Minn. diocese releases list of accused clergy, Jimmy Savile victims call for single inquiry
January 8, 2014 Comments Off on Minn. diocese releases list of accused clergy, Jimmy Savile victims call for single inquiry
Minn. diocese releases list of accused clergy
Friday, January 3, 2014
ST. CLOUD, Minn. (AP) — The Diocese of St. Cloud joined other Roman Catholic dioceses around Minnesota Friday in releasing lists of clergy credibly accused of sexually abusing minors.
The St. Cloud diocese released a list of 33 names. Twenty-one people on the list are dead.
On Thursday, a man who says he was sexually abused by a priest in the mid-1960s held a news conference with his attorneys to demand the list’s release.
But Jane Marrin, communications consultant for the diocese, told the St. Cloud Times the diocese already had been working on the list….
So in mid-December, I decided to release the names of those clergy,” (Bishop Donald) Kettler said.
Jimmy Savile victims call for single inquiry
By David Sillito Media Correspondent 6 January 2014
Victims of Jimmy Savile are calling for a single inquiry into how the ex-BBC DJ and presenter managed to evade justice.
There are more than 30 individual investigations being carried out by organisations linked to Savile.
About 50 of the people who have reported being abused say they fear key questions will not be answered about how Savile, who died in 2011, operated.
But the NSPCC charity says creating one overarching inquiry could mean lessons are not learnt as quickly.
Solicitor Alan Collins, who is representing 60 of Savile’s victims in compensation claims, said the majority of his clients fear an unsatisfactory resolution from the separate investigations.
He told the BBC: “It should be one inquiry, chaired by a high court judge. I fear if this does not happen, an opportunity will have been lost, not only for the victims but for the country as a whole.
“The risk (of not having one inquiry) is justice may be incomplete.”….