Bill Cosby seeks court sanctions, Child sex abuse inquiry: Leo Brittan Westminster, Jehovah’s Witnesses, UN Official who failed to act on child sex abuse allegations resigns
July 23, 2015 Comments Off on Bill Cosby seeks court sanctions, Child sex abuse inquiry: Leo Brittan Westminster, Jehovah’s Witnesses, UN Official who failed to act on child sex abuse allegations resigns
– Bill Cosby seeks court sanctions against accuser over deposition leak
– Child sex abuse inquiry: Leon Brittan among leading Westminster figures named in documents
– Is religion doing enough to root out abuse?
– UN official who failed to act on child sex abuse allegations resigns
Bill Cosby seeks court sanctions against accuser over deposition leak
Reuters By Steve Gorman July 21, 2015
Comedian Bill Cosby filed legal papers on Tuesday calling for court sanctions against a woman accusing him of sexual assault, saying she breached their confidentiality agreement in the leak of his full deposition from a 10-year-old civil case to the New York Times.
Cosby, 78, made the filing in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia in opposition to recent motions by Andrea Constand, a former Temple University employee who has alleged the comedian tricked her into taking drugs before he sexually assaulted her.
The lawsuit she brought against Cosby was settled for an undisclosed sum in 2006, and all documents from the litigation were sealed until a federal judge on July 6 released limited redacted excerpts from Cosby’s 2005 deposition testimony in the case.
Those excerpts included Cosby’s admission under oath that he had obtained Quaaludes, the brand name for a sedative widely abused as a recreational drug in the 1970s, with the intent of giving the pills to young women in order to have sex with them.
On July 8, Constand filed papers in court seeking to unseal the entire deposition and her settlement agreement with Cosby, as well as to free her from any confidentiality restrictions.
The New York Times has since obtained its own record of Cosby’s deposition and posted additional excerpts on its website, revealing testimony in which the entertainer described how he had pursued women and how he obtained Quaaludes.
Cosby’s own court filing on Tuesday stressed that the deposition excerpts so far unsealed by the judge contain no testimony that he engaged in any non-consensual sex or gave anyone Quaaludes without their knowledge or consent….
Child sex abuse inquiry: Leon Brittan among leading Westminster figures named in documents
22 July 2015 By Jack Blanchard
THE former Tory Home Secretary’s name is on government file along with other powerful Westminster officials from the 1970s and 80s including Sir Peter Morrison.
LEADING Westminster figures from the 1970s and 80s including the late Leon Brittan have been named in Government child abuse documents, it was reported last night.
Sky News said that after months of requests Whitehall has finally revealed that papers do exist relating to Margaret Thatcher’s former parliamentary secretary the late Sir Peter Morrison, former Home Secretary Sir Leon, former diplomat the late Sir Peter Hayman and former minister the late Sir William van Straubenzee.
It came after the Government released the details in January of a file prepared for Mrs Thatcher’s office on the ‘unnatural sexual’ behaviour of one of the men Sir Peter Hayman.
The new batch of file names reveal there were further Government papers relating to the former MI6 man and career diplomat.
The content of the papers have not been revealed, however.
Sky News said the documents have been shared with the police and will be passed to the Child Abuse Inquiry led by Justice Lowell Goddard….
Is religion doing enough to root out abuse?
Caroline Wyatt Religious affairs correspondent 22 July 2015
Karen Morgan said the church offered no help when she reported the abuse
From when Karen Morgan was 12, until she was well into her teens, she was sexually abused by her uncle – a ministerial servant with the Jehovah’s Witnesses….
But what is striking about the Jehovah’s Witnesses is their explicit policy of dealing with abuse in-house.
Because of their practice of following the Bible literally, they insist there must be two witnesses to a crime, often not the case in child abuse cases.
However, in Karen’s case a second witness did come forward: Wendy, a family friend and fellow member of the Barry congregation in south Wales. She had been raped by the same man.
