Amnesty demands investigation by UK child abuse inquiry of Kincora Boys’ Home, Mass priest defrocked for sexual abuse
April 1, 2016 Comments Off on Amnesty demands investigation by UK child abuse inquiry of Kincora Boys’ Home, Mass priest defrocked for sexual abuse
Paedophile child psychiatrist revelations – Amnesty demands investigation by UK child abuse inquiry
“It’s too late to save the children abused by Fraser. It’s not too late for the truth to come out.” – Patrick Corrigan
Amnesty International has called again for allegations of involvement by UK security services in child abuse at Kincora Boys’ Home in Northern Ireland to be investigated by the Westminster child abuse inquiry.
The latest Amnesty call comes as a new report reveals that Dr Morris Fraser, a child psychiatrist who has been linked to Kincora, and who was convicted of sexually assaulting a child while working for a Belfast hospital in 1972, was allowed to remain on the British medical register for 24 more years during which he was convicted on abuse charges on two further occasions.
Report author Dr Niall Meehan cites a number of sources linking Dr Fraser to abuse at Kincora Boys’ Home. Allegations have persisted for decades that a paedophile ring at Kincora Boys’ Home in Belfast was linked to the British intelligence services….
Three senior staff at Kincora – William McGrath, Raymond Semple and Joseph Mains – were jailed in 1981 for child abuse, but there have been suggestions of a mass cover-up by MI5, which was rumoured to be protecting high-ranking paedophiles in the military, Civil Service and politics.
One of the child sex abuse victims from Kincora is challenging the home’s exclusion from the inquiry in a judicial review being considered in Belfast High Court. Gary Hoy, who was abused by two of the men who were subsequently convicted, is taking legal action to force a full independent inquiry with the power to compel witnesses and the security services to hand over documents.
The judicial review case has heard allegations that MI5 was involved in covering up the sexual abuse of children in order to protect an intelligence-gathering operation it ran in the 1970s. A decision in the judicial review case is due to be delivered on April 8th.
Government papers disclosed last year revealed that the Belfast boys’ home was at the heart of correspondence involving the security services.
The papers also named former government figures alleged to have been involved in paedophile rings. These include the late Sir William van Straubenzee, who was a government minister in Northern Ireland between 1972-74 when the allegations of a paedophile ring at Kincora were first made; and Sir Peter Hayman, former deputy director of MI6.
Massachusetts priest defrocked for sexually abusing minor: archdiocese
BOSTON By Scott Malone Thu Mar 31, 2016
A suburban Boston priest has been defrocked by the Vatican after an investigation by the Roman Catholic church found him guilty of child sexual abuse, the Boston Archdiocese said on Thursday.
The priest, Thomas H. Maguire, was serving as pastor of Saint Helen Mother of the Emperor Constantine church in Norwell, Massachusetts, about 25 miles (40 km) southeast of Boston, when he was accused in 2012 of inappropriate sexual activity with minors. Maguire was suspended from priestly duties at that time.
Police investigated that allegation but did not find evidence of a crime.
However, following the news of Maguire’s suspension, other people came forward to accuse him of sexual abuse dating to the mid-1990s and earlier, the Boston Archdiocese said in a statement.
A probe by church officials into those earlier allegations concluded that Maguire was guilty of abuse of a minor, the archdiocese said.
It was unclear if there was one or more victims, and the earlier incidents were too old to be criminally prosecuted….
The 2015 film “Spotlight,” which chronicled the Globe’s reporting of the clergy sex abuse scandal, earlier this year won the Academy Award for Best Picture.
The Vatican unveiled in 2014 that it had defrocked more than 800 priests since the start of the crisis.
Insurance experts told a Vatican conference in 2012 that as many as 100,000 U.S. children may have been the victims of clerical sex abuse. Some 12 U.S. dioceses have filed for bankruptcy since the scandal broke, in part due to more than $3 billion in settlements paid to victims.
