August 30, 2012 Comments Off on Belgian woman in child-sex case enters convent – Marc Dutroux case
Belgian woman in child-sex case enters convent
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
A woman who let two 8-year-old girls starve in a cellar and helped her pedophile husband carry out horrific abuse of other girls went from prison to a convent Tuesday, outraging Belgians who opposed the early release of one of the country’s most despised criminals.
The nation’s highest court approved Michelle Martin’s release after serving 16 years of a 30-year prison term for her role in the mid-1990s kidnappings, rapes and killings by her then-husband, Marc Dutroux….
The Dutroux case horrified the nation and led to widespread changes in Belgian police procedures. Police had visited the home twice in the mid-1990s and didn’t find the kidnapped girls, although they heard voices, and ignored a letter from Dutroux’s mother that expressed concern her son was abusing young girls.
Dutroux, an unemployed electrician and convicted pedophile on parole at the time of the crimes, was arrested in 1996 and convicted eight years later of abducting, imprisoning and raping six girls between the summers of 1995 and 1996. He was also found guilty of murdering two of the six girls, who ranged in age from 8 to 19 years old. He is serving a life sentence.
The last two of Dutroux’s kidnap victims were found alive in his basement a few days after his arrest.
Martin was accused of conspiracy in the kidnappings and imprisonment leading to the deaths of the two starved girls, who were held in a secret dungeon specially built in a cellar. Martin said she had been too scared to go into the cellar to feed them while Dutroux was serving a four-month jail term for car theft.
One year after they were kidnapped, the bodies of the two were found in the garden of a house that Dutroux owned.
Martin has depicted herself as a passive culprit of the psychopath Dutroux, but was blamed for aiding her husband and letting the young girls die.
August 28, 2012 Comments Off on Should Those Who Download Child P_rn Pay the Victims, Rapists Seeking Custody
Pricing Amy: Should Those Who Download Child Pornography Pay the Victims?
Sep 1, 2012 By Lorelei Laird
….It started like so many other instances of child exploitation: Amy’s uncle showed her pornography and then began raping her on a regular basis.
Amy recalls telling him the penetration hurt, but it kept happening. And like most child victims, she trusted him when he told her it was a normal thing adults do with children, that he loved her and that it was their special secret, according to her victim impact statement. The uncle was eventually arrested and incarcerated. Amy grew into her teenage years and, with the help of therapy, seemed to be growing into a relatively happy, healthy, normal teenager, according to court documents. Then the other shoe dropped: Amy learned that her uncle had photographed the abuse and put the images online, creating a permanent record of her agonizing abuse.
It’s not exactly clear when Amy’s pictures began circulating online, but court records indicate the digital images date back to as early as 1998.
Amy, now in her early 20s, began sliding backward in her recovery. Court filings indicate that she suffers from depression, is withdrawn and anxious, and has a history of alcohol abuse. She’s been unable to succeed in college or work and is reluctant to socialize. While some experiences still trigger bad memories, she’s more concerned about being recognized in public by people who downloaded “her” images….
Under the Crime Victims’ Rights Act, the government must notify Amy and other child pornography victims anytime anyone is arrested by federal authorities for possessing their images. Her attorney, James Marsh of New York City, says his office has received at least 1,500 required notices of federal prosecutions for possession of those images. “The day after we were retained in 2008, we had someone open up all these notices she received in the calendar years 2006 and 2007,” Marsh says. “It took two days just to open the envelopes.”….
Almost any time Marsh receives a notice of prosecution on Amy’s behalf, he files a formal request for more than $3 million to cover all of Amy’s psychological treatment, lost income and attorney fees. Marsh believes Amy is the first child pornography victim to use federal crime victim restitution laws in this way, and one of a very few nationwide. He knows of two other victims pursuing this strategy, including “Vicky,” another young woman whose victimization as a child is recorded in widely traded images. A third victim’s lawyer pursuing a similar strategy did not return calls for this article….
Masha’s Law, part of the 2006 Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act, which permits young adults to sue those who download images of their childhood sexual abuse…..
