April 19, 2013 Comments Off on Jimmy Savile’s 1,350 victims, Garda to examine sex abuse claims against ‘Irish Jimmy Savile’
Jimmy Savile’s 1,350 victims
By TOM MORGAN and MIRANDA PRYNNE 4/18/13
Operation Yewtree — the high-profile investigation into sex allegations against a host of celebrities — has found 450 victims of Savile. Peter Spindler is the cop who exposed Jimmy Savile. But former Met Police Commander Peter Spindler told NSPCC child safety campaigners: “There are probably treble that number who haven’t come forward.”
Sex beast Savile escaped justice by fooling the authorities into protecting him, according to the cop who finally exposed him. Mr Spindler admitted yesterday that the BBC paedophile deceived some of the most important figures in public life.
He told NSPCC child safety campaigners: “The reality is that we were all taken in, right to the top of the establishment.
“Retired police officers have come forward to tell us what they had seen.
“The health service gave him unfettered access to some of the most secure places in the UK. There were nursing staff who were telling children to pretend they were asleep….
The Sun can also reveal how the Savile scandal prompted dozens of other child sex abuse victims to come forward.
They are now set to claim hundreds of thousands of pounds in compensation from schools and care homes where they were abused. The allegations, including rape, date from the 1950s up to 2010. Three victims have already seen their abusers convicted.
Solicitor Liz Dux, representing the victims, said: “The one positive outcome of the Savile scandal is the rise in victims coming forward. “Victims have gained the confidence to report crimes through seeing others do the same.” She called on prosecutors and courts to give victims more support. A report by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary last month slammed police forces for failing to investigate claims against Savile dating back almost 50 years. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4894186/Jimmy-Savile-victims-could-top-1350.html
Garda to examine sex abuse claims against ‘Irish Jimmy Savile’
Tom Brady, Security Editor – 17 April 2013
A garda unit has been ordered to take a fresh look at the allegations of sexual abuse against an Irish college founder stretching back over five decades. Domhnaill O Lubhlai died last month without facing any criminal prosecution into complaints that he had abused boys. Claims have now been made that the gardai were given two opportunities in 1991 and 1998 to inquire into the allegations, which date from 1955 to the present, but no investigation was held.
Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan said yesterday that having read reports in the media at the weekend he had decided to ask the force’s domestic violence and sexual assault unit to have another look at the case and determine if there were outstanding issues that needed to be addressed…. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-to-examine-sex-abuse-claims-against-irish-jimmy-savile-29204067.html
‘Irish Jimmy Savile’ shared bed with pupils – dead celebrity could have abused 100s of children, Domhnall O Lubhlai allegedly sexually abuse dozens of children over decades at Irish summer camps, Suspected pedophile Jimmy Savile boasted of IRA connections for protection, Accused BBC superstar used dark threats to keep his secrets safe while alive
April 17, 2013 Comments Off on ‘Irish Jimmy Savile’ shared bed with pupils – dead celebrity could have abused 100s of children, Domhnall O Lubhlai allegedly sexually abuse dozens of children over decades at Irish summer camps, Suspected pedophile Jimmy Savile boasted of IRA connections for protection, Accused BBC superstar used dark threats to keep his secrets safe while alive
‘Irish Jimmy Savile’ shared bed with pupils – dead celebrity could have abused 100s of children
Domhnall O Lubhlai allegedly sexually abuse dozens of children over decades at Irish summer camps By IrishCentral Staff Writers, Tuesday, April 16, 2013
A new documentary claims that Domhnall O Lubhlai, who has been branded the “Irish Jimmy Saville”, sexually abused dozens of boys over two decades.
The families of some of his alleged victims estimate that O Lubhlai could have abused up to 100 boys while he was teaching Irish and religion between 1971 and 1991.
O Lubhlai, an Irish language advocate and founder of one of Ireland’s largest Irish colleges Colaiste na bhFiann, allegedly attacked children, telling them there was only one bed available during trips to the Gaeltacht, forcing them to sleep with him….
‘Irish Jimmy Savile’ shared bed with pupils
Anne-Marie Walsh – 15 April 2013
A DECEASED RTE presenter – branded Ireland’s Jimmy Savile – allegedly attacked children after telling them there was only one bed available during trips to the Gaeltacht.
A shocking TG4 documentary on the late Domhnall O Lubhlai – known as ‘Donal Lovely’ – has led to claims that he may have abused dozens of boys over two decades.
TG4 investigators said Mr O Lubhlai, who died last month, admitted to gardai that he sexually abused boys but was never brought to trial.
They said alcohol was given to children and when they reached their destination they were told there was only one bed so they would have to share with him…. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-jimmy-savile-shared-bed-with-pupils-29195838.html
Suspected pedophile Jimmy Savile boasted of IRA connections for protection
Accused BBC superstar used dark threats to keep his secrets safe while alive
By KERRY O’SHEA, IrishCentral Staff Writer Monday, October 22, 2012,
Jimmy Savile, former BBC personality who died last year, and now an accused pedophile, reportedly boasted IRA connections as a form of protection for himself.
The Mirror reports on Savile’s IRA threats and the terrifying warnings he issued to anyone who crossed him.
Savile once told a Sunday Mirror journalist that, “All I have to do is call my friends in the IRA. They’ll have someone waking up in hospital the next morning eating their breakfast through a f***ing straw.