‘Spotlight’ film Boston clergy abuse scandal, I was abused by clergy: Anglican Bishop Greg Thompson tells of abuse, Texas woman used in ‘ritual’ while being held captive
October 29, 2015 Comments Off on ‘Spotlight’ film Boston clergy abuse scandal, I was abused by clergy: Anglican Bishop Greg Thompson tells of abuse, Texas woman used in ‘ritual’ while being held captive
‘Spotlight’ film illuminates Boston clergy abuse scandal
Investigation led to Cardinal Law’s resignation Oct 27, 2015
BOSTON —It was a scandal that shook the Roman Catholic Church to its core: Hundreds of priests molested children for decades and got away with it because church leaders covered it up.
More than a decade later, the story of how The Boston Globe exposed the church’s secret is being told in “Spotlight,” a movie starring Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams and Mark Ruffalo, set for release Nov. 6.
In Boston, where the scandal led to the resignation of Cardinal Bernard Law and settlements with hundreds of victims, key figures featured in the film say it captures the shock of the scandal as it unfolded, the pain suffered by the victims and the work done by journalists to bring it to light.
“We obviously stumbled upon something far more extensive and horrifying than we had any right to expect to find,” recalled Walter Robinson – played by Michael Keaton – who led the Globe’s Spotlight Team, the investigative unit that broke open the scandal with a series of stories in 2002.
The stories detailed how church higher-ups – including Law – knew priests were abusing children but moved them from parish to parish instead of removing them. The series won the Pulitzer Prize for public service in 2003….
For the reporters, the film is a realistic depiction of both the failings and triumphs of journalism. Before the 2002 series, the Globe had written numerous stories about abusive priests but had not delved deeper to report on who within the archdiocese knew what was going on.
Shortly before Marty Baron took the helm as editor in 2001, he saw a reference in a Globe column about sealed court files in the case of John Geoghan, a priest accused of abusing more than 100 children.
His first day on the job, Baron asked Globe staffers if they had tried to get the files unsealed….
The Spotlight Team went to work while the Globe’s lawyers went to court. A judge eventually unsealed church documents, including priest personnel files containing extensive details on when the archdiocese received sexual abuse allegations against priests and who in the church hierarchy knew. The Globe’s explosive series sparked an upheaval in the Boston archdiocese that snowballed as similar revelations came to light about abusive priests around the world….
I was abused by clergy: Anglican Bishop Greg Thompson tells of abuse as 19-year-old
October 26, 2015 Joanne McCarthy
Anglican bishop Greg Thompson has spoken about being groomed by an Anglican bishop and senior clergyman in the 1970s and later sexually abused, after an historic diocese apology on Sunday for the “shameful” treatment of abuse survivors in the past.
The Newcastle bishop said he was an impressionable 19-year-old when the two men singled him out, made him feel special and used his strong faith and their shared religion as the cover to sexually abuse him.
His allegations against the two men, now dead, were revealed to NSW Police and the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse earlier this year.
Bishop Thompson said he did not reveal the information before the diocese synod at the weekend because he wanted the vote on an historic apology to be a genuine response from clergy and senior diocese parishioners, and not a response to him personally.
“I couldn’t have spoken about the need for an apology if they’d known I was a survivor,” Bishop Thompson said.
“I wouldn’t have known if the response was for me or survivors. I didn’t want it to be just about me or any one particular survivor.”
He felt stronger after the synod supported an apology, without dissent, in which the diocese apologised “for the shameful way we actively worked against and discouraged those who came to us and reported abuse”.
“We are ashamed to acknowledge that we only took notice when the survivors of abuse became a threat to us.”….
Texas woman used in ‘blood ritual’ while being held captive
Wednesday, October 28, 2015
DALLAS (AP) — Four people kidnapped a woman and held her captive for three days in a San Antonio-area home, forcing her to ingest drugs and at one point conducting a “blood ritual,” a sheriff’s spokesman said Wednesday.
Authorities believe Mercedes Salazar, 32, was the ringleader who orchestrated the woman’s captivity, according to James Keith, spokesman for the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office. Salazar is being held on charges that include aggravated kidnapping, he said.