American Bar Association Journal—Pricing Amy: Should Those Who Download Child Pornography Pay the Victims? By James R. Marsh on August 27, 2012
This feature article about the Marsh Law Firm’s efforts to secure restituiton for victims of child pornography appears in this month’s American Bar Association Journal which is read by over one million attorneys and corporate counsel worldwide. Here are several excerpts from Pricing Amy: Should Those Who Download Child Pornography Pay the Victims?
It’s not exactly clear when Amy’s pictures began circulating online, but court records indicate the digital images date back to as early as 1998.
Amy and her lawyer are, however, fighting back. Her battle is part of a series of cases—now wending their way through the federal courts—trying to help the victims of child pornography by seeking financial restitution, not from the perpetrator but from the untold number of people who subsequently download their pornographic images.
Amy could be considered the leader in this legal trend. Her pictures are among the most widely traded in the underground world of online child pornography.
Using the restitution provisions of the Violence Against Women Act, Marsh has begun utilizing the courts to request financial restitution from those convicted of possessing images of Amy’s child sexual abuse.
Imagine You Were Raped. Got Pregnant. Then Your Rapist Sought Custody.
It happens—and in many states there are no laws to keep rapists from terrorizing their victims all over again. Read on, Todd Akin.
—By Dana Liebelson and Sydney Brownstone Fri Aug. 24, 2012
The debate over Rep. Todd Akin’s widely condemned comments on “legitimate rape” has largely centered on abortion and Republican efforts to outlaw the procedure, even in cases of rape. But the controversy has also uncovered a little-discussed issue: When some rape victims do choose to give birth to a child conceived through sexual assault, they find that the legal door is left wide open for their victimization to continue. It sounds unfathomable, but in many states the law makes it possible for rapists to assert their parental rights and use custody proceedings as a weapon against their victims….
Part of the problem is that many rapes go unprosecuted. According to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network, only 9 out of every 100 rapes are prosecuted and just 5 lead to a felony conviction. But of the 19 states that have laws addressing the custody of rape-conceived children, 13 require proof of conviction in order to waive the rapist’s parental rights. Two more states have provisions on the issue that only apply if the victim is a minor or, in one of those cases, a stepchild or adopted child of the rapist. Another three states don’t have laws that deal with custody of a rapist’s child specifically, but do restrict the parental rights of a father or mother who sexually abused the other parent.
August 27, 2012 Comments Off on 2012 Ritual Abuse Conference Transcripts
Grief — The Good, the Bad, the Ugly, and the Transcendent
Janet Thomas has been in active recovery from the effects of ritual abuse for more than 25 years. Her book, “Day Breaks Over Dharamsala–A Memoir of Life Lost and Found” chronicles her personal journey. “The Battle in Seattle” an earlier book, chronicles the global struggle for justice that we are now seeing rise. She writes and teaches writing in India and in the U.S.
My Life and Attitudes Before and After My Recovery
Dave Staffen was satanically abused for over 50 years by those he loved and trusted, as well as others who were paid to harm him for his refusal, as a child to join their cult. Dave hopes his story and recovery will help others by giving them hope and courage.
Recent Child Abuse Crimes and Efforts to Unite Survivors http://ritualabuse.us/smart-conference/2012-conference/recent-child-abuse-crimes-and-efforts-to-unite-survivors/
Neil Brick is a survivor of Masonic based Ritual Abuse and MK-ULTRA. He is the editor of S.M.A.R.T. – A Ritual Abuse Newsletter.
August 25, 2012 Comments Off on 422 sex abuse claims filed against Christian Brothers
422 sex abuse claims filed against Christian Brothers
Roughly 160 originate from Newfoundland and Labrador; religious order declared bankruptcy in 2011 CBC News Aug 23, 2012
The final number for claims against the Christian Brothers in North America is in, surprising even some of the lawyers handling them. Christian Brothers entities in North America declared bankruptcy last year. The deadline for filing suit against the order expired Aug. 1. The total number of claims approved is 422. About 160 are from Newfoundland and Labrador. The rest originate from the United States….
The claims are for alleged sexual abuse only. Those from this province go back as far as 1940 and continue into the early 1960s. About a third of the American claims come from Washington state where the brothers had an orphanage. Another third come from New York state. The rest originate from places as scattered as New Jersey, Illinois, Montana, California and Hawaii.