“I know the IRA, men from the IRA, and you don’t need to ask these guys twice. I’m serious. Don’t f***ing think I’m not serious. I can get them done – just with a phone call. That’s all it takes, young man.”….
Despite having died a year ago at the age of 84, authorities believe that some victims have yet or will not come forward out of fear of the threats that Savile had made.
A source told the Mirror that:“He [Savile] boasted of knowing gangsters and men who you wouldn’t want to double cross. It is likely that some had been threatened with the IRA.”
“They [the victims] are still worried about coming forward. From all of the evidence gathered there is a clear picture developing of someone who not only abused vulnerable children but intimidated them and left them fearing for their lives.”
Once a presenter for BBC’s popular music program ‘Top of the Pops,’ Savile was constantly in the public eye. He often visited Ireland under the guise of doing charity work. Having once even been blessed by the Pope, Savile was keen to keep up appearances in order to make his crimes even harder to prove….
Williams-Thomas was informed of Savile’s threats and said that, “The pattern of behaviour which has emerged is that Savile’s victims felt in great fear of him and this has prevented many from speaking out then or ever since. Having researched Savile and knowing what I know, their fears were and are very genuine. http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Suspected-pedophile-Jimmy-Savile-boasted-of-IRA-connections-for-protection-175218501.html
Irish TV host and child camp founder Domhnall O Lubhlai never stood trial for 11 sexual abuse charges, Gymnastics coach who sexually abused seven girls as young as six walks free from court as judge accepts his ‘remorse’ despite attempts to blame victims
April 13, 2013 Comments Off on Irish TV host and child camp founder Domhnall O Lubhlai never stood trial for 11 sexual abuse charges, Gymnastics coach who sexually abused seven girls as young as six walks free from court as judge accepts his ‘remorse’ despite attempts to blame victims
Irish TV host and child camp founder Domhnall O Lubhlai never stood trial for 11 sexual abuse charges
Language activist and Irish college founder dubbed “Ireland’s Jimmy Savile” was up on 56 horrific charges By IrishCentral Staff Writers, Tuesday, April 9, 2013
The Irish language activist and TV host Domhnall O Lubhlai (84) died before facing sexual abuse claims. O Lubhlai, the founder of one of Ireland’s largest Irish colleges, Colaiste na bhFiann, and the presenter of a TV show on RTE, has been dubbed “Ireland’s Jimmy Savile” due to the allegations against him….
In 2000 O Lubhlai was charged with the molestation of 11 children. O Lubhlai faced 56 charges of sexual assault, buggery and attempted buggery. Five men testified that they had been abused….
However the trial collapsed due to the fact that the accused claimed he was on medication during his interviews with detectives, in 1998 and 1999. Last January a former Irish college student made a fresh complaint against O Lubhlai. He claimed O Lubhlai abused him between the ages of 12 and 15, during the mid-1970s….
The police were compiling a report and witness statement when O Lubhlai was found dead at his Mullingar home, County Westmeath….
Although there were 11 complaints against him in 2000 it was believed that there may have been other victims during his 30 years as a teacher. His alleged crimes only came to light in the early 1990s when he reported that he was being blackmailed by a former student. Until the end, O Lubhlai maintained his innocence and claimed his accusers were motivated by jealousy. http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-TV-host-and-child-camp-founder-Domhnall-O-Lubhlai-never-stood-trial-for-11-sexual-abuse-charges-202093361.html
Gymnastics coach who sexually abused seven girls as young as six walks free from court as judge accepts his ‘remorse’ despite attempts to blame victims
Bob Bellew admitted a string of sexual abuse charges spanning 40 years
Was handed 15-month prison sentence suspended for two years
Judge said offences were ‘not specimens of a course of conduct’
She said ‘punishment has in effect already begun’
Sentence slammed as ‘everything that is wrong’ with British justice system
‘You get six months for taking your husband’s speeding points,’ say victims
Bellew had ‘passed the blame onto his victims’ in a probation report
By James Rush 12 April 2013
An internationally renowned gymnastics coach who sexually abused seven girls as young as six over a 40-year period has walked free from court. Bob Bellew, 66, has published books on gymnastics, taught at schools across the UK and was a former Community Coach of the Year.
He also served on committees planning the 2012 Olympics and was chief coach of the Tower Hamlets Schools gym and dance display team. Bellew was also awarded the ‘Order of the Smile’, a UN-recognised citation for adults ‘distinguished in their love, care and aid of children’.
But he admitted a string of sexual abuse charges, spanning 40 years, against girls he was tutoring….
She described two sets of allegations, the first in the 1970s, and the second in the 1990s and early 2000s. She said: ‘The offences would not have occurred but for the position of trust held by the defendant as a gymnastics coach, which gave him access to the victims who were young and therefore vulnerable.’
Bellew was due to stand trial in September after pleading not guilty to a number of offences in April last year. However, the second set of allegations came to light after the victims read news reports of the pending court case and contacted police.
Bellew admitted eight of 17 charges against him, involving seven victims as young as six years old….
However in a probation report he backed down from his admissions, denying the touching was sexual and passing the blame onto his victims. His lawyer Barry Kogan said: ‘He has had great difficulty coming to terms with the shame of what he has done, and this is demonstrated by what he has told the probation officer, trying to deny his actions, pass them off as inappropriate not sexual, and blame the victims.’….