Archive for the ‘child abuse’ Category

Harrowing tales at abuse royal commission

Harrowing tales at abuse royal commission
By Australian Associated Press
29 June 2014

Forty years later in 2006 the man giving evidence read an article by Tommy Campion, another former resident of the North Coast Children’s Home….

In the 1980s he had been diagnosed with depression and attempted suicide several times. He now had leukaemia. In broken voice he told of beatings that left him scarred; of being left at a table for ten hours because he could not eat the food. If he threw up he would be made to eat the vomit.

A priest who seemed kind made him lie naked while he performed a pseudo-religious ritual that involved molesting him sexually….

His life has been no life just like many among the thousands of people who are coming forward to tell their stories – often for the first time….

Children of abuse survivors are learning for the first time why their mum or dad could never hug them. A landscape of broken lives, failed relationships, drug use, anger, suicides, bravery and extraordinary honesty while people struggle still for happiness is being painted by these witnesses.

Preparing for and giving evidence is a renewed trauma and the commission always has counsellors on hand to help them through.

Institutions, the Christian and Marist brothers, the Salvation Army, Catholic and Anglican dioceses, the YMCA, Scouts Australia, state run child-protection agencies and police forces across the country are trying to explain how it happened on their watch.

When a Salvation Army witness started to say how different standards of child discipline in the 1960s and `70s might explain why boys were beaten until they bled in homes in NSW and Queensland, commission chair Justice Peter McClellan interrupted to remind her she was talking about criminal assaults.

Brand protection, systemic failures, wilful ignorances, whether it be in the YMCA, the Scouts or the Catholic Church are being uncovered daily at these hearings.

The Catholic and Anglican churches moved abusers when complaints were made.

They kept no records that can now be produced.

In the case of the Marist Brothers, a man who was jailed for 12 years in 2006 was put on a plane to a clinic for sex-offending priests in Canada three days after the order knew police were investigating him for offences dating back years….
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-2674516/Harrowing-tales-abuse-royal-commission.html

Takes 22 YEARS for survivors to come forward, Girls targeted from nine, boys from ten, Rolf Harris child sex abuse education video surfaces after entertainer found guilty in London court

Girls targeted from nine, boys from ten and it takes 22 YEARS for survivors to come forward: Chilling statistics of child sex abuse revealed in Royal Commission report

Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse released its interim report on Monday
Analysis so far shows 90 per cent of Australian sex abusers are men
It takes men longer than women to disclose their abuse
The commission hasn’t decided on a national redress scheme for survivors
Has asked government for $104 million and an extra two years to do its job
By Sarah Dean and Australian Associated Press
30 June 2014

It takes an average of 22 years for survivors of child abuse to come forward and many Australians who have been abused still haven’t spoken out, the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse says.

In its interim report, released on Monday, the commission said on average female victims were nine years old and male victims 10 years old when the abuse started and that it takes men longer than women to disclose their abuse.

The commission, which began its inquiry into institutional abuse on 13 January 2013, said its analysis also showed 90 per cent of sex abusers are men.

‘We understand that although many people have come forward to the Royal Commission, it is likely that they represent only a minority of those abused,’  the commission said….
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2674893/Royal-Commission-finds-takes-22-years-survivors-child-sex-abuse-come-forward-average-abuse-begins-9-girls-10-boys.html

Rolf Harris child sex abuse education video surfaces after entertainer found guilty in London court  Esther Han  July 1, 2014

….This is the opening scene of what is now an unsettling 20-minute long anti-child-abuse video that prosecutors planned to play for the jury at Harris’ indecent assault trial before it was barred by the judge. Overnight, Harris was declared guilty of all 12 charges of indecent assault against four girls, from 1968 to 1986.

The video, called ‘Kids Can Say No’, was developed in the mid-1980s, when he was indecently assaulting young women and girls – including one as young as seven or eight.

