‘Warlock’ found guilty of sexual abuse, Child abuse search warrants ‘refused on age of information’
October 7, 2014 Comments Off on ‘Warlock’ found guilty of sexual abuse, Child abuse search warrants ‘refused on age of information’
‘Warlock’ found guilty of sexual abuse
Monday, October 6, 2014
CNHI News Service
A West Virginia man who prosecutors say conducted ritualistic sex acts with young girls who believed him to be a “warlock” has been convicted on multiple counts of sexual abuse involving juveniles.
Jurors found James Rolan Irvin, 57, of Bluefield, guilty Monday of 30 counts of sexual assault and sexual abuse involving juveniles.
Irvin faces a minimum sentence of 220 years in prison, according to Mercer County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney George Sitler.
The verdict came after three days of deliberations by the jury in the case, which gained notoriety as claims of Nolan’s use of magical powers surfaced during testimony.
Police say Irvin used those claims to get close to children and sexually abuse them. According to an arrest report in the case, a teenage girl told a Bluefield Police Department detective her mother was engaged in wiccan and pagan practices with Nolan and “believed him to be a magical warlock.”….
If Nolan’s sentences run consecutively — as the state will request at the Dec. 1 sentencing hearing — Irvin would not be eligible for parole consideration until after serving 225 years, Sitler said.
Nolan was found not guilty of two counts of first-degree sexual assault involving a third juvenile in the case.
Child abuse search warrants ‘refused on age of information’
By Sally Chidzoy & David Keller BBC News 5 October 2014
Delays in a police force receiving details on child abuse suspects from the UK agency tackling such abuse online, has led to search warrants being refused, it has emerged.
Bedfordshire Police said it tried to search homes as part of the global child exploitation sting Project Spade.
But magistrates refused permission, saying the 17-month delay meant the information was too old, police said….
Toronto Police in Canada gave the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) details about 2,345 UK suspects in July 2012 after they were caught buying suspect videos online….
But the images were graded as the lowest risk and were not passed from CEOP onto local police forces for more than a year.
That decision is currently the subject of an investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).
Since then high profile abusers have emerged from these suspects, including a Cambridge doctor who preyed on terminally ill children and a Southend teacher who filmed his pupils undressing.
The BBC has learned 153 suspects from Project Spade come from the East of England, according to figures from seven out of eight of the region’s police forces.