Rochdale child sex ring – No officers to be charged over Rochdale child abuse failure, say police, Clergy Sex Abuse Victims In Montana’s Diocese of Helena To Receive $20 Million In Payments
March 13, 2015 Comments Off on Rochdale child sex ring – No officers to be charged over Rochdale child abuse failure, say police, Clergy Sex Abuse Victims In Montana’s Diocese of Helena To Receive $20 Million In Payments
Rochdale child sex ring
No officers to be charged over Rochdale child abuse failure, say police
Greater Manchester police examined the conduct of 13 officers between 2008 and 2010 but found only one warranted disciplinary action
Thursday 12 March 2015
No police officer will be disciplined over a force-wide failure to tackle the sexual abuse of teenage girls in Rochdale, according to a report by Greater Manchester police (GMP).
The force looked at the conduct of 13 officers between 2008 and 2010, but served notices of misconduct on only seven. Ultimately only one officer, an inspector, was found to have warranted disciplinary action but he was able to retire without any sanction being taken against him. The remaining six officers were given “words of advice” by superiors.
GMP took four years to complete the investigation under the supervision of the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC). The officer who retired had been in a supervisory role in 2008 when Girl A, the teenager at the heart of the landmark 2012 trial of nine paedophiles, made her allegations of abuse. He had been in the force for 30 years.
A second officer failed to serve an abduction notice on Shabir Ahmed, the leader of the gang who preyed on girls visiting two takeaways in Heywood. A third was criticised for yawning while interviewing Girl A about her allegations.
The assistant chief constable of Greater Manchester police, Dawn Copley, acknowledged “mistakes were made and victims let down”. She laid some of the blame at the force’s focus in 2008–10 on targeting such crimes as burglary.
There was also a widespread lack of understanding about the complexities of child sexual exploitation. But she insisted that lessons had been learned in the aftermath of the failings.
Nine men from Rochdale and Oldham were found guilty of offences that included rape and conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a child. Eight were of Pakistani origin, the other from Afghanistan. The court heard the group had plied five victims with drink and drugs and “passed them around” for sex.
Girl A reacted with fury at the report. “I’m fuming,” she said. “It’s taken them four years and it reads like a whitewash. These policemen have done wrong and yet none of them has been named and the one they wanted to discipline has been able to retire. It just seems very, very convenient.”…. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/mar/13/no-officers-charged-over-rochdale-child-abuse-failure-greater-manchester-police
Clergy Sex Abuse Victims In Montana’s Diocese of Helena To Receive $20 Million In Payments
AP By Matthew Brown 03/05/2015
BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — Hundreds of victims of clergy sex abuse that spanned decades in Montana stand to receive payments totaling about $20 million, after a federal judge on Wednesday confirmed the bankruptcy reorganization plan for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Helena.
U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Terry Myers approved the plan during an hour-long court hearing in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, in which representatives of both victims and the diocese voiced their support.
More than 360 abuse claims will now go through an adjudication process to determine final payment amounts. Each allowed claim will receive a minimum of $2,500, and attorneys involved in the case said only a handful of the claims are considered dubious.
A $920,000 trust will be established for victims who come forward in the future.
The diocese filed for bankruptcy last year to resolve abuse claims that prompted lawsuits in state court from two groups of victims in 2011.
The majority of abuse occurred at the hands of Jesuit priests at the Ursuline Academy and the St. Ignatius Mission, both in St. Ignatius, Montana. The abuse ranged from rape and fondling, to perpetrators taking sexual photographs of children. It began in the 1930s and continued through the 1970s, according to court documents.
The average age of the victims at the time of abuse was 10 years old…. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/05/diocese-of-helena-bankruptcy-sex-abuse_n_6808486.html
September 17, 2014 Comments Off on Knowl View: ’40 victims’ in Rochdale school abuse probe, MP Cyril Smith
Knowl View: ’40 victims’ in Rochdale school abuse probe
15 September 2014
Police investigating historical child abuse in Rochdale say more than 40 men have said they were victims of the former MP Cyril Smith or other men.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said 24 men have alleged they were sexually and physically abused at Knowl View school in Rochdale between 1960 and 1987.