Harris had commissioned and fronted the child protection video, with endorsement from the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, after being inspired by similar programs in Australia. In the period when the video began to be widely shown in schools, youth clubs and health institutes in the United Kingdom, the court found he was also having sexual encounters with his daughter’s best friend.

In 1986, he had sexually abused an eight-year-old girl at a community centre near her home when Harris performed ‘Two Little Boys’ for the children….
http://www.smh.com.au/world/rolf-harris-child-sex-abuse-education-video-surfaces-after-entertainer-found-guilty-in-london-court-20140701-zsrph.html

S.M.A.R.T. Stop Mind Control and Ritual Abuse Today Child Abuse Newsletter

S.M.A.R.T. (Stop Mind Control and Ritual Abuse Today) child abuse and ritual abuse newsletter was founded in 1995. The purpose of S.M.A.R.T. is to help stop ritual abuse and child abuse and to help those who have been ritually abused.  We work toward this goal by disseminating information on the connections between secretive organizations, ritual abuse, and mind control, by encouraging healing from the damage done by child abuse, ritual abuse and mind control. We have a web site, a bimonthly newsletter, an e-mail discussion list and annual conferences. Our webpage contains a large amount of data and evidence about child abuse and ritual abuse. We respond to skeptics and those that attack our work at our website https://ritualabuse.us  .

Proof That Ritual Abuse Exists
https://ritualabuse.us/ritualabuse/

Large List of Ritual Abuse References
https://ritualabuse.us/ritualabuse/studies/satanic-ritual-abuse-evidence-with-information-on-the-mcmartin-preschool-case/

100 complaints alleging mistreatment of migrant children by border agents, Prestigious Indonesian School Fights to Regain Trust After Child-Abuse Charges

US response to border children crisis now includes abuse probe (+video)

Advocates for immigrants this week filed at least 100 complaints alleging mistreatment of migrant children by border agents. DHS chief says an investigation will ensue, as border patrol commissioner defends agents.
By Patrik Jonsson, Staff writer June 13, 2014

Hundreds of undocumented children who crossed the border into the United States on their own are being sent to Southern California.

The recent crush of migrant children trying to cross the US border has now led the Department of Homeland Security to open a probe into long-running complaints of poor treatment of innocents at the hands of US border patrol agents.

DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson’s announcement that his department will investigate claims of abuse comes amid an unprecedented surge of “unaccompanied alien children” streaming across the Rio Grande Valley sector and into south Texas.

Children fleeing violence and drawn by vague promises of asylum in the US, now being apprehended at the rate of more than 250 a week, has overwhelmed both the border patrol and the Department of Health and Human Services, which manages guardian-less child refugees….

Allegations include children becoming ill from eating moldy food and having to drink water from toilet tanks, and being called liars for begging for medications….
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2014/0613/US-response-to-border-children-crisis-now-includes-abuse-probe-video

Prestigious Indonesian School Fights to Regain Trust After Child-Abuse Charges
Jakarta International School Administrators Move After Arrests of Outside Contractors
By Richard C. Paddock  June 13, 2014

JAKARTA—One of Asia’s leading international schools has become embroiled in a child-abuse scandal that has resulted in the arrest of six janitors provided by an outside contractor, one apparent suicide and a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against the school.

Police investigations have spread to some teachers and staff at the Jakarta International School, who deny any wrongdoing. School administrators, who say they were caught off guard when an allegation first surfaced two months ago, are now trying to restore the school’s reputation….
http://online.wsj.com/articles/prestigious-indonesian-school-fights-to-regain-trust-after-child-abuse-charges-1402685384

ICE seeks ‘John Doe’ in largest-ever child porn investigation, Claims ADF abuse victims ignored by specialist taskforce

ICE seeks ‘John Doe’ in largest-ever child porn investigation
Jun 09, 2014 By Rob Polansky and Tina Martin

NEW HAVEN, CT (WFSB) -
Federal officials sought the public’s help Monday to find a suspected child pornography distributor.

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations said “John Doe” helped facilitate one of the largest underground networks ever encountered by law enforcement.

