Ten of Jared Fogle’s child abuse victims paid $1m total prior to sentencing, Attorney: Diocese of Duluth should pay millions to child abuse victim
October 23, 2015 Comments Off on Ten of Jared Fogle’s child abuse victims paid $1m total prior to sentencing, Attorney: Diocese of Duluth should pay millions to child abuse victim
Ten of Jared Fogle’s child abuse victims paid $1m total prior to sentencing
Four other victims expected to receive restitution before former Subway spokesman is sentenced next month – a rare move in child sexual abuse cases
Jared Fogle agreed to plead guilty to receiving child abuse images and having sex with minors.
Associated Press in Indianapolis
Thursday 22 October 2015
Ten victims of former Subway pitchman Jared Fogle have received a total of $1m in restitution since he agreed to plead guilty to receiving child abuse images and sex-crime charges, and his four other victims could receive their checks by the time he is sentenced next month – a move prosecutors said is rare.
The $100,000 checks were hand-delivered to each of the 10 victims or their parents over the last several weeks, with each signing a form saying they had received the money and that it is intended to benefit that particular victim, assistant US attorney Steven DeBrota told the Associated Press on Thursday….
By the time a federal judge sentences Fogle on 19 November to a minimum of five years in prison, DeBrota said prosecutors expect to have either presented checks to Fogle’s four other victims or have plans in place to disburse those funds to them.
That money will pay for mental health counseling, medical care and other needs the 14 victims might have now or in the future to help them recover from the trauma. Three adults and seven minors had received their checks as of Thursday. DeBrota said that money will help them “go on with their lives and put them where they should have been had none of this happened”….
Attorney: Diocese of Duluth should pay millions to child abuse victim
Madeleine Baran · Oct 21, 2015
Attorney Jeff Anderson asked jurors in Ramsey County Wednesday to award $11.7 million to a man who says he was sexually abused by a priest in the Diocese of Duluth when he was a teenager in the late 1970s.
The case is the first clergy sex abuse lawsuit to be argued in front of a jury in Minnesota since state lawmakers passed the Child Victims Act in 2013, according to available court records. The law opened a three-year window for people to file lawsuits for older incidents of abuse.
For decades, most clergy sex abuse cases in Minnesota had been settled privately or were tossed out of court. Earlier this year, the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis prevented hundreds of cases from going to trial when it filed for bankruptcy….
Anderson told jurors that his 52-year-old client, identified in the lawsuit as Doe 30, had been sexually abused by the Rev. James Vincent Fitzgerald at St. Catherine’s parish in Squaw Lake, Minn., in about 1978. As a result of the abuse, Anderson said, the man has been unable to trust people, struggled in school, and has never been in a serious relationship….