Twenty of those have said they were abused by Smith, who died in 2010.
At least one victim has told detectives he was raped by the man who was Liberal MP for Rochdale from 1972 to 1992.
Police said they had interviewed 21 men aged between 35 and 80 under caution for a variety of offences but there were still a number of other suspects to be traced and interviewed.
A separate investigation is focusing on Smith, who is alleged to have preyed on youngsters both at Knowl View, where five complainants have come forward, and another school in Rochdale for “difficult children”, Cambridge House, from where 10 complainants have spoken to police.
Another five have said they were abused by Smith at various other locations, all in the Greater Manchester area….
Double child abuse agony for Rochdale family
By Jane Deith 16 September 2014
Two children from one family were sexually abused in separate paedophile scandals in Rochdale the BBC has found.
A boy was sexually assaulted at Knowl View School and a decade later his sister was groomed for sex by a gang of Asian men in the town.
Their mother only learned from the BBC that her son, who died recently, had been a victim.
She said she did not think it was a coincidence that both abuse scandals happened in the same town.
BBC Radio 4’s File on 4 programme discovered the link while investigating Knowl View, a school for boys with special educational needs.
The former Rochdale MP Cyril Smith sexually assaulted young boys at the residential school.
The programme was shown a list of children who were at Knowl View during the 1990s….
Failure to end abuse
In the early 1990s, three official reports were written about sexual abuse at the school but they were not made public.
Greater Manchester Police is investigating whether there was a criminal cover-up.
Current MP for Rochdale Simon Danczuk is now questioning whether the failure to end the abuse at Knowl View led to a climate in which the subsequent child sex ring in Rochdale was allowed to emerge.
“I’ve often wondered whether there’s a connection between the two and whether the culture was influenced by the fact that Smith’s abuse had been ignored by people in the town and whether that impacted on the Rochdale grooming scandal.
“Knowl View links the historic to the recent is the point I’m making… it’s a continuum of abuse by individuals, but also by groups because Knowl View is about groups of abusers coming together just like the grooming gangs that have been involved with the girls.”….
November 2, 2012 Comments Off on Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter, Rochdale child sex ring
– Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter and the politics of paedophile rings
– Rochdale police and council ‘repeatedly warned’ about sex abuse risk in town
– Rochdale child sex ring: council head to be questioned by MPs
Leader to be asked why social workers ‘missed opportunities’, as lawyer for victims considers legal action against authority
– Rochdale abuse scandal: Victims likely to sue
Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter and the politics of paedophile rings 2 November 2012 Michael Salter
In Britain, the sexual abuse allegations against television personality Jimmy Savile have now implicated glam rocker Gary Glitter and comedian Freddie Starr. Police have intimated that other high-profile arrests are forthcoming.
These developments have finally given credence to the accounts of many victims – who over the years have maintained that Savile was part of an organised group of men who shared his sexual interest in minors….
Victims can find it very difficult finding someone to take them seriously. An independent 2010 report into child protection in Britain, which was not made public but was quoted in the UK print media, found child victims of sexually abusive groups were often ignored by the authorities. One victim complained:
The authorities did not understand what was happening to us, either because they did not believe us or because they could not comprehend that something as serious as this was possible.
Until his death in 2011, Savile was a much-loved British media personality. Now, he is the subject of allegations of sexual abuse from at least 300 victims dating back decades. Questions have been raised about how much friends and colleagues knew about, and potentially colluded in, these crimes….
Accounts of organised abuse have circled around Savile for some years. They have not been acted upon until now. Investigations into Savile’s involvement in the abuse of children at the Haut de la Garenne children’s home in Jersey, dismissed in 2008 for “lack of evidence”, have now been reopened. New evidence has not emerged. Simply put, there is new pressure on the relevant authorities to be seen to be taking these allegations seriously….