ICE said the man was the only remaining suspected administrator of the website. They believed the suspect’s name was Shaun and that he may be between the ages of 40 and 50….

The search was part of Operation Round Table, one of the largest child exploitation investigations in history. It involved victims in 39 states, including Connecticut, and five additional countries.

As a result of the operation, investigators said they identified 251 victims. Eight of the victims were female while 243 were male. The majority of the victims were between 13 and 15 years old. A handful of victims were 6 years old and younger….
http://www.wfsb.com/story/25729030/feds-seek-help-in-finding-child-porn-suspect

Claims ADF abuse victims ignored by specialist taskforce
June 10, 2014  Timna Jacks
Victims of rape and sexual abuse at the Defence Force were never told about a Government taskforce set up to investigate instances of abuse in the military and provide compensation to those affected.

The ABC TV’s Four Corners program has broadcast four case studies of former cadets who report being sexually assaulted and raped at the Australian Defence Force Academy in the 1990s and 2009 but have not had their cases investigated by a specialist taskforce, the Defence Abuse Response Taskforce (DART).

DART was established to assess complaints of abuse, particularly of the ADFA 24 cases –  a group of about two dozen cadets who were sexually abused at the military college between 1994 and 1998. It would also determine whether any ADFA 24 victims or perpetrators are still serving members of the ADF.

However, the Four Corners investigation revealed only seven of the ADFA 24 have lodged submissions, and the deadline for submissions was in May last year….

DART has already assessed more than 2,400 complaints of abuse, paid $28 million in compensation and referred 63 matters to police….
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/claims-adf-abuse-victims-ignored-by-specialist-taskforce-20140609-39thv.html

‘Witchhunt Narrative Retells ’80s Day Care Abuse, 299,933 indecent images with 478 of the worst kind in category five, including ritual and satanic abuse, Second UN panel criticizes Vatican on sex abuse, more than three million reports of child abuse

- ‘Witchhunt Narrative’ Retells ’80s Day Care Abuse
” an awful lot of abused children deserve an apology”

- Former company director from Dewsbury had more than 300,000 indecent images of children
“Analysis revealed he had 299,933 indecent images with 478 of the worst kind in category five, including ritual and satanic abuse.”

– Second UN panel criticizes Vatican on sex abuse

- Child abuse numbers aren’t pretty
“more than three million reports of child abuse are made in the United States each year and the U.S. has one of the worst records in the world”

‘Witchhunt Narrative’ Retells ’80s Day Care Abuse
By Wendy Murphy
WeNews contributing editor
Friday, May 23, 2014

For readers who learned about these cases from conventional media, this book will be a shocking revelation of how reporters skewed criminal cases to the disadvantage of victims. Now it seems an awful lot of abused children deserve an apology.

(WOMENSENEWS)–In his explosive new book, “The Witchhunt Narrative,” Brown University Professor Ross Cheit challenges everything you think you know about the “day care center” hysteria of the 1980s.

The infamous California McMartin case, for example, was widely perceived as a terrible injustice where innocent adults were persecuted based on statements from hysterical parents, bad cops, fascist prosecutors and incompetent children. But as it turns out in this book, it wasn’t such an injustice after all.

Several of the teachers charged were innocent, but the underlying claims about many children being sexually abused by Ray Buckey (aided by his mother) were quite credible….

Cheit, a lawyer with a doctorate in public policy, meticulously documents the evidence from many of the high-profile cases and proves time and time again that nearly all the day care center cases were based on credible and compelling evidence. The children in many of the stories he discusses made statements independent from one another, free from the influence of parents, police or anyone else. Contrary to the theme of much media coverage, there was no reason to suspect the children were being made to lie by vindictive parents….
http://www.womensenews.org/story/books/140521/witchhunt-narrative-retells-80s-day-care-abuse

Former company director from Dewsbury had more than 300,000 indecent images of children May 24, 2014

A former company director from Dewsbury has been exposed as a child porn pervert collecting more than 300,000 of the worst images of girls on his computer.

