any way it was sorry.
Among the state-run institutions under examination was the former boys’ home at Kincora in east Belfast where senior staff including a prominent Orangeman ran a regime of sexual abuse and rape during the 1960s and 70s.
A number of those who ran the home or were implicated in the abuse were also loyalists working as state agents….
Sisters of Nazareth become second Catholic order to admit to child abuse
Nuns join De Le Salle Brothers in admitting at institutional child abuse inquiry that children in their care were abused
Henry McDonald, Ireland correspondent
theguardian.com, Tuesday 14 January 2014
Two Catholic orders have now admitted children were abused in their care at the largest inquiry into institutional child abuse in UK legal history.
The Sisters of Nazareth nuns joined the De La Salle Brothers in their admissions on Tuesday that girls and boys were subjected to physical and sexual abuse in institutions in Northern Ireland that they controlled….