Keith said Salazar believed the 25-year-old woman played a role in the August killing of her brother. Authorities say there’s no indication the victim played any role in the death.
The woman was abducted last month and spent most of her time in captivity tied to a chair. She told investigators she was forced to take drugs, including what she believed was heroin. Her captors also held a ceremony that Keith described as a blood ritual.
“It was a form of witchcraft where they cut her hair and drew blood from her,” he said….
Teachers at 130 UK schools involved in sex crimes, Poland’s Roman Catholic Church faces first abuse lawsuit, Nick Clegg’s ex-headmaster jailed for abusing boys, 70% of shelved child abuse inquiries could be reopened following complaints by victims, Supreme Court Oral Argument Audio and Transcript
February 7, 2014 Comments Off on Teachers at 130 UK schools involved in sex crimes, Poland’s Roman Catholic Church faces first abuse lawsuit, Nick Clegg’s ex-headmaster jailed for abusing boys, 70% of shelved child abuse inquiries could be reopened following complaints by victims, Supreme Court Oral Argument Audio and Transcript
Teachers at 130 UK schools involved in sex crimes
Mon Jan 20, 2014
Teachers at 130 schools in Britain have been involved in sex crimes against hundreds of children, an analysis has revealed.
The analysis by British newspaper The Times indicated that dozens of leading public schools as well as 20 elite preparatory schools in the country are included in the list.
According to the paper, the list features 64 mainstream positive private-sector establishments, most of them boarding schools, where at least one male teacher has been convicted of sexual abuse against young boys, and a further 30 at which a number of staff were sentenced over similar charges.
This comes as dozens of private schools in Britain are already under investigation over child sex abuse allegations, spanning from the 1950s to the 1990s….
Poland’s Roman Catholic Church faces first abuse lawsuit
6 February 2014
A Polish man who was abused as a child by a priest is suing the country’s Roman Catholic Church – the first such civil case in the country.
The man – who is only identified as 25-year-old Marcin K – is demanding 47,500 euros ($64,500; £39,550) in damages.
The priest has been convicted and is now serving a two-year jail sentence.
The church leadership apologised to all child abuse victims last year, but insisted it would not pay damages for the crimes of individual clergymen.
On Wednesday, the UN said the Vatican should “immediately remove” all clergy who were known or suspected child abusers.
In a report, the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child also denounced the Holy See for adopting policies which allowed priests to sexually abuse thousands of children….
Nick Clegg’s ex-headmaster jailed for abusing boys
6 February 2014
The former headmaster of a school attended by Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has been jailed for eight years for sexually abusing five pupils.
Roland Peter Wright, 83, of Farnham Royal, Buckinghamshire, abused boys aged between eight and 13 at Caldicott Preparatory School from 1959 to 1970….
Judge Joanna Cutts QC told Wright: “These offences were so serious that it is beyond question that only a custodial sentence can be justified.
“I have to sentence you for multiple offending against each of these victims.
“This was prolonged activity, the boys were groomed by a master at a school responsible for their care.”….
At his trial last year, Amersham Crown Court was told Wright was the centre of a paedophile ring at the school….
70% of shelved child abuse inquiries could be reopened following complaints by victims
Paul Peachey Crime Correspondent
Wednesday 05 February 2014
Dozens of historic child abuse inquiries could be restarted following complaints by victims of being let down by the criminal justice system.
Senior police revealed yesterday that 70 per cent of shelved cases so far examined have been sent for review because of flaws in the original investigation.
The figures emerged yesterday after senior police accepted that the “whole system” of investigating child abuse cases had to be improved after bungled investigations into child-grooming cases and the failure to call Jimmy Savile to account while he was alive….
Police training has been overhauled following the failure to identify years of abuse by child grooming gangs who targeted and manipulated vulnerable victims.
Seven men were jailed last year after they were convicted of plying young girls with drink and drugs before forcing them to commit sex acts. Police missed numerous chances to intervene because their stories of extreme depravity were not believed….