August 25, 2012 Comments Off on Upcoming Webinar: Sat, Sept 8 Janet Thomas “The Spirit of Healing”
Saturday, September 8
12:00 noon Pacific Time
Presenter: Janet Thomas
“The Spirit of Healing”
Janet Thomas will discuss her book, “Day Breaks Over Dharamsala A Memoir of Life Lost and Found,” a journey through spiritual healing from mind control/ritual/sexual abuse. The deep dilemma for survivors of extreme abuse is the fundamental estrangement from the sacred self. How do we reclaim it? Integrate it? Restore the sense of a spirited and nurturing self? How do we connect to the place inside us beyond and beneath our brilliant minds that nurtures and sustains us in our daily lives and in our relationships? These questions, and their answers, will be shared and explored.
Janet Thomas has been in active and conscious healing from ritual abuse/mind control experimentation for 25 years. Her parallel lives include many years as a poet, playwright, activist, magazine editor and author of non-fiction books, including “The Battle in Seattle The Story Behind and Beyond the WTO Demonstrations.” She lives and teaches in India and on an island in the Pacific Northwest.
Registration closes Thursday evening September 6, 2012
To reserve a space in the webinar, e-mail Shamai at firstname.lastname@example.org and give her this information:
1. Your name
2. The webinar you wish to attend: “The Spirit of Healing”
3. Amount and method of payment (check, PayPal, money order)
4. Your preferred e-mail address (so we can send you instructions)
5. The name you will be using for the webinar. (This does not have to be your real name or your message board screen name.)
You will receive a confirmation email immediately and an invitation link and instructions after the registration closes
Webinars are on a sliding scale from $50.00 to full scholarship (while we offer full scholarships for webinars please consider paying whatever you are able to. Even $5 will help to cover the cost of the webinar provider). Please remember to factor in the cost of the telephone call if you don’t have a computer headset. The PayPal button is near the bottom of the page at http://www.survivorship.org/webinars.html
If you wish to pay by check please send it to: Survivorship, Family Justice Center, 470 27th Street, Oakland, CA 94612.
Survivorship members may listen to past webinars in the members’ section.
We strive to present all webinars in our archives, and sometimes, for technical reasons, we are unable to.
For information on joining Survivorship, go to http://www.survivorship.org/about/membership.html
Complete details on all our webinars are at http://www.survivorship.org/webinars.html
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Shamai@survivorship.org
August 24, 2012 Comments Off on Former Pacoima teacher pleads no contest to molesting 13 students
Former Pacoima teacher pleads no contest to molesting 13 students
Paul Chapel III, a former third-grade teacher at Pacoima’s Telfair Elementary, faces 25 years to life in prison, the L.A. County district attorney’s office says.
By Richard Winton, Los Angeles Times
August 21, 2012
A former Telfair Elementary teacher pleaded no contest Monday to molesting 13 students at the Pacoima school and faces 25 years to life in prison, the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office said.
As a preliminary hearing was to begin for Paul Chapel III, he pleaded no contest to 13 counts of lewd acts on a child, said Deputy Dist. Atty. Elena Abramson.
“They were all students at Telfair, aged 8 and 9…. Some of them were students in his class and others he met outside the classroom in breaks or after school,” Abramson said. The molestations of seven females and six males occurred from September 2006 to April 2011.
Prosecutors last fall charged Chapel, 51, with molesting four students. Los Angeles Unified school officials waited until February to tell parents about the third-grade teacher’s arrest, however, doing so after two teachers at Miramonte Elementary School accused of molestation were arrested and reporters questioned the district about other teachers removed for similar accusations.
The school district fired Chapel in March. In May prosecutors charged him with molesting nine additional students. Some of the victims were in San Fernando Superior Court on Monday, prepared to testify.
Lawsuits filed by two of the victims against the school district say Chapel kissed the children and fondled their genitals.
Court documents alleged that the district ignored repeated complaints about Chapel and allowed him to return to work despite several red flags in his history. He had previously left a private school after allegedly making inappropriate remarks during a sex education class. He was tried but not convicted in a 1997 alleged molestation….