When she reported the crime to elders, Wendy was made to describe it in minute detail to a group of older men.
Later, she had to give her account again in the same room as Sewell….
Afterwards, the elders told her that as it was only her account against that of Sewell, nothing more could be done.
This bringing together of the accused and the accuser in a “judicial committee” is a common feature of Jehovah’s Witnesses’ justice.
Karen, still a teenager at the time, was put through the process.
Reluctance to co-operate
The elders also ruled that their separate accusations didn’t constitute the required two witnesses.
Despite a pattern of predatory sexual behaviour, it took more than two decades to bring Wendy and Karen’s abuser to justice.
He is now serving a 14-year prison sentence.
His punishment from the Jehovah’s Witnesses? There wasn’t one.
Even when the case came to court, the organisation was reluctant to co-operate….
In a programme for Radio 4’s The Report, we have identified this lack of co-operation in several other similar cases.
Confidential documents from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Britain – the official name for the Jehovah’s Witnesses – that we have seen are explicit about the best way to deal with such matters being within the congregation….
UN official who failed to act on child sex abuse allegations resigns
July 22, 2015 Associated Press
UNITED NATIONS – The U.N. rights official who admitted not following up for months on allegations of child sexual abuse by French soldiers in Central African Republic has resigned.
The U.N. confirmed Wednesday that Flavia Pansieri has left the post of deputy high commissioner for human rights “for health reasons.” No more details were given.
The allegations by several children as young as 9 of trading oral sex and sodomy for food with French soldiers tasked with protecting civilians in the violence-torn country didn’t become public until late April, almost a year after U.N. staffers first heard the children’s stories. Pansieri’s comments and other leaked documents led the U.N. secretary-general this summer to order an investigation into how the U.N. handled the case.
In a confidential statement for a separate internal investigation, obtained by The Associated Press, Pansieri said she had been distracted from the case by other issues, including budget cuts for several months. “I regret to say that in the context of those very hectic days, I failed to follow up on the CAR situation,” Pansieri said in the statement dated March 26.
She said she and her boss, high commissioner Zeid Raad al-Hussein, had assumed French authorities were handling the allegations, even as France pressed the U.N. for months for more information….
Allegations of Child Sexual Abuse in the CAR Not Given Priority by the United Nations, Argentine Judges Allowed to Resign After Child Abuse Ruling
July 7, 2015 Comments Off on Allegations of Child Sexual Abuse in the CAR Not Given Priority by the United Nations, Argentine Judges Allowed to Resign After Child Abuse Ruling
Allegations of Child Sexual Abuse in the CAR Not Given Priority by the United Nations
07/06/2015 Bea Edwards Executive & International Director, Government Accountability Project
On April 29 Sandra Laville at The Guardian broke the story of child sex abuse by French peacekeeping troops in the Central African Republic (CAR) at a camp for the displaced the previous year. An appalling report had surfaced when Prince Zeid Ra’ad al Hussein, the High Commissioner for Human Rights (HCHR), decided — eight months after the fact — to suspend Anders Kompass, a high-level human rights official and reluctant whistleblower, for reporting the crimes to the French police….
Argentine Judges Allowed to Resign After Child Abuse Ruling
By JONATHAN GILBERT JULY 4, 2015
BUENOS AIRES — Two Argentine judges whose controversial decision to reduce the sentence of a convicted child abuser provoked widespread anger here have had their resignations accepted, Argentina’s state news agency reported on Saturday.
The judges, Horacio Piombo, 72, and Benjamín Sal Llargués, reduced the sentence because they claimed that the 6-year-old victim, a boy, had already displayed homosexual tendencies. They were allowed to step down by Daniel Scioli, the governor of Buenos Aires Province, according to Télam, the news agency.
The revelation of the judges’ ruling infuriated Argentines, especially gay and human rights groups. The federal government’s cabinet chief said it was “one of the greatest barbarities seen in our country.” The decision by Judges Piombo and Sal Llargués to halve the abuser’s sentence was taken last year in the province’s criminal appeals court, but it only came to light recently.