Supreme Court Oral Argument Audio and Transcript
Presented by The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, 02 February 2014.
Facts of the Case
Doyle R. Paroline pled guilty to possession of 150-300 images of child pornography. Included among those files on his computer were two photographs of Amy Unknown, a victim of child pornography. He was sentenced to 24 months of incarceration followed by release under supervision. Under a federal statute that mandates full restitution to victims of child pornography by those convicted of creating, distributing or possessing such material, the Government and Amy sought restitution in the amount of nearly $3.4 million. The district court denied restitution and held that the statute required the Government to prove that Paroline’s possession of the images was the proximate cause of the injuries for which restitution was sought. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit reversed and held that Paroline was responsible for restitution for all the victim’s losses even if his criminal acts occurred after the victim’s losses.
To recover restitution, must either the government or the victim establish a causal relationship between the defendant’s conduct and the victim’s harm or damages?
February 2, 2014 Comments Off on Ireland and Child Abuse
Ireland and Child Abuse
By THE EDITORIAL BOARD JAN. 31, 2014
For years, the government of Ireland has denied liability for child sexual abuse by teachers in state-financed schools managed by the Roman Catholic Church. The European Court of Human Rights punctured this denial Tuesday with a finding that the Irish government, in financing and regulating the education of youngsters, had “an inherent obligation” to protect them, and owed compensation to a victim whose case was rejected as groundless by Ireland’s highest court.
The European court pointed to the obvious: The Irish government is responsible for failing to act against inhuman and degrading treatment of citizens that is specifically barred under Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights. The court ordered more than $150,000 in compensation and court costs for Louise O’Keeffe, who had been repeatedly abused 40 years ago as a 9-year-old at the national school at Dunderrow, County Cork.
The abuser was a lay teacher, Leo Hickey, who was not charged for 20 years, even though parents had complained about him to a school administrator in the early 1970s. The scandal finally broke into the open in the 1990s and the abuser was sentenced to three years in prison after being charged with 386 criminal offenses involving 21 youngsters….
December 29, 2013 Comments Off on Pa. court reverses conviction of Roman Catholic church official jailed in clergy abuse scandal
Pa. court reverses conviction of Roman Catholic church official jailed in clergy abuse scandal
December 26, 2013
PHILADELPHIA – A Pennsylvania appeals court has ruled that a Roman Catholic church official was wrongly convicted for his handling of priest sex-abuse complaints.
The unanimous decision released Thursday by the state Superior Court also dismisses the criminal case against Monsignor William Lynn.
Lynn has been serving three to six years in prison after his child-endangerment conviction last year. Prosecutors had argued that Lynn reassigned predators to new parishes in Philadelphia when he was secretary for clergy from 1992 to 2004….
But Lynn’s attorneys contended the state’s child-endangerment law at the time applied only to parents and caregivers, not supervisors like Lynn.
Italian politicians to meet with Kevin Annett and ITCCS to plan “comprehensive campaign to de-secularize” the Vatican
September 2, 2013 Comments Off on Italian politicians to meet with Kevin Annett and ITCCS to plan “comprehensive campaign to de-secularize” the Vatican
“Spiritual Assembly” to convene on September 22 in Rome and twenty one countries
Posted on August 26, 2013 by itccs
Italian politicians to meet with Kevin Annett and ITCCS to plan “comprehensive campaign to de-secularize” the Vatican
The campaign for justice by victims of the Roman Catholic Church took a major step forward this past weekend when two political parties in Italy agreed to meet with ITCCS officials in September.
The meeting will plan what an internal statement calls “a comprehensive political and legal campaign to de-secularize the church and bring it under the rule of law and democratic control”.
This campaign will include as its aim the annulment of the so-called Lateran Treaty between Italy and the Vatican which protects the church from prosecution for its crimes against humanity.
Inspired by the August 4 Brussels Declaration of the ITCCS that proclaimed the Roman Catholic Church to be a transnational criminal body under international law, the Italian parties agreed that the time has arrived for “decisive political action in Italy on behalf of all the victims of the papacy”….