Rochdale police and council ‘repeatedly warned’ about sex abuse risk in town
NHS team made 83 referrals to borough council from 2004-10 in town harbouring gang of nine finally jailed over child sex ring Rachel Williams The Guardian, Wednesday 26 September 2012
Social workers and police in a town where nine men were found guilty of running a child sexual exploitation ring had been warned dozens of times that local girls were at risk of abuse in the years before charges were brought in that case, the Guardian can reveal.
Figures obtained under the Freedom of Information Act show that an NHS team providing sexual health services to vulnerable young people made 83 referrals to Rochdale borough council about girls they thought were either being sexually exploited, or were at risk of exploitation, between 2004 and the end of 2010.
Staff on the crisis intervention team (CIT) also made 44 referrals to Greater Manchester police in the same period.
The revelations come as Rochdale’s safeguarding children board (SCB) publishes a review concluding there were “many missed opportunities” over the past five years to safeguard children and young people affected by sexual exploitation. A working group set up by the SCB in 2007 identified in its first year 50 young people affected by, or at risk of, exploitation, the report reveals.
At a Liverpool crown court trial this year, nine men were found to have “shared” five girls in Rochdale, plying them with fast food, drink and drugs so they could “pass them around” and use them for sex.
The victims, were raped, physically assaulted and forced to have sex with several men in a day, several times a week….
Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk said: “The Guardian’s investigation shows without any doubt that police and social services ignored an endemic problem of abuse.
“Time and again, the local authority were alerted to the fact these girls were being abused and they failed to do anything. We now need to know what action is being taken against these people that turned a blind eye to abuse and ignored numerous cries for help from young, vulnerable girls.”
The father of the victim referred to in the review said he believed that social workers were incompetent: “Case files show that social workers in Rochdale believed girls who were being systematically abused were ‘making their own choices’. By their neglect, they were complicit in prolonging the abuse. If they had being doing their job, they could have stopped this abuse years ago.”….
Rochdale child sex ring: council head to be questioned by MPs
Leader to be asked why social workers ‘missed opportunities’, as lawyer for victims considers legal action against authority
Lizzy Davies The Guardian, Thursday 27 September 2012
The head of Rochdale council will be questioned by MPs over why his social workers “missed opportunities” to stop the sexual exploitation of young girls, it has emerged, as a lawyer for some of the victims said it was “very likely” they would take legal action against the local authority….
It revealed that, in 2007, a working group set up by the RBSCB had identified 50 young people – most aged between 10 and 17 – whom it believed to be affected by or at risk of exploitation.
Figures obtained separately by the Guardian showed social workers and police had made dozens of referrals concerning girls considered either to be victims or potential victims…..
Rochdale abuse scandal: Victims likely to sue
Paul Keaveny Thursday 27 September 2012
Victims of a child sex ring may take legal action against the authorities for failing to protect them after a damning report laid bare the extent of their failings.
Social workers, police and prosecutors “missed opportunities” to stop a child exploitation ring abusing young girls, a report into the scandal revealed today.
“Deficiencies” in the way children’s social care responded to the victims’ needs in Rochdale, Greater Manchester, were caused by “patchy” training of frontline staff, the Rochdale Borough Safeguarding Children Board (RBSCB) said in its 29-page report into child sexual exploitation (CSE)….
The picture which emerges from the report is one of vulnerable young girls, some as young as 10, who were being targeted for sexual abuse, being written off by those in authority who believed the girls were “making their own choices” and “engaging in consensual sexual activity”.
In reality, girls were being raped and often violently beaten.
The judge who sentenced the nine men said they treated their victims “as though they were worthless and beyond any respect”.
Richard Scorer, a solicitor for some of the abused girls, said it was “very likely” they would be taking legal action against the authorities for failing to protect them….
The gang of nine men received jail sentences of between four and 19 years in May.
The offences happened in and around Rochdale in 2008 and 2009.
The five girls – aged between 13 and 15 – were given alcohol, food and money in return for sex but there were times when violence was used.
Police said the victims were from “chaotic”, “council estate” backgrounds and as many as 50 girls could have been victims of the gang.
A chance to stop the gang was missed in 2008 and both the police and the CPS were forced to apologise for their failings….