The sentence of Mario Tolosa, the vice president of a sports club who several years ago had raped the boy, a junior soccer player, was cut from six years to a little more than three. Local news reports said Mr. Tolosa had already been released from prison.
The judges based their ruling on what they said was the boy’s sexual disposition, suggesting that he had homosexual leanings….
The judges had previously faced controversy when they halved the sentence of another convicted child abuser, a pastor, in 2011, paving the way for his immediate release from prison.
Police bungle half of online child abuse cases, Two French soldiers suspended over child abuse allegations in Burkina Faso
July 2, 2015 Comments Off on Police bungle half of online child abuse cases, Two French soldiers suspended over child abuse allegations in Burkina Faso
Police bungle HALF of online child abuse cases: Examination of serious allegations was ‘superficial’ and basic police work not carried out, damning reports find
Experts say that 38 per cent of investigations involving vulnerable children are riddled with ‘inconsistencies’
While half of police probes into child abuse on the internet branded ‘inadequate’ in series of reports
In some cases, basic police work such as taking photographs of the scene were not undertaken
By Arthur Martin for the Daily Mail 1 July 2015
More than half of police investigations into child abuse on the internet are branded ‘inadequate’ by a damning series of reports published today.
Experts also say that 38 per cent of probes into all cases involving vulnerable children are riddled with ‘weaknesses and inconsistencies’.
In many cases investigations into child abuse or neglect were poor and plagued by delay, HM Inspectorate of Constabulary concluded.
Researchers found that the examination of serious allegations by officers were ‘superficial’ and crucial leads were not pursued.
In some cases, basic police work such as taking photographs of the scene, analysing mobile phones, or referring a child for medical attention were not undertaken.
During interviews with children, officers used ‘oppressive questioning’ techniques and in some cases were hostile towards the victims they were meant to be helping.
The findings are from three HMIC reports which warn that the police must reassess their approach to child protection or risk failing a new generation….
Two French soldiers suspended over child abuse allegations in Burkina Faso
By Andrew V. Pestano July 1, 2015
PARIS, July 1 (UPI) — Two French soldiers have been suspended and an investigation has been launched due to allegations of child sexual abuse in Burkina Faso.
The soldiers are suspected of “committing acts of a sexual nature,” according to a statement by France’s Ministry of Defense, adding that an investigation has been launched by the Chief of Staff of the French Army, Gen. Jean-Pierre Bosser….
About 3,000 French soldiers are stationed in Burkina Faso, Mali, Chad, Mauritania and Niger as part of an anti-terrorism operation.
In another similar incident, a leaked United Nations report in April alleged 16 French peacekeepers abused children in the Central African Republic by exchanging goods, such as food, for sex between December 2013 and June 2014….
June 4, 2015 Comments Off on UN chief orders review of handling of claims of child abuse by French soldiers
UN chief orders review of handling of claims of child abuse by French soldiers
Ban Ki-moon steps in to announce external review
‘There are systems that failed here,’ UN chief’s spokesman tells reporters
Sandra Laville and Ben Quinn Wednesday 3 June 2015
The UN secretary general, Ban Ki-moon, has made a dramatic intervention in the scandal of French peacekeepers allegedly abusing children in Africa by announcing an independent external review of how his organisation handled the affair.
The move is the first public intervention by the secretary general into what has become a growing controversy for the UN. Pressure is growing on the organisation and on the French authorities to explain when and how they reacted to revelations by children in Central African Republic last year that they were being sexually exploited by French soldiers at a camp for internally displaced people.
In April the Guardian revealed that a senior UN official, Anders Kompass, had been suspended for disclosing an internal report on the alleged abuse to French prosecutors. Documents released last week, including a statement from Kompass, stated his position that he had passed the report to the French because he was concerned the UN would do nothing to stop the abuse. He has been reinstated but is still under internal investigation and could be dismissed….