UK police arrest 660 suspected paedophiles, Cyril Smith: ‘evidence of sex abuse’ was overruled CPS report shows, Santa Rosa diocese pays $3.5 million to settle sex abuse case
July 17, 2014 Comments Off on UK police arrest 660 suspected paedophiles, Cyril Smith: ‘evidence of sex abuse’ was overruled CPS report shows, Santa Rosa diocese pays $3.5 million to settle sex abuse case
UK police arrest 660 suspected paedophiles
National Crime Agency detains suspected child abusers, including doctors and teachers, and takes more than 400 children into care
Josh Halliday and Hatty Collier
theguardian.com, Wednesday 16 July 2014
More than 600 suspected paedophiles, including doctors and teachers, have been arrested across Britain after a six-month investigation led by the National Crime Agency.
The agency, dubbed Britain’s FBI, announced on Wednesday it had arrested 660 suspected child abusers and taken more than 400 children into care in the first nationwide investigation of its kind.
Of the 660 arrested, 39 were registered sex offenders but the vast majority of suspected paedophiles were off the police’s radar. Those arrested include doctors, teachers, scout leaders, care workers and former police officers.
The operation, which had remained secret until Wednesday, targeted people accessing indecent images of children online….
One of those arrested and subsequently charged was a doctor who allegedly kept more than 1m images of child abuse on his computers and had arranged to meet boys….
Cyril Smith: ‘evidence of sex abuse’ was overruled CPS report shows
Detective told chief constable in 1970 there was prima facie evidence of guilt – but DPP advised against prosecution
theguardian.com, Wednesday 16 July 2014
A senior detective investigating sex abuse claims against Cyril Smith told the force there was prima facie evidence of the late MP’s guilt in 1970 – but this claim was overruled, newly released documents show.
The detective’s report in 1970 to the chief constable of Lancashire said the Liberal MP would have been “at the mercy of a competent counsel”.
The 14-page report also revealed “veiled threats” from a friend of Smith, thought to be a fellow senior Liberal. The director of public prosecution later advised against prosecuting. Smith died in 2010 aged 82.
The documents were released on Wednesday night by the Crown Prosecution Service following a ruling by the information rights tribunal.
Simon Danczuk, the Rochdale Labour MP, who first named Smith as a child abuser, said that the documents were another indication of the cover-up that had protected Smith from being disclosed as a paedophile.
“This shows that police officers were certain of his guilt,” Danczuk said. “If they had been allowed to do their job they would have saved many more boys from being abused. We know that Cyril went on to abuse many more boys at Knowl View residential school, Elm guest house, and other places, during the 70s and 80s.”….
Santa Rosa diocese pays $3.5 million to settle sex abuse case
BY JEREMY HAY THE PRESS DEMOCRAT July 15, 2014
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Santa Rosa has paid $3.5 million to a teenager who was molested by a Lakeport priest, one of the largest settlements paid out by the North Coast diocese in a series of sexual abuse cases that spanned more than two decades.
An attorney for the victim attributed the settlement’s size partly to the church’s failure to protect children from the Rev. Ted Oswald, even though it was aware he had abused others. Oswald molested the boy, then 12, in 2010, the same year the priest died, with some of the incidents taking place in the Lakeport parish church.
“But for the diocese’s actions, it is entirely possible that this 12-year-old boy would never have been molested,” said Skye Daley, the victim’s attorney.
Bishop Robert F. Vasa, who has led the diocese since 2011, was on vacation Tuesday and unavailable for comment. Diocese spokesman Brian O’Neel rejected Daley’s assertion.
“When the diocese became aware of this most recent allegation, they removed Father Oswald from ministry and reported the situation to civil authorities,” O’Neel said. “The diocese could not do more than the civil authorities could.”….
In a statement, Vasa apologized to the boy and other victims who suffered at the hands of pedophiles in the church.
“I humbly apologize to this young person on behalf of the Church that failed to protect them. I also take this occasion to apologize to all victims for the harm done to them. This perversity, though prevalent in all parts of society, was allowed to persist in the Church for too long,” Vasa said.
The diocese, which serves about 160,000 Catholics from Petaluma to the Oregon border, has paid about $25 million to sex abuse victims since 1990….