Stephen Kay, 58, downloaded and distributed child porn from the internet to fuel his unnatural lust. He did it behind the backs of his wife and daughter while working for the IPS Group as a project engineer.

Kay was made redundant from his job and asked to leave the family home after a police raid seized his computers, USB sticks and a hard drive from his home in Carlton Road.

Analysis revealed he had 299,933 indecent images with 478 of the worst kind in category five, including ritual and satanic abuse. In addition he had 7,795 images of category seven of extreme pornography.

Kay appeared at Hull Crown Court for sentence on Monday after pleading guilty to six charges of possession of indecent images of children and one charge of distributing images….

Kay was given a two-year suspended prison sentence, given a Sexual Offences Prevention order and must undergo a sex offenders treatment programme. He was also banned from working with children and must sign on the National Sex Offenders’ Register for 10 years.
http://www.batleynews.co.uk/news/local/former-company-director-from-dewsbury-had-more-than-300-000-indecent-images-of-children-1-6636008

Second UN panel criticizes Vatican on sex abuse
By John L. Allen Jr. Globe Staff   May 23, 2014
ROME — For the second time, a United Nations panel has criticized the Vatican for its response to the child sexual abuse scandals in the Catholic Church, charging it with failing to mandate that abuse charges be reported to police, moving clergy to evade discipline, and failing to see that victims obtain adequate compensation.

“Clergy . . . were transferred to other dioceses and institutions where they remained in contact with minors and others who are vulnerable,” the United Nations Committee against Torture charged in a new report, “and in some cases committed abuse in their subsequent placements.”

The report follows a similar indictment from the Committee on the Rights of the Child that appeared in February, which asserted that the Vatican had fostered “impunity” for abusers….

Unlike the earlier UN assessment, the new report mixes criticism with praise for steps taken by the Catholic Church over the last decade to combat child abuse, including tougher legal sanctions for clergy and the creation of a new papal commission in December 2013 to press for reform. That commission includes Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley of Boston…..

At the same time, the committee suggested that pledges of zero tolerance by church officials aren’t always effectively translated into action….

In its report, the panel said it was “concerned by reports’’ that Catholic officials “resist the principle of mandatory reporting’’ of abuse allegations….
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/05/22/second-panel-criticzes-vatican-sex-abuse/YuX300eGKJYDNUPVdTXcmJ/story.html

Child abuse numbers aren’t pretty
By Patsy Kelly Friday, May 23, 2014
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) – Local children are suffering every day. It’s a hidden epidemic of child abuse and neglect.

Nationally, more than three million reports of child abuse are made in the United States each year and the U.S. has one of the worst records in the world.

More than four children die every day as a result of child abuse. And it can have long-term effects throughout the next generations….
http://wthitv.com/2014/05/23/child-abuse-numbers-arent-pretty/

 

Bill changes requirements for reporting child abuse

Bill changes requirements for reporting child abuse
By Kristen Doerschner
Sunday, May 11, 2014

It took nine years and a national scandal for a bill that strengthens child abuse reporting requirements for school employees to make its way through the Legislature.

The bill — which cleared the House on March 18 and the Senate Wednesday — was first introduced in 2005 by Sen. Wayne D. Fontana, D-42, Pittsburgh. Fontana, determined to see the bill become law, said he has re-introduced the bill every session since then.

The bill was presented to Gov. Tom Corbett Thursday, and, after it is signed, it will take effect Dec. 31.

Two of the major changes regard who is required to report suspected abuse to the authorities and what types of injuries can be investigated.

School employees and anyone who provides a school-sponsored program, activity or service will be required to report suspect child abuse directly to the Department of Public Welfare’s ChildLine and to their school administrator.
http://www.timesonline.com/news/local_news/bill-changes-requirements-for-reporting-child-abuse/article_b250587e-3076-57bf-a883-c3d2744d9b58.html

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